2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How To Get In A Band?, info and experiences
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 12:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
We all play and NEED the audience to show or skill and music! At start is our brother,sister,mother , friend , girlfriend...But as we develop our skill , our hunger for more people to show it to rises! Its fun practicing at home , often alone, but IMO even more fun lays in playing in a band or jamming with a friend.So I'm opening this thread to give you my own experience and for us all to share good advices on how to get into a band...First thing you need to have is a motivation..Not all of us share the enthusiasm and will to go out and play with other people and its perfectly ok.But for those of us who have such aspiration its a valuable first step.For me it started in primary school...I had a few instrument playing friends and after a lot of planing etc we finally "made" a bend (later on we split up even before we "started" but it was a great experience that driven me on to the path to find a band later on in which I play today).Its not that hard when you think about it..You need to find an guitar or whatever instrument playing friend , talk with him to find if he wants to be in a bend..If you both share the same vision you are on a good track...Start jamming together.Most bends start by playing covers so its a good and safe start..After you got one person beside you its a little easier to get the rest of the members...Make ads on forums,myspace and other community sites, meet mutual friends try to get them warmed up for your story...After you get essential band together or most part of it, go and rent a practice room and enjoy in your first rehearsal of many smile.gif
You need to be persistent and ready to compromise...At young age its hard to find a good drummer for example but if you have someone that is willing to learn , give him the chance to play drums in a practice room...You start slowly and than build up your goals and everything from there..Key thing here, so to sum it up, is to make friends and mostly ones that play or ones that will start to play.Primary/high schools and community web sites are best to find such people in.So go out and be friendly and not shy wink.gif After you assemble the band , have regular practices as long as you need it for you all to start sounding good and everything...Gigs are another subject..
Remember that if you REALLY want something to happen, it will happen to YOU if you stay motivated and push hard!
Also don't always choose band members by their skill , rather look how you get along with them as persons, that is more important than skill which is relative term (and with some good practice can be changed in a short amount of time).

Also there is another approach to this subject..If you want to get in a band you can look for a existing one,even if you don't know the members...Answer bands ads when looking for members , also POST your OWN ads that you are a guitar player (with such preferences) and that you are looking for a band.Most likely someone will contact you for audition etc...Auditions are cool , don't fear in advance of being rejected or something that attitude won't bring you anywhere.Rather just be yourself , prepare the required material nicely and go to audition and have fun! They will look at your skill , but your personality will be the one that will make them accept you.

Here at GMC we have virtual bands and collaborations..Take a participation..That is a really unique way to be in a band with people all around the world.Try it see how it goes for you, its fun trust me!!!

Lets see others info , how you got in a band , have some advices how to help others get in a band?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 26 2008, 12:20 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2008, 12:29 PM
Instructor
I got in a band by audition biggrin.gif

No seriously, Bogdan is 100% right, getting into band, becoming musician, and getting the affirmation from the audience, and record label is something that is every musicians dream. We all wanna become respectful musicians and push forward and become as famous as we can. So the key thing is organization and hard work. Determination and hard will to be something, make something that people will like. And after all that hard work, when the confirmation comes out of those people, there's nothing better in the world.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 26 2008, 02:02 PM
GMC:er
Everything you said Bogdan, I completly agree with!

I want to add a few things though, first of all, like Bogdan said, you need to be able to compromise, and understand that while you might be a virtouse musician, most people are not, and finding people with exceptional skills, especially if you live in a small town, can be really hard! and when you do find someone, there's a big chance he will already be in a band.

Again, like Bogdan said, personality is the most important thing, you may be a virtouso guitar player, and let's say you found two drummers, one is preety average, has only been playing for a year or two, but he's very open to everything(music styles and learning further), while the other is a more proffessional drummer, which can really pull some amazing stuff, but he is very closed that he wants to play progressive music and will show off his skills at every spot possible.

Which one will you choose? well, if progressive music is what you want to be doing, than you should defintly go with the proffesional, but if it's everything else you should settle for the lesser skilled drummer, you'll get along better with him, and there's more chances the band won't break up, you'll only need to make sure he has the motivation to improve!

Now, as for vocalists, these are probably the hardset to find! ussually, unless you'r lucky enough to know a good vocalist who actually shares you'r intrest in music, you will have to compromise, or learn to sing on you'r own, either way it will probably won't be above avarage, but it's ok, and beside vocal capabilities, a vocalist needs to have good charisma, which is probably even more important than his vocal abilities, that's why you should probably pick a a less than average vocalist that got some b***s and self confidence, over a great sounding vocalist which only focuses on how he sounds, and will probably end up just standing on stage with his eyes closed, or whatnot.

About gigs, don't expect to earn money right on you'r first gig, you should probably find some local festivals/shows who are open to any band willing to play for free, use those to get some stage experience with you'r band, and hopefully get some local fans, and most importantly, if the first gig doesn't go too well, it's ok, you'r all very nervous and things happen, don't give up, learn from you'r mistakes and do better on you'r next gig!

There's alot more to cover but I'll leave this to other, more experienced musicians.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 26 2008, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
O man i wish i could find a band to play with someday soon but i dont know many mucisians were i live

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 02:09 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Aug 26 2008, 03:06 PM) *
O man i wish i could find a band to play with someday soon but i dont know many mucisians were i live

Post the ad on myspace , facebook or something ? Tell that you play guitar and that you are looking for jamming friends/band..See if any of your friends from school or whatever knows anyone who plays..If they do try to get in contact, just for casual jamming than develop...I think you will surly meet up with right people if you look hard ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 26 2008, 02:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 26 2008, 02:24 PM
Singing Instructor
Great topic Bole ,and good points you made,and every body else.
My story is a bit different(but not that much).I agree when you sad that when finding at list one person that agrees with you it is a lot easier.But there is a braking point in a band time line,where you haw to decide,is this s all a game or I want it to be some thing more(even my life).That is where you see with whom you play,and when some selection are made.
For example,a had to trow out(sort of speaking)that person who was with me from the beginning,because he did not understand the band so serius as I did,and it was very hard for me,but then you start to find the people with same interests(or if you are lucky you will find them in the beginning.)
if you are a young band,it is not that important to find good musicians as good people around you.And if you are a frontman,be always strait forward with the rest of the band.Be shore that all of you are on the same page.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Noangels
Aug 26 2008, 02:41 PM
The trouble is finding other musicians at the same level you are at,or finding any at all!Not sure about the myspace thingy as my band avertised on a local music group in the the area looking for a singer and we got nothing!big zero
Have always found our members by word of mouth,just can take a long time to find a decent singer

Best way to get into a band is to keep your chops up,make sure your gear is good and make sure your willing to travel to meet the other lads(or girls).also be modest about your playing,let your fingers do the real talking:)

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 05:07 PM
Advertise everywhere you can that you are looking for a singer and you may find someone eventually.

Yeah you should all talk all the time about your goals and expectations from a band, you all need to be on the same page definitively for it to work.Also one more thing , at start some bands fall apart because the people were having different ambitions , you should not stop at that point.Change the band member that wants to go , don't let the whole bend suffer because of individuals...Be persistent and in the end you will have a good band members rooster smile.gif

Regular band meetings and discussions about future plans and goals are always welcome!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 26 2008, 05:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 26 2008, 05:10 PM
ooh im glad somebody posted this because i need a band

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2008, 05:24 PM
Instructor
It is always best to keep looking for a band that has big ambitions and can drive you forward. I played with friends when I was younger but as nobody understood this serious and didn't advance musically, then it was time for me to leave. So if you do have a band that you feel it is limiting you to express your self as a musician it is best to be honest about it, and admit it to your friends. If they are normal, they will understand. So looking for a band that will have prospects, and that you know you can contribute to is a way to go when starting.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Aug 26 2008, 06:10 PM) *
ooh im glad somebody posted this because i need a band

Cool man , if you have any questions tell us about your position and doubts, maybe we could help you!
Try to find a band it will be fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 26 2008, 05:53 PM
I agree on word Bogdan use, "make" a band. If you never had a band, the most likely way to get one is to make a band.
That´s the way I did it at first. Actually, making a band was a dream I had since I was teenager, but it only happened at the age of 23. And that´s actually what pushed me to learn more guitar ( I only knew how to play rhythm on acoustic guitar. After that I started learning electric and soloing).
So yes, a band is a source a motivation. On the other hand, having motivation is also essential for keeping a band together.

When making a band you are searching amongst your friends who wants to do that. It may be that some never played an instrument before (my brother bought his first bass, just because we decide to make a band. First song we played was With or without U2, because the bass is just the chords tone... tongue.gif ). Some people may disappoint you by not evolving at all. But you may also get impressed by the evolution and motivation reach after some time (as the singer from my band in Brazil) smile.gif
Also, the band is likely to part at some point (because some people get more motivated than other), but if it started amongst true friends, it shall not be a problem.

As for finding a band, I would suggest to look at local sites or guitar forums. That's how I did when I arrived in Denmark (and I could barely read a word in Danish tongue.gif )

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 26 2008, 05:59 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 26 2008, 06:53 PM) *
As for finding a band, I would suggest to look at local sites or guitar forums. That's how I did when I arrived in Denmark (and I could barely read a word in Danish tongue.gif )

Speaking from experience that is a very good way of finding new musicians for your band!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 26 2008, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Aug 26 2008, 03:06 PM) *

http://www.jamma.se/

There are ads there, and you can also put up ads for yourself if you don't find a suiting band. Try it, playing in a band is definetly worth it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Aug 31 2008, 10:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Bogdan, thanks for putting this thread up ... it made me get to the step of finding a band ... and guess what: we started last Friday a new Bluesrock/Rock n Roll band.

I can only recommend it, am learning already a lot, movitation to really get songs right is increased incredibly and we are having a lot of fun as well smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
FrankW
Aug 31 2008, 10:50 PM
I only joined bands to meet wimmings...

+Quote Post
signularis
Sep 1 2008, 12:44 PM
i wish i could find a band as well, cause practising on your own is much diffrent then to practise as a band but i havent a sliodest clue how to find one anyone suggestions?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 1 2008, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Aug 31 2008, 11:39 PM) *
Bogdan, thanks for putting this thread up ... it made me get to the step of finding a band ... and guess what: we started last Friday a new Bluesrock/Rock n Roll band.

I can only recommend it, am learning already a lot, movitation to really get songs right is increased incredibly and we are having a lot of fun as well smile.gif

I so glad this thread motivated you to get in a band and you already found one!! That's just great news man! Its motivating and fun for sure , enjoy it mate a put your best efforts in it! smile.gif

QUOTE (FrankW @ Aug 31 2008, 11:50 PM) *
I only joined bands to meet wimmings...

So does musician wink.gif

QUOTE (signularis @ Sep 1 2008, 01:44 PM) *
i wish i could find a band as well, cause practising on your own is much diffrent then to practise as a band but i havent a sliodest clue how to find one anyone suggestions?

Check out my first post (yeah the long one) and also ones by other people, you will get a lot of info about that! In short , give out ads that you are looking for a band , answer bands ads if they are looking for musicians and last option would be to "make" or start a band smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
signularis
Sep 1 2008, 12:58 PM

Check out my first post (yeah the long one) and also ones by other people, you will get a lot of info about that! In short , give out ads that you are looking for a band , answer bands ads if they are looking for musicians and last option would be to "make" or start a band smile.gif
[/quote]
thanks i hope i can find one tough but the changes are slim since im not very expierenced i have played in a band tough it was lessons how to play as a band, but i9 was singing back then and playing bass so havent got that expierence yet

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 1 2008, 01:17 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I've just been asked to join a band here in Stavanger..
Gonna practice with them for three weeks now and then I'll play my first concert in a looooooooooooooooong time tongue.gif

It's rock, so it should suit me fine I think smile.gif

So we'll see if I get along with the guys in the band, and if I like the songs etc.
And if that goes fine, I'll probably join them full time smile.gif

But we also have another band in the works early next year when a friend of mine moves back to Stavanger, Norway.
That's more of a Punk/Rock band ala Green day etc.. So I'm not really sure what happens, but I'll at least be in a band smile.gif

Maybe I'll choose the one I like the most or join them both, I'm not sure..

Maybe I'll just stay a studiorat, who knows tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:01 PM