3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Lets's settle this guys, with a RoCK OFF! (only kidding, Kris and Pavel would own us)
Favorite guitarist
Favorite guitarist? (best one basicaly)
Jimmi Hendrix [ 8 ] ** [18.18%]
Eric clapton [ 2 ] ** [4.55%]
Jimmy Page [ 2 ] ** [4.55%]
Slash [ 6 ] ** [13.64%]
Steve Vai [ 7 ] ** [15.91%]
Marty Friedman [ 1 ] ** [2.27%]
Stevie Ray Vaughn [ 3 ] ** [6.82%]
BB King [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Buckethead [ 2 ] ** [4.55%]
Other=____________ [ 13 ] ** [29.55%]
Total Votes: 44
Guests cannot vote 
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 15 2007, 03:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
Personally, i dont think hendrix was over-rated. Anyone can learn technique and theory, but being able to compose songs like that is what made hendrix a great.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 15 2007, 10:49 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Aryo @ Feb 15 2007, 12:50 AM) *
Im suprised So many people disagree that Hendrix Is overrated.
I thought it was common knowledge.

You thought? You nailed it there, you _assume_ and you _guess_ and that's why things come out all wrong.

I cant persuade you, im just stating the facts.

Incorrect facts, but you don't seem to care.

NO way did he Invent anything new that BB king or other great blues hadnt already done!

So you don't think Jimi Hendrix came with something new and different that had a great impact but just same ol same ol? Ignorant! So BB King did it before? What did he do exactly? And is he also overrated since others played blues before him?

he was an innovater, a copier and evolver but not an innovater.

Now that doesn't make sence at all... as usual.

(and Clapton DID invent proper distortion. Link Wray had simple fuzz from unwoven cabels but not an overdriven amp! get your facts straight MickeM)

Well isn't that something, Aryo got a lexicon. So you can look up distortion and perhaps return here with the definition. When you were proven wrong all of a sudden it has to be "proper distortion", laughable.
So tell me, in what way did Clapton invent distortion and define "proper distortion"!
And in what way does that make the facts I present incorrect? You said "distortion", nothing else such as "proper distortion" or averdriven amp, not even overdriven tube amp. Perhaps you should READ what facts you have stated before you jump the gun and claim I have to get MY facts straight. I can only comment on what you write, not what you were supposed to write.

distortion (NOT invented by him! But by clapton a couple of years before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!in the "beano" album)

Again, that was in the med 60's. So Burlison's and Burnett's distortion (which came in the late 50's) doesn't count even though it was distortion? Aaaahh.. it had to be "proper"... So you count their sound as clean then?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 15 2007, 12:23 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Aryo @ Feb 13 2007, 09:33 PM) *
I knew That I would have to say this soon..................

But Hendrix is
the Single most over rated musician in the history of the world

That dosent mean hes not great, i love hes Guitar work.

But hes just plain over rated, to many reasons to list.

Nah this isn't right.

Hendrix is perhaps overrated amongst people who know nothing about guitar but then they know nothing about guitar so their opinions are void.

He's not the fastest or the most technically skilled but he's probably the most innovative rhythm guitarist ever which is more than I can say for anyone else on that list .

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Feb 15 2007, 12:24 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Bobieo
Feb 15 2007, 04:45 PM
I've just started learning HEY JOE from Hendrix.
Try playing some of his songs and you might change your mine to Jimi.

+Quote Post
Aryo
Feb 15 2007, 05:08 PM
Ahhh yes.....Burlison's and Burnett's distortion, i know MikeM would have raised the issue of them
Being the first to use distortion and NOt Clapton. But it depends what you mean by distortion, what type
of distortion?

If you mean the distortion that we all know and love today, that was first utilised by Clapton.
But There is a point to make that even in the Mid 50's there were guitarists using 'distortion',
But That tone was achieved in a different way, usually by doctoring" amplifiers and speakers, intentionally misusing them by removing some of their vacuum tubes or punching holes in their speaker cones.
this fuzzy overdrive led the way for the breakthrough of marshall amps 'rock' distortion by Clapton.
Anything left to moan about now Mike? tongue.gif

As for this Hendrix Debate, I know how to play most of his material (Im kind of fan) and most of his most famous songs arent really anything new that guitarists hadnt been using since the begining of time i.e. Pentonic Minor, simple Major chords. This does not makem special, and he does not stand out for me.

Blues guitar had been invented many years before. And he's live tricks, like setting his guitar on fire or playing with his teeth does not make him a better musician (although its REALLY cool wink.gif )
Therefore he does not deserve such titles as:

Greatest Guitarist Ever

Inventor of Rock guitar (Wtf? he didnt even play rock!)

Pioneer of Distortion and guitar effects

(thus, he is over rated)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 15 2007, 05:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Aryo @ Feb 15 2007, 05:08 PM) *
Ahhh yes.....Burlison's and Burnett's distortion, i know MikeM would have raised the issue of them
Being the first to use distortion and NOt Clapton.

Thank you!

QUOTE (Aryo @ Feb 15 2007, 05:08 PM) *
If you mean the distortion that we all know and love today, that was first utilised by Clapton.

Utilised that's something completely different from what you said before (Quote "distortion (NOT invented by him! But by clapton")
I don't know for a fact if he was the first to use it or not, now talking about distortion from an overdriven tube amp. If you have an article about if please post, if not I will just take your word for it.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Aryo
Feb 15 2007, 06:15 PM
Glad we have that setteled biggrin.gif

The article was in a recent issue of Ultimate Guitar,
the one with the racounteres on the cover. I dont usually get it but it had the whole
of the lemon song by led zeppelin tabbed out!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 15 2007, 07:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
other! i dont really know who most of those are, accept Paul Gilbert who i think is ace. I like the Edge from U2, brian may, oh and Kris !!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Aryo
Feb 15 2007, 10:04 PM
the edge? Im ignorant to his work. I thought U2 was more of a pop band.

Could you give me some U2 songs to download that show the edges work?

Thnx tongue.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:52 PM