2 Pages V  < 1 2  
New Acdc Collaboration!, UPLOAD & COMMENTS TOPIC
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 1 2010, 07:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 30 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Thanks Ivan, cool comments and the grades put it in context! There are some tips in there I'm going to use for sure!

Especially modal soling smile.gif I could implement some diatonic notes in the pentatonic boxes.

Thank you for participating my friend, and I'm glad if some tips helped. yeah, you seem well aware of the scales and some arpeggio passages too. So, it may seem like a good idea to rehearse modes over one chords. I was thinking about those exercises when you play one chord in the backing (for example C major), and play all three major modes over it (C major, C lydian, C mixolydian). Then you play C minor and play C dorian, C Phrygian and C Aeolian. This is just to familiar your ear with certain notes, and how they function against the chord. You will see that there is little difference in these modes, only one note difference between them, but they sound very different, so you can achieve very specific mood with each. By developing your ear to understand how these modes sound against a chord, you will exponentially increase your improvising skills. Just take your time with these, and make it a fun exercise smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 1 2010, 08:29 PM
Instructor
krakou:

RHYTHM: Very good rhythmical phrases in the beginning of the solo, with a nice touch on the tremolo lick. You used mostly eight notes in this solo, so I presume this is what you practice the most. The last legato lick is a nice touch, but it needs to be tight. I would recommend for you that you start doing all kinds of note durations during practice: starting from quarter notes, to sixteen triplets. Doesn't have to be on fast tempo, contrary, you need to slow it down, so you give yourself time to adapt to all these notes. Try tapping the foot along with the click as well. You will see that in some time your rhythm phrases will become more diverse. I also recommend inserting some longer notes here and there. For rhythm I give a grade of 7.6
PHRASING: You used mostly pentatonic scale here, and some familiar blues licks, with the addition of minor scale in the last part of the solo. This is good, and I suggest working more on making pairs of similar licks with different endings, called call & response phrases. You did something similar here, but practicing these would make it sound even better. I also recommend using slides and connecting different boxes together, as you seem a bit locked inside those boxes with those licks. Try practicing minor scale boxes with slides and with some non-standard fingerings, so you go away from up&down kind of phrasing while playing. Take your time with these, and you are on the right track. For phrasing I give you 8.
TECHNIQUE: Good use of bends in the solo, but I would recommend making them more precise. I also think that you need to work on your vibrato skills in parallel. As I mentioned, legato needs to be tight and precise, so doing it slow with the metronome will help. In general, your muting technique and tone control is good, and it will polish up even more through more practice. For technical ability I give you 7.5
SOUND: Very nice sound, nice smooth lead sound with plenty amounts of distortion, but sounding pleasant. The solo cuts well too. I suggest a bit less delay and reverb, so it comes out even more defined. For sound I give 9.

leadbreak:

RHYTHM: Good use of various note durations in the solo. I general, I think you made it interesting for listening in terms of rhythm, and I would suggest that you spend some time polishing up those faster bits. In the second part of the solo, and in the faster bits in the first part too, your timing was not that great. It needs to be rock steady for this type of a track. Inserting faster licks is good, but with a function and dosed. Inserting some longer notes to break these faster bits would be a nice touch too, and not difficult. For rhythm I give 8.
PHRASING: The first part of the solo has a nice structure with some call & response phrasing. but I have the overall feeling of note displacement and non-structured phrasing. What I would recommend is that you slow down a bit, play slower melodies, and try to really accent specific notes within the solo so they have proper weight (like those on endings and beginnings of phrases). For phrasing I give 7
TECHNIQUE: Good techniques displayed, I like the slide outs, and the way you pick your notes. You can use those in your advantage. As mentioned, slowing your solo down, and using these advantages in a slow solo would sound even better. Bending is good, and vibrato could sound more pronounced and wider. For the faster bits, you need to take it slow with the metronome, and it will be OK. The important thing is you are on the right track and I can fell the progress, so now it may be time to turn to your improvising abilities instead of technical ones. For technical skills I grade 8.
SOUND: The sound was OK, but I feel your guitar is not being heard properly. You added too much space FX, and it sounds distant. Next to that, I feel there is too much bass and too little mids for this kind of lead. I also hear that backing track is also modified, so you may have used compression or EQ on your master channel. This is not that great idea, as backing is already processed and mastered, and guitar needs to cut through. Try these modifications, and it will turn out great. For sound I give 6.5

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:30 AM