6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Djent
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2011, 08:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Sep 9 2011, 07:06 AM) *
I am an hour away from Los Angeles XD. I make it a point to see most of the bands that come through here. I remember when Anthony Green was singing for Saosin. Believe it or not, Beau Burchell(singer and rhythm guitarist) lives down the street from my dad!

biggrin.gif I also like Saosin smile.gif how cool is that? Do you know the dude, Beau I mean?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 9 2011, 08:11 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 9 2011, 06:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
No. I would feel like I am bothering him. I am sure he just wants a normal life despite his career. We have waved at each other in passing, but that is all.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2011, 09:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Sep 9 2011, 05:34 PM) *
No. I would feel like I am bothering him. I am sure he just wants a normal life despite his career. We have waved at each other in passing, but that is all.

Well, I thought that since you are neighbors, you would somehow bump into each other and talk from time to time smile.gif but, indeed, I don't like nagging people just because they are famous smile.gif so I understand your point wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2011, 09:28 PM
Instructor
This band is from Argentina.. they formed in 1994 and this album was realised in 1998... don't you think that they have some Djent sounds? or maybe I'm confused... ?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2011, 11:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2011, 08:28 PM) *
This band is from Argentina.. they formed in 1994 and this album was realised in 1998... don't you think that they have some Djent sounds? or maybe I'm confused... ?

Oh but they do! Actually they are directly influenced by Devin Townsend out of what I can hear biggrin.gif nice work none the less!!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 11 2011, 05:21 AM
GMC:er
I love Djent instrumentals, but i can't take most of the vocals :C
Surprise me Cosmim : v

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2011, 07:26 AM
Instructor
smile.gif how about this dude? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2011, 09:09 AM
Instructor
This is definitely djent sounding.

Djenty polyrhythmic riffing + layering with various synths + scream/growl/emo metal vocals = djent? What do you guys think about this equation? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2011, 11:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 11 2011, 08:09 AM) *
This is definitely djent sounding.

Djenty polyrhythmic riffing + layering with various synths + scream/growl/emo metal vocals = djent? What do you guys think about this equation? smile.gif

Well it's close enough, but there's more to it smile.gif I see it as much more than a mix of elements...it's a certain state of mind, or maybe I like it too much? Who knows tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2011, 12:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 11 2011, 12:25 PM) *
Well it's close enough, but there's more to it smile.gif I see it as much more than a mix of elements...it's a certain state of mind, or maybe I like it too much? Who knows tongue.gif

You do like it too much, and because you do, it's your duty to explain us tongue.gif biggrin.gif JK, what would be that state of mind, it would be cool to explore different opinions on this one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 11 2011, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 11 2011, 07:26 AM) *

Cloudkicker is such i badass name, and yep that's what i love about Djent! Ty for sharing!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 11 2011, 09:43 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 12 2011, 01:10 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator

Not to be negative, but this is coming from the person who popularized the term Djent. I always thought it was weird how people think Djent is a genre, and that the Djent defining factor of big chords is almost non existent in most bands labeled 'Djent'.

I mean, I dont understand how people can hear the sound 'djent' from a guitar, but thats just me. I think at best Djent is only describing a sound, not a genre.

And this is what Misha is talking about - those big fat chords smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2011, 05:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 11 2011, 03:26 AM) *

I really like this album! I use to hear it!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2011, 06:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 12 2011, 12:10 AM) *

Not to be negative, but this is coming from the person who popularized the term Djent. I always thought it was weird how people think Djent is a genre, and that the Djent defining factor of big chords is almost non existent in most bands labeled 'Djent'.

I mean, I dont understand how people can hear the sound 'djent' from a guitar, but thats just me. I think at best Djent is only describing a sound, not a genre.

And this is what Misha is talking about - those big fat chords smile.gif

Ahahahaha biggrin.gif DJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT! biggrin.gif Guys, I don't think we should hussule about the name so much wink.gif just enjoy the music mates!

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 11 2011, 11:37 AM) *
You do like it too much, and because you do, it's your duty to explain us tongue.gif biggrin.gif JK, what would be that state of mind, it would be cool to explore different opinions on this one smile.gif

Well, I guess you are right Ivan smile.gif well, for me, this type of music allows passage through a lot of feelings with the aid of a fresh sound - for instance, as it's the easiest way to explain, I wrote a 'djenty' song with Aria in which I can picture the following story:

A modern man lets himself tangled into everyday life and his selfish ways and forgets to enjoy and cherish the things who matter most: family, nature, heritage and living the moment. He gets killed in an accident and at that point his life comes revolving back in a flash and he sees everything he's done and the wrong ways he'd chosen while being unconsciously racing towards the inevitable fate.

This is just a resume of the story in the way we see it, but the sound elements make it fresh and dynamic - aggressive, mellow, dreamy, tense, sad etc. - and the way in which they are connected, allows us to illustrate these feelings and images, so this is why I see it complex. smile.gif hopefully, I was explicit enough, so you may see my point biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 12 2011, 07:42 PM
Instructor
Wwwwoooowww, that is some nice thinking biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2011, 09:29 AM
Instructor
Ok, let's move on to some info about djenty tones smile.gif Here's what I found regarding the way you can obtain such a tone - by using an AXEFX unit in the first video and a Line 6 POD Farm unit in the second:

The POD Farm from Line 6 is a very nice little tool which a friend of mine uses, and I am pretty curious to test these settings myself when I get to put my hands on the POD.

Info on general djenty tones characteristics coming soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Sep 13 2011, 10:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
I can't resist commenting on this one smile.gif
Cloudkicker are probably my favourite example of the genre, closely followed by chimp spanner. Some of my favourite features are the fusion influenced solos alongside odd polymeters, for instance when a drummer is playing a pattern of 7s on the bass drum and still holding 4s with the hands. Every 6 bars everything seems to round up as the two patterns sync. This lends pieces a unique groove, the guitars often follow the bass drum. Displacement is also a useful concept, when a bar will end maybe a 16th note early so the next can start prematurely giving an off kilter quality to the groove. Then there's modulation where you can appear to change tempo by altering how you group subdivisions.
These techniques (and a few more) allow you to fool your audience into believing they are listening to a certain groove and get comfortable with it before you pull the rug out from underneath them. I love music that does this, that just makes you go what is going on here!

Gavin Harrison from porcupine tree has written an epic book on the subject.
Seriously, Djent is guitarists wonderland. So many new techniques and ways to express yourself. I am not surprised it is taking off so quickly.
My old band toured with Cilice, the then singer is now in textures. I was suitably humbled by the experience and have been trying to learn about these tricks ever since.

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2011, 07:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 13 2011, 09:54 PM) *
I can't resist commenting on this one smile.gif
Cloudkicker are probably my favourite example of the genre, closely followed by chimp spanner. Some of my favourite features are the fusion influenced solos alongside odd polymeters, for instance when a drummer is playing a pattern of 7s on the bass drum and still holding 4s with the hands. Every 6 bars everything seems to round up as the two patterns sync. This lends pieces a unique groove, the guitars often follow the bass drum. Displacement is also a useful concept, when a bar will end maybe a 16th note early so the next can start prematurely giving an off kilter quality to the groove. Then there's modulation where you can appear to change tempo by altering how you group subdivisions.
These techniques (and a few more) allow you to fool your audience into believing they are listening to a certain groove and get comfortable with it before you pull the rug out from underneath them. I love music that does this, that just makes you go what is going on here!

Gavin Harrison from porcupine tree has written an epic book on the subject.
Seriously, Djent is guitarists wonderland. So many new techniques and ways to express yourself. I am not surprised it is taking off so quickly.
My old band toured with Cilice, the then singer is now in textures. I was suitably humbled by the experience and have been trying to learn about these tricks ever since.

Textures is among my favorite bands! And your approach and vision on the genre is very good! Cogratz again on the track you sent me!

Here's another favorite - Tesseract

These dudes are more atmospheric and smooth than the stuff posted until now:

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Sep 16 2011, 01:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 16 2011, 07:54 AM) *
Cogratz again on the track you sent me!

You're too kind Cosmin

Have another biggrin.gif http://soundcloud.com/testtubemammoth/solient-bean

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 16 2011, 03:59 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, let's analyze one song while we're on the topic! smile.gif

Frankie asked me to assist him in analyzing the Chimp Spanners (Paul Ortiz) song Bad Code. It's a young fellow musician from UK that does Djent as a solo project, this is one of the instrumentals:

We exchanged some info about it back and fourth, and here's some of the useful hints about the instrumental that can potentially be useful for members wondering about Djent elements:

Ortiz created a djent-style/math metal style progressive composition here that relies on layering for creating fuller composition, and dissonance to create tension. It's fairly complicated piece with lots of additional elements added, but I can give you some guidelines on how to approach this instrumental. In general it's simple.

He is using C# as an anchor point for this song. C# is the 5th note of the F# harmonic minor scale. C# creates a phrygian-dominant mode, and I believe the song is based on this mode, as on the harmonies from F# harmonic minor.

The solo itself relies heavily on C# phrygian dominant, here's the pattern (this is F# harmonic minor, but just keep the C# in focus and you'll get C# phrygian dominant)

If you play the song and run through this mode, you will hear the proper in-key match. He doesn't change keys, but uses fixed F# harmonic minor, only changing voicings within the scale.

However, during the song, riffing, clean harmonies, fills and the solo, he relies here and there on chromatic passages, and dissonant intervals in order to create tension. I believe this was very detailed improvisational composition, not sure if he knew what he was doing, but just picked notes that sounded more "strange" and "dissonant". In that sense, he did a very good job of it, it does has that atmosphere, and the voicings are fit together very nicely.

For the soloing there are also lots of jumps from one octave to another, big interval jumps, which create contrast, which is another important thing to consider.

For this song, he used 8-string guitar with standard tuning, and two bass strings added. So the tuning is:

E
B
G
D
A
E
B } two thickes strings
Gb }

What you can do is try to play it on a 7 string with standard tuning.

For this song I played a 6-string guitar with drop C# tuning, like this:

D#
A#
F#
C#
G#
C#

This tuning is suitable for both riffing and soloing for this song, as you can nail the C# powerchord on the lowest bass strings, and C# has the most focus in the song, so it's good to have it for djenty riffing.

Let's try to see what other opinions we can spark on this song. What do you guys think? Or we can perhaps analyze some other compositions. Would like to hear Cosmins opionion on this one too! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:09 PM