> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Mith's Guitar Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 1 2014, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith! how are you? Well, about the guitar tone, my trick to have more sustain and keep a clean tone is using a tube screamer before the amp. I do this in both real and virtual situations. This allows you to set the amp with less drive and use the pedal's drive to gain the sustain that your tone is lacking and keeping it clean and clear. Check out this lesson where I use a similar setting: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/As-I-Lay-Dying-Style/

Regarding the alternate picking exercises, I don't know which ones you are referring to...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 04:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yeah i might go back to basics with the POD and try rebuild a few patches

Oh and these are the excises I'm referring too. They are great for making 2 string patters you can drop in anywhere and you can move them around the scale shapes nice and easy

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 1 2014, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Ahh yeah! Those are part of my Intensive Technique Course. You can check the whole course for more alternate picking exercises as well as other techniques exercises that I consider very useful.

Check it out HERE.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 05:06 PM
ooooo intensive, makes it almost sound like i know what I'm doing

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 1 2014, 05:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 1 2014, 01:06 PM) *
ooooo intensive, makes it almost sound like i know what I'm doing

hehehe yeah! It becomes intensive if you practice 2/3 hours every day. tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 2 2014, 02:47 AM
Its turning out that way lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2014, 01:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 1 2014, 10:47 PM) *
Its turning out that way lol

hehehe great. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 8 2014, 01:14 PM
Hey Gab,

Here is my take on Wk 6. I think its slowly beginning to sound more musical but still alot of progress to be made. Sometimes I think I'm going a tad slow but then I just look at what I was doing just 6 weeks ago.

Tried to work with the melody a bit like you recommended. Its better but I still need to work on ways to diverse a bit more in that. I tried some really weird timing near the end as a bit of an experiment. It didn't work lol. Bends and vibrato feel and sound a bit better. I tried playing a bit more uptempo than I normally do. made me fumble a few more notes but all in all not so bad. Also had less time to think of new ideas which stumped me in a few spots.

I should probably maybe look at doing more call and response kind of thing to help everything breath a bit more and also give me time to think of more interesting melodies. I think the trick is working out how to write a melody that calls for that kinda of thing.

Also written myself a little practice thing to keep myself practicing stuff from previous weeks, What do you think of it

1. Ear Training and Note memory - 10min
2. Caged - Pentatonic - 5 Min
Diatonic - 10 Min
Arpeggio Major - 10 Min
Arpeggio Major - 10 Min
3. 3 Notes per string - 15 Min
4. Learning/Writing new licks - 30 Min
End of Practice Jam to backing track to put lesson to use

i thought putting alot of time towards learning new licks would be valuable since this will help with technique and melody. I also think one of my problems is because I don't have many lead licks committed to knowledge it does make it hard to come up with stuff on the fly. I also commuted alot of extra time into arpeggios (since they are coming up next for me) since its a very new thing for me and it is something that will help both my lead and rhythm playing.

What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 8 2014, 03:41 PM
Also I adjusted to tone a bit so things arnt as noisy. Harmonics are a bit harder to pull out but when I get them they do sound better. maybe a little more presence on the amp to find the best middle ground

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2014, 03:42 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great job with all this stuff! I can also notice that your improvisations are getting more and more musical, but off course there is still a lot of room to improve. You are improving a lot as a guitarist, improviser and composer, so I don't see why you should feel bad about your slow progress.. let me say that your progress is average/fast. You are a hard worker.

Your routine looks excellent, and let me say that dedicating more time to learning licks and creating your own licks and phrases is the best you can do. You can use GMC lessons for this. You can choose musical lessons that use major or minor scales, learn the licks, and practice over the backing track, creating variations and your own stuff. This is very important, and need to be a priority. Remember that the main goal of the course is to make music all the time, so please dedicate more time to making music than playing exercises, scales and arpeggios up and down. This exercises will help you to understand the fret-board, open your possibilities and train your ear, but working on your phrasing will help you to find your own voice on guitar, and that's our goal!

About your recording, you are a great analyzer of your own playing. I agree with everything you said. Your phrasing is getting more melodic, but it needs more silences and the use of call and response. Sometimes your phrases sound more like a guitar arrangement than a melodic solo, this is not a bad thing but I'm sure that it's not what you are looking for... Check this song for inspiration:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 8 2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah thats y I left learning licks and improvising until last because chances are I'll just keep playing after that. At the moment I'm finding I put the backing track on then kinda jam with the stuff thats in the lesson and practice it a bit. Really should set some time at the beginning to go over the past lesson stuff and drill some stuff. I'm a fan of repetition to make things feel smooth and natural.

Oh and your custom guitar looks great. I'm building mine the end of this month. I have to make a video so everyone can see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2014, 09:55 PM
Instructor
yes, I always recommend to dedicate time to use the backing track of the lessons and play along with the suggested scales, it's as important as learning the lesson. I think that you can even just learn some licks from the lesson but I consider essential to improvise over the backing and create your own stuff.

New custom guitar?? Awesome!! What shape? What wood? What electronics? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 9 2014, 02:23 AM
Its swamp ash with a quilted maple top. H/S/S pickup setup with custom wound pickups, ebony fingerboard with black pearl inlays and my custom logo on the headstock and its going to have a 25in PRS scale length and floyd rose. Oh and its a bolt on neck but the joint with be made all access by shaving down the back. Its going to be pretty epic

This post has been edited by Mith: Oct 9 2014, 02:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 9 2014, 09:04 PM
Instructor
Wou! That sounds killer! It would be cool if you share some pictures of the process. It's very interesting to see how a guitar takes shape from wood to the final thing. I also think that it's a great idea to add your custom logo on it, it will make it very unique and very personal. I'm sure that it will bring lots of inspiration!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 10 2014, 05:52 PM
With some of these arpeggio's. I notice some of them are kind of meant to be done in a way that makes the pinky have to bar strings (Middle of A shape for example) or very fine movement (like the bottom of D shape). Is using my ring finger to bar these going to affect my ability to play them alot faster down the track. Should I focus on make sure the fingering is proper since it will be more beneficial down the line.

Oh I've taken to doing all the drills at once since it helps be visualize where the patterns relate to each other. so I play the Pentatonic, Then the Diatonic, then the Arpeggio then the 3 NPS. During the next few days I'll practice going down on one then up on another.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 11 2014, 05:49 AM
Also the book you mentioned in your last vid, Creative guitar. Who was it written by. I missed the name

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 11 2014, 04:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 10 2014, 01:52 PM) *
With some of these arpeggio's. I notice some of them are kind of meant to be done in a way that makes the pinky have to bar strings (Middle of A shape for example) or very fine movement (like the bottom of D shape). Is using my ring finger to bar these going to affect my ability to play them alot faster down the track. Should I focus on make sure the fingering is proper since it will be more beneficial down the line.

Oh I've taken to doing all the drills at once since it helps be visualize where the patterns relate to each other. so I play the Pentatonic, Then the Diatonic, then the Arpeggio then the 3 NPS. During the next few days I'll practice going down on one then up on another.

yes , the use of fingers as a bar is a good trick for arpeggios. It has the advantage of being easier to play fast, but at the same time it becomes a bit tricky to to each note totally clean or using a different order (instead of descending or ascending). So I think that practicing both options could be the best decision on this, and being able to adapt to each situation...

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 11 2014, 01:49 AM) *
Also the book you mentioned in your last vid, Creative guitar. Who was it written by. I missed the name

The great Guthrie Govan.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 12 2014, 10:12 AM
Ok I feel like I have the shapes under my fingers. I take it the next step is to follow the chord changes with one pattern and the more advanced step after that would be to follow the chord changes while changing patterns?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 12 2014, 08:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 12 2014, 06:12 AM) *
Ok I feel like I have the shapes under my fingers. I take it the next step is to follow the chord changes with one pattern and the more advanced step after that would be to follow the chord changes while changing patterns?

Exactly. That's a great exercise that will give you skills to be able to improvise on every style and over every backing track. The course will be covering it, so you can start experimenting or wait for the tasks that I will be giving in the next weeks.

You could also check out GMC lessons archive to learn different musical applications of arpeggios:

Click HERE, to find all the lessons based on Arpeggios.

These are some of my favourites:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Combin...ios-And-Scales/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Creati...ggios-Phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Melodic-Shred-Arpeggios/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 14 2014, 03:35 PM
Getting there switch between my fav patterns seems reasonably smooth at the moment. Biggest problem is remember where the pattern has moved to with the chord change.

I think that can kinda be fixed with thinking of the chord change notes and then finding the note on the fretboard then using an arpeggio. I guess this is where all my practice into memorizing note names while come in handy.

And another thing dawned on me just then I don't have to use the root to locate the arpeggio. I just have to find a note thats in that chord then workout the best shape. Tho that seems kinda tricky to do on the fly, thats way too much theory to have go through your head while improvising. Tho good thing to remember when writing.

On a positive the arpeggios have sure made things a bit more musical and its a great reference to which notes I should target when soloing.

Also, Pattern one

and pattern two

These 2 are pretty much interchangeable really arn't they? they both have the root on the same string and all the notes are the same just one goes backwards and the other goes forward (For me the first one sounds cleaner since baring isn't the best)

Also that book is turning out to be a interesting read

This post has been edited by Mith: Oct 14 2014, 04:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:08 AM