Beginner Stuff
TreyDeschamp
Jun 16 2008, 03:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
What does anyone recommend for beginners. I'm read to stop messin around and really work hard on my guitar playing. Could anyone recommend some beginner things for me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jun 16 2008, 03:34 PM
GMC:er
Get a decent technique, learn alternate picking, legato, sweeping, tapping. It doesn't need to be shred speed but it will help you play most stuff biggrin.gif I would start of with alternate picking because it's super important and tapping because it isn't really difficult and it looks pretty good biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 16 2008, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (Mark. @ Jun 16 2008, 09:34 AM) *
Get a decent technique, learn alternate picking, legato, sweeping, tapping. It doesn't need to be shred speed but it will help you play most stuff biggrin.gif I would start of with alternate picking because it's super important and tapping because it isn't really difficult and it looks pretty good biggrin.gif

Well I can already tap(its super easy) but I didnt think about alternate picking laugh.gif Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jun 16 2008, 03:37 PM
and check out the beginner lessons, if u already know it then try to learn some techniques. u can use the search bar or gmc lesson plans

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 16 2008, 03:41 PM
Alternate picking and bending/vibrato. Also practice phrasing and stuff like that, even though I don't really know how to practice that otherwise than just playing. Save sweeping for later imo, if you're not super into shred.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 16 2008, 03:42 PM
ok cool yeah question

What does lagoto, apeggio and vabrato mean?

This post has been edited by TreyDeschamp: Jun 16 2008, 03:43 PM

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jun 16 2008, 03:49 PM
legato is like hammer on and pull-offs. for example: 12 pulloff 8 hammer on 10 check out this

arpeggios are notes of a chord that you can play over that chord or sweep which is fun check out this

vibrato is how you change the pitch of the note without moving to another fret and sounds great. check out this

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2008, 07:19 PM
Instructor
Alternate picking and bending vibrato are essential for you. Concentrate on that smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 16 2008, 07:24 PM
Singing Instructor
All tough I am not guitarist smile.gif,slow scales and alternative picking,I am know practicing that my self. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 16 2008, 07:26 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Just a side note: legato comes from classical music and means "tied together", this can include techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, tapping, sliding, using the whammy bar and even sweeping and economy picking (depending on the amount of attack used by the player when picking). So this will mean that the music flows nicely. Staccatto would be the opposite and is commonly played with alternate picking and palm muting when needed.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 16 2008, 07:33 PM
Lets go fishing!
For me the best route was to start playing "harder" stuff from the start, only very very slow, with a metronome. This is one of Kris's ideas which has served me very well in the long run smile.gif

Its totally fine to do beginner lessons too, and not everyone wants to be overly technical with there playing. Its a good idea to ask yourself what kind of guitar player do you want to be smile.gif Do you want to play basic blues licks , some classic rock perhaps? Or do you want to learn some of the shred skills, Alternate picking, Sweep picking, String skipping, 8 finger tapping etc laugh.gif

Which ever route you want to go down, that is great! Its all about what kind of music your into, what YOU enjoy the most. Personally I think its best if you can learn all styles that way you can be versitle in the long run !! But of course, not all at once wink.gif

So sit down and think about what you would like to work hard on. From experience I would say its best to work on technique at a time, alternate picking is a great place to start as its a solid foundation to work on. Perhaps choose a Lesson from the video libary that you might enjoy. Break it down in sections, practice them with your metronome. Build up your skill slowly but surley. Its all about laying a solid foundation, giveing you CONTROL and TONE (yes I know im always rattleing on about control and tone) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good luck!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jun 16 2008, 07:47 PM
Listen to the mighty Matt! The whole starting off slow thing and playing with tone and control is really important when you're learning your techniques biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 16 2008, 08:12 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great advices Matt !! I would recommend same things..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Jun 18 2008, 06:07 PM
Get atleast a shadow of understanding when it comes to theory. memorize the pattern of the pentatonic and major scale. learn how chords are constructed, then what chord progressions are.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
besip
Jun 18 2008, 06:28 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 16 2008, 02:33 PM) *
. Its a good idea to ask yourself what kind of guitar player do you want to be smile.gif Do you want to play basic blues licks , some classic rock perhaps?

Good luck!!

tongue.gif good advise!!!!!+1
actualy my problem is i'm like to play all styles..when i'm coming here 1 time i'm was just ready for Heavy trash metal riffing...but now i'm start liket blues also nice slow melody like Nocturnal vision lesson and lot of vibrato Marcus L.stuff

so i'm need to lear erveything laugh.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:06 AM