Picking Hand, resting pinky on guitar
wollace03
Sep 1 2008, 07:11 AM
GMC:er
hi!

i realized that some players rest their pinky on the guitar while picking - they are anchoring their hand i guess. well, i play guitar for a very long time noe and havn´t really thought about that since i started to really concentrate on some alternate picking lessons and then i tried resting my pinky, too. it didn´t work well but it somehow gave me a feeling of control..
do you rest your pinky on the guitar and why do you or why don´t you?
should i start to cange my right hand holding to deo that?

thanx and keep on rocking. cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2008, 07:15 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't, but I've tried once to see how that went for me but that felt very unconfortable and didn't really add anything useful (to me).
I suggest if you want to adopt that technique you practice it without going back for 1-2 weeks and it will feel like normal after that time. Expect it to feel aqward the first week.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 1 2008, 08:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
To gain more control has something true, it gave me a bit more stability in my hand. It helped as well to keep the same distance between pick and strings.

On the other side i got the feeling to be limited to move freely my hand/wrist, so i tried to change it since a while and now it works better for me without the pinky on the guitar.

Can not be wrong to try both, you will quickly feel what works better for you. In general i would suggest to try every kind of picking position to see the advantages and disadvantages of each technic and build your own technic from there.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 1 2008, 01:56 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I do this when I play acoustic stuff and do finger picking, but I consider it to be a bad habit. Like this I got used to play with only 3 fingers instead of all 5 as I used to do, so I definitely want to work on geting rid of this habit again...

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 1 2008, 04:52 PM
I don't.

I started coming to GMC not long after I first started to learn how to play. I've seen a lot of stories of people hitting the wall anchoring their pinky and having to relearn picking without anchoring.

There's a clip on youtube too where Dave Mustaine talks a bit about getting a speed increase when he stopped anchoring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYlzVN7twM

It's a 5 minute video, and what I'm talking about is somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00.

I generally rest my picking hand on the bridge when I can. On one of my guitars, there's not a comfortable place on the bridge to rest so it tends to ride a little too high on the strings, and I'm working on that..

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 1 2008, 04:58 PM
If you watch paul gilbert you'll see that you can get speedy enough without anchoring and look at his stringskips and dynamic control!!! To me, floating hand (not anchoring) is superior to every other technique!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 1 2008, 05:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I have my pinky resting on the string or the pickup, i don't really anchor it there and its free to move whenever it wants.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 1 2008, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Sep 1 2008, 05:58 PM) *
If you watch paul gilbert you'll see that you can get speedy enough without anchoring and look at his stringskips and dynamic control!!! To me, floating hand (not anchoring) is superior to every other technique!

What are you talking about? Paul always anchors his palm at bridge.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 1 2008, 05:52 PM
nope, not if you look at the right angle, as far as I've been able to see. I'll ask him in the end of this month. I'm going to attend one of his lessons (VIP thingy)

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 1 2008, 05:55 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 1 2008, 05:55 PM
i think it is like using different picking techniques.. it really differs based on what you are doing.. when i play slow stuff / simple i tend to anchor my pink and ring finger simply because it gives me more control and lets me feel more comfortable.. on the other hand when i do really fast AP i tend to get rid of the anchor, i sacrifice some control but with practice my lack of control seems like alot of control to others smile.gif Its all about how much you practice.. i find anchoring does cause a speed barrior so do both

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 1 2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know why, but I did not use that in the past. Now somehow I started doing it and do it almost always biggrin.gif

I think that it may actually make you a little bit slower (since your hand is not fully free to move), but in the other hand it gives you precision, since you always have a reference for the string you should pick. So for alternate picking solo I think it is a good habit.

For acoustic, I do think is a bad habit, as it does not allow some 5 finger rhythm tricks....

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 1 2008, 07:05 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I did that pinky anchoring naturally until one day I realized, and worked to get rid of it. Now I almost pick without doing it, I thought it wasn't a good thing because it seemed to detract movility & speed from my hand. But then again I'm no expert, maybe it has some advantages too.

All in all I'm glad I stopped though. I feel more free now.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
wollace03
Sep 1 2008, 08:21 PM
thanx so far..

seems that it is not the best idea to start to practice with anchoring the hand. as i said i do not anchor my hand with the pinky but i always had the feeling, that i should cause i see it often. but your comments show me, that it is better playing like i did so far.

about the speed:
when you watch michael angelo batio - he anchors not only with the pinky but also with another finger and he can play quite fast! but i guess that is one example of a person with his own unique technique....

This post has been edited by wollace03: Sep 1 2008, 08:37 PM

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 1 2008, 08:42 PM
Any technique works if you practice enough, different techniques has different advantages. Pick the one you're most comfortable with.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Sep 1 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
The thing about resting your pinky or any other part of your hand is to have some point to rest your hand while playing, being the electric guitar body too thin you ussually can´t just rest your forearm and get enought control if you are not resting your hand somewhere else. Some players rest the side of their hand on the bridge, some others the side of the hand in the lower strings, some others the pinky, and some others have their hand in the air and rest the weigh of the arm in the strings themself while they play. It is a personal thing, what you must achieve is to get a position or several ones that allow you to reach all the string and play them all with any desire pick attack angle, for example if you have big hands you can rest your pinky in the pickguard and still reach all the strings. Also there is the dumping utility of resting your hand, if you are playing the higher strings with a lot of gain, resting your hand in the lower strings will help you to damp them, but remember, just resty on the strings, don´t rub them or you will get extrange noises.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harris Sopovic
Sep 1 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
I tend to do this. I think it gives me stability when doing string-skip stuff and 3 string arpeggios. But im not a pro player and as the others say, its what works for you that matters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 2 2008, 02:51 AM
Instructor
I rest my pinky slightly on the pickguard, and must say it is a bad habit that I pull from my younger days. It is not that bad thing, and in most cases it is best not to anchor your hand on the pickguard at all. However you can see that many great players, including Clapton still had their pinky anchored, so this is just a matter as you see music and your ability to play it. If you play what you hear, no matter if you're anchored or not, than it doesn't really matter right? I think you see my point.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Sep 2 2008, 03:19 PM
I have had this problem since I started playing - when I started learning, I anchored my hand with my pinky to get better control and it works fine if you have little need for wrist movement. Something I have realized in the last year is that I can't strum and one of the culprits was anchoring my hand. For the last 2-3 months, I have worked hard on anchoring less (primarily through working on alternative picking where you need good wrist movements) and my playing has picked up a fair amount. I still do anchor sometimes and I think it is probably just fine to do so for certain riffs.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:13 PM