14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Yoncopin's Bootcamp, Earn it Soldier!!!!!!
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2016, 08:39 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them. Our highest ranking Soldier is currently at LEVEL 30.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
bit.ly/yoncopinsbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 21 2016, 08:49 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 21 2016, 09:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome, I've been looking forward to this all day! Here's Lesson 1:

and Lesson 2!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2016, 11:58 PM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! These are you FIRST MISSIONS and you KILLED THEM!!!!! Let's debrief...

Some really nice playing here.

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Maintained splendid palm mute / right hand control in every vid.
2.)Maintained tight and precise picking in every vid
3.)Maintained control of each strike and it's timing

In short, you made short work of these missions and showed that you are more than ready for what awaits you!!!! Beware, these get harder as you go. But based on your work here I think you have nothing to fear!

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 21 2016, 04:12 PM) *
Awesome, I've been looking forward to this all day! Here's Lesson 1:

and Lesson 2!

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 22 2016, 01:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Oh man, the leveling up is going to be addictive. I started last night on lesson 3 and it's more difficult, but doable at near 120bpm. I know you said that speed doesn't matter, but is that just for these early lessons? I assume at some point speed has to matter if I want to ever shred, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2016, 02:28 AM
Leveling up can certainly be a great motivator smile.gif The ranking CHAMP is GMCer FZALFA. Whoever is the top kick, gets a special ornamentation for their badge just like HIGHLANDER, "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE"! Good news is you are on pace to catch him!!!

As far as SPEED goes, always remember.

SPEED IS A BYPRODUCT OF PRECISION.

The more precision you attain, the more you will notice that your speed just sorta happens. It is, after all, a byproduct, not a primary result. Precision is the result of ardent practice, and these lessons are built entirely to help you work on your precision. So don't worry about playing fast, in any lesson, worry about playing clean. No extra string noise, every note on the beat and in time, every note as written in the MISSION.

After that, you will be shocked at how quickly speed just starts to happen. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 22 2016, 08:18 AM) *
Oh man, the leveling up is going to be addictive. I started last night on lesson 3 and it's more difficult, but doable at near 120bpm. I know you said that speed doesn't matter, but is that just for these early lessons? I assume at some point speed has to matter if I want to ever shred, right?

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 23 2016, 09:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 3 @130bpm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 24 2016, 01:27 AM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! yet again, you KILLED IT!!!!! Let's debrief...

Very nicely done soldier. This is exactly what I was looking for Stick a fork in it, it's done! I did notice you fell off the horse right near the end of the vid, but after playing with precision on this lick for nearly a solid minute, I think it can be overlooked.

You showed very solid technique here despite not using much gain. Sometimes folks will go a bit heavy on gain to hide bits and smooth out the rough patches. An old salt like me can always hear the wonky bit though smile.gif Your timing is very good throughout. I think you are more than ready for what's next. Very soon, I'm going to start asking for "MULTIPICKING" which is picking each note in a given drill twice or more, instead of once. But we will get there in a bit. For now.....

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Solid Hand Synch
2.)Tight right hand control
3.)good planted palm mute

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 23 2016, 04:10 PM) *
Lesson 3 @130bpm

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 24 2016, 04:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome! I'm already on the next one smile.gif I did fall off at the end, my mind wandered and I lost focus. I find that's really easy to do when playing these repeating exercises, especially when nerves/stiffness crop up in recording. I kinda figured the same thing you did, I demonstrated I was capable of playing the lick "properly" for enough time to submit it. Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback smile.gif In Lesson 4 should I still be palm muting?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 24 2016, 07:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
and here's Lesson 4!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2016, 11:28 PM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! You are ripping it up!! Keep this up and you'll be TOP KICK in no time! Let's debrief!....

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control
2.)Good Palm Mute
3.)Aggressive style and approach

This is not an easy lick and you kept solid pace the entire way up and down the neck. Your alternate picking is quite good and your traverse (moving between strings) is quite good as well. That's part of what makes this lick tough. Soldier, you nailed it!!!

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 24 2016, 02:47 PM) *
and here's Lesson 4!

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 26 2016, 05:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd! Here's lesson 5 @170bpm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2016, 01:54 AM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! You are knocking em down!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise picking control
2.)Tight palm mute
3.)Precise use of PINKY POWER!!!

I'm glad to see you using your PINKY here soldier. It's easy to forget that the smallest finger often needs the most work!!! Your timing is good, your technique is solid, you keep it going all the way up and down the neck. You do slip off just a bit at the very end, but prior to that it's a great run. In other words...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 26 2016, 12:58 PM) *
Thanks Todd! Here's lesson 5 @170bpm

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 2 2016, 09:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here's Lesson 6 @ 200bpm. I got a bit behind schedule, had major computer issues for a bit there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2016, 12:15 AM
Welcome back to the fight!! CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! Your hard work is continuing to pay off!!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Tight hand synch
2.)Smooth looping of the lick
3.)Precise pick control

Now this is what I'm talking about!! You nailed the mission and then nailed it on DOUBLE PICKING!! Well played and well fought soldier!!! You are ready for the next mission!!!

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

P.S. Soldier that's a very nice AXE you have there! Is than an RG470?

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 2 2016, 04:17 PM) *
Here's Lesson 6 @ 200bpm. I got a bit behind schedule, had major computer issues for a bit there.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 3 2016, 12:19 AM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 3 2016, 01:28 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks! It's a 2000 Ibanez RG570 w/ Dimarzio Air Norton and Steve's Special pickups.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2016, 06:38 AM
NICE!!! An RG570 eh? Very spiff indeed. Those are some of my fave guitars ever built. Have you had it long? The original wizard neck is a think of beauty imho smile.gif My fave guitar is currently an RG560 which is along the same lines and MIJ, just has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge. Mine is still bone stock as I like the alnico humbucker. smile.gif

Its the red one behind the RG7620 smile.gif
Attached Image
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 2 2016, 08:28 PM) *
Thanks! It's a 2000 Ibanez RG570 w/ Dimarzio Air Norton and Steve's Special pickups.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 3 2016, 06:39 AM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 3 2016, 12:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes you have quite an awesome collection! I've had it about six months. I got it in its current form off eBay for about $400, I wanted a slightly newer HSH to complement my 1989 RG760. The RG570 is MIJ as well. Sometimes I'm really into the Ibanezes and sometimes I'm really into the Fenders. It's great to be fortunate enough to have a variety smile.gif. I used this GMC buyers guide to help pick it out.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Jul 3 2016, 12:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 4 2016, 09:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Alright, here's Lesson 7 smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2016, 11:48 PM
That Ibby reference is WONDERFUL. It really breaks it down in practical terms. Everything in it is spot on IMHO smile.gif You have some seriously nice Ibby's my man!!! I can appreciate that wink.gif I have two nice ibby's (RG560 and RG7620 both mij) but those are probably the only ones I"ll ever have as they are just to darn pricey anymore. Seems like everyone is trying to buy the old Ibbys!! Not long ago you could get an RG560 for $300 or so (that's what I paid) now it's sometimes double that. Uggh!!! I've resorted to buying newer ibby's like the XPT700 and XPT750. I"m keeping the XPt750, it feels a pinch faster and the neck is a pinch thinner and it's got different pickups (D activator X). I also just bought another RGT42FM. I sold the last one and then started to miss it. smile.gif So I figured I"d get another. Loved that guitar. Indonesian, but still played very well.

Anyhoo, enough of my Ibby fetish, on to the DEBRIEF!!!!!

CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! You are seriuously KILLING IT!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)PINKY POWER!!! Using the pinky to great effect and with precision!
2.)Tight Hand Synch! Righ/Left Synch is spot on and solid tracking with the metronome.
3.)Solid Palm Mute!! No string noise!!!

You did a great job on this. It's a bit of a confusing lick when you repeat it. Some folks get twisted up in it. You seemed to sail straight through!! Nice smile.gif I'm sure you had a few passes that were rough, everyone does, but by the time you hit record, BINGO!!!

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 4 2016, 04:52 PM) *
Alright, here's Lesson 7 smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 4 2016, 11:49 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 8 2016, 01:38 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank you for the nice comments on my guitars and playing smile.gif Makes me feel like I'm doing something right smile.gif
I tried to push the speed on this one, here's Lesson 8 @ 210bpm

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:15 AM