3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Trem Too High?
bleez
Jul 4 2014, 10:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
.... yeah..... you guys are right. Im going through on Saturday morning wink.gif
I'll let you know how it goes smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 5 2014, 12:17 PM
Instructor
Alright mate smile.gif I'm curious if the guy will cooperate and tell you how it's done wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 5 2014, 07:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 5 2014, 12:17 PM) *
Alright mate smile.gif I'm curious if the guy will cooperate and tell you how it's done wink.gif

they were cool, I just walked in asked the dude and he done it there an then. no waiting. I was able to stand and watch what was going on. smile.gif

before

after
[attachment=37843:t4.jpg]

a lot better now, I think smile.gif

Also, I managed to leave the shop without buying another guitar...... wasnt easy! they had a really cool flame top telecaster cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2014, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
Much better!!! Does it feel better as well? That should have made the action a bit lower smile.gif Also, I keep forgetting your in Europe? For some reason I keep thinking your a Southern boy from GA or Texas smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 5 2014, 02:39 PM) *
they were cool, I just walked in asked the dude and he done it there an then. no waiting. I was able to stand and watch what was going on. smile.gif

before

after
[attachment=37843:t4.jpg]

a lot better now, I think smile.gif

Also, I managed to leave the shop without buying another guitar...... wasnt easy! they had a really cool flame top telecaster cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 6 2014, 07:41 AM
Instructor
Ah, very nice Scott! Now, for me, it seems a lot more difficult to be able to tell when the trem is in the correct position on these newer models, since there aren't any landmarks. See, the Edge Pro has the knives visible and you actually have a line that shows clearly if the trem is at point 0 or it needs adjusting smile.gif

See here in the lower part - that little line? That's what I am talking about:

But these are out of fabrication since a long time ago - had one on my Ibanez K7 and another on the JEM.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 6 2014, 07:44 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 6 2014, 09:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 6 2014, 04:15 AM) *
Much better!!! Does it feel better as well? That should have made the action a bit lower smile.gif Also, I keep forgetting your in Europe? For some reason I keep thinking your a Southern boy from GA or Texas smile.gif

a southern boy huh? shucks cool.gif it must be my Les Pauls and constant stealing of Zakk Wylde riffs!
The guitar feels great, just really awesome to play...... it may not be my last ibby cool.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 6 2014, 07:41 AM) *
Ah, very nice Scott! Now, for me, it seems a lot more difficult to be able to tell when the trem is in the correct position on these newer models, since there aren't any landmarks. See, the Edge Pro has the knives visible and you actually have a line that shows clearly if the trem is at point 0 or it needs adjusting smile.gif

yeah, I need to get to know these bridges a lot more, tbh I wouldnt know if it was set perfectly or totally out! Luckily I have GMC to keep me right! I just thought the whammy bar was too close to the volume pot.
I looked at the trems on all of the ibby's in the store and all except one had the trems at the same angle mine was originally at. They must be leaving the factory like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 6 2014, 03:53 PM
That looks much better!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2014, 06:36 AM
Sadly yes. I've seen it far too often that they come from the factory in serious need of adjustment and then many guitar shops just leave them on the wall like that. sad.gif I've worked in music shops and I was the guy that took each one down and fixed up the trem so the guitar would play well and actually stay in tune.

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 6 2014, 04:23 AM) *
a southern boy huh? shucks cool.gif it must be my Les Pauls and constant stealing of Zakk Wylde riffs!
The guitar feels great, just really awesome to play...... it may not be my last ibby cool.gif

yeah, I need to get to know these bridges a lot more, tbh I wouldnt know if it was set perfectly or totally out! Luckily I have GMC to keep me right! I just thought the whammy bar was too close to the volume pot.
I looked at the trems on all of the ibby's in the store and all except one had the trems at the same angle mine was originally at. They must be leaving the factory like that.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 7 2014, 07:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 7 2014, 05:36 AM) *
Sadly yes. I've seen it far too often that they come from the factory in serious need of adjustment and then many guitar shops just leave them on the wall like that. sad.gif I've worked in music shops and I was the guy that took each one down and fixed up the trem so the guitar would play well and actually stay in tune.

Todd - you are that exact guy that is needed in our music shops as well. I had a long talk with the PRS dealer here and I always told him that the guitars need to be properly set up, so that when someone takes them off the wall, the instant sensation will be: 'Man, this sounds and plays and feels AWESOME! I want it NOW!' He shrugs and says that his employees can't be trusted with that... How can someone want to run a business like this... I always wonder... sad.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 7 2014, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 7 2014, 06:36 AM) *

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 7 2014, 07:30 AM) *
Todd - you are that exact guy that is needed in our music shops as well. I had a long talk with the PRS dealer here and I always told him that the guitars need to be properly set up, so that when someone takes them off the wall, the instant sensation will be: 'Man, this sounds and plays and feels AWESOME! I want it NOW!' He shrugs and says that his employees can't be trusted with that... How can someone want to run a business like this... I always wonder... sad.gif

That is exactly what I do at my friends Shop. As well as any other Customer set-ups, Repairs and Pick-up swapping.
Maybe I should move over there C-man??
wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 8 2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 7 2014, 02:47 PM) *
That is exactly what I do at my friends Shop. As well as any other Customer set-ups, Repairs and Pick-up swapping.
Maybe I should move over there C-man??
wink.gif

Neil.. I really do think we could use a pro like yourself. You could form teams and train them and then sell already made teams that know how to run a darn musical instruments shop! biggrin.gif Have you ever thought about that? I am certain you can do it in the UK as well and it could be a great entrepreneurship idea!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 9 2014, 03:56 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 8 2014, 08:17 AM) *
Neil.. I really do think we could use a pro like yourself. You could form teams and train them and then sell already made teams that know how to run a darn musical instruments shop! biggrin.gif Have you ever thought about that? I am certain you can do it in the UK as well and it could be a great entrepreneurship idea!

It's not such a bad idea!! Although, just in my area I've seen several Music Shops close down due to more people buying online. In fact, whilst I was in London last Friday I went down to Denmark Street and noticed that 2 of my favourite Guitar shops are no longer there.
I only work at my friends on an irregular basis in that I'll go down there when he has 4 or 5 repair jobs to do.
If I trained too many people to do what I can do then I'd be putting myself out of a job as well!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 9 2014, 07:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 9 2014, 02:56 PM) *
It's not such a bad idea!! Although, just in my area I've seen several Music Shops close down due to more people buying online. In fact, whilst I was in London last Friday I went down to Denmark Street and noticed that 2 of my favourite Guitar shops are no longer there.
I only work at my friends on an irregular basis in that I'll go down there when he has 4 or 5 repair jobs to do.
If I trained too many people to do what I can do then I'd be putting myself out of a job as well!!
biggrin.gif

Mate, I dunno smile.gif Once you become a center of influence, more and more people could come and be curious. This is how I'd think smile.gif You have something that they could never gain over night: experience and relationships built wink.gif

This is how I'd see it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 10 2014, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 9 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Mate, I dunno smile.gif Once you become a center of influence, more and more people could come and be curious. This is how I'd think smile.gif You have something that they could never gain over night: experience and relationships built wink.gif

This is how I'd see it smile.gif

The way I see it is this...
I have no problem with sharing my knowledge and experience (in any subject) with anyone.
I agree that not everyone has the benefit of experience but that can only be gained over time as you say.
If I don't share my knowledge and experience with anyone and then in years to come I die and take it all with me then who has benefited from it? Only me, and then was it worth all the time, aggravation, late nights, early mornings etc to have gained it? Not if I haven't used it for anything but personal gain! Unfortunately it is now prevalent in Society that you can only get ahead by keeping your Trade secrets to yourself and I don't agree with this. (I was only joking in my other post about putting myself out of a job!!)Ii do agree with you that it's an avenue to be explored!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2014, 07:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 10 2014, 06:54 PM) *
The way I see it is this...
I have no problem with sharing my knowledge and experience (in any subject) with anyone.
I agree that not everyone has the benefit of experience but that can only be gained over time as you say.
If I don't share my knowledge and experience with anyone and then in years to come I die and take it all with me then who has benefited from it? Only me, and then was it worth all the time, aggravation, late nights, early mornings etc to have gained it? Not if I haven't used it for anything but personal gain! Unfortunately it is now prevalent in Society that you can only get ahead by keeping your Trade secrets to yourself and I don't agree with this. (I was only joking in my other post about putting myself out of a job!!)Ii do agree with you that it's an avenue to be explored!

If all the martial arts masters, for instance, or any other sort of master would've taken their secrets to their graves, the world would've become a poor place, bleak and lacking knowledge and wisdom.

I think this is an endeavor definitely worth pondering on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 11 2014, 02:08 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 11 2014, 07:45 AM) *
If all the martial arts masters, for instance, or any other sort of master would've taken their secrets to their graves, the world would've become a poor place, bleak and lacking knowledge and wisdom.

I think this is an endeavor definitely worth pondering on smile.gif

A very good point and well made Sir!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 12 2014, 05:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 11 2014, 01:08 PM) *
A very good point and well made Sir!!
biggrin.gif

I am looking forward on hearing your thoughts on this endeavor as they will progress, good Sir! biggrin.gif I am always willing to help people courageous enough to dive into something uncertain and dangerous, as any entrepreneurship based thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 14 2014, 03:25 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 12 2014, 05:12 PM) *
I am looking forward on hearing your thoughts on this endeavor as they will progress, good Sir! biggrin.gif I am always willing to help people courageous enough to dive into something uncertain and dangerous, as any entrepreneurship based thing smile.gif

I was chatting with my friend who owns the Shop and we came to a conclusion between us that maybe, instead of actually training people, we could run a couple of Clinics and see what the response is. He's going to start asking some of his Customers and we'll see what happens!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 15 2014, 07:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 14 2014, 02:25 PM) *
I was chatting with my friend who owns the Shop and we came to a conclusion between us that maybe, instead of actually training people, we could run a couple of Clinics and see what the response is. He's going to start asking some of his Customers and we'll see what happens!
smile.gif

That sounds like a GREAT plan smile.gif Organize something interactive in which people should remain with a good idea regarding WHY it is recommended to work with a professional in this field just like in any other.

For me, everyone in this world knows how to do something and some folks get REALLY good at that something. If I want something done at the best possible, I will go to such a person. I don't like the 'I can do it myself!' kind of thinking, because:

- you can't do it as good as a pro
- you can't be a pro at everything
- you waste precious time, which could serve you or others far better, when used for what YOU are good at
- you should learn to delegate, not do everything yourself, otherwise you'll go bananas - I have a lot of examples around me in everyday life biggrin.gif

Of course, I am not militating for calling an electrician when you need to change a light bulb, but when a pipe is broken, you might want to call someone who knows how to fix it and make a good isolation in order for it not to be broken again, or too soon.

People should come to your clinic and understand what's happening in your line of work from A to Z - the details and the principles making you a pro that they need in their lives as people who care for their instruments and want them in top shape smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 17 2014, 03:55 PM
Those are all very valid points Cosmin!
Especially:- "you can't be a pro at everything"!
I may try to be, but I know different people who are more proficient in different areas! I have one guy who is superb at Polishing as well as being quick!
I have no problem delegating work out to others who are faster, more capable or better equipped.

As for the Clinics, I'm thinking of doing a series of different ones covering different procedures. One for adjusting the Neck, Fret Dressing, even just changing the Tuners. One on setting up a Floyd Rose, one on wiring and trick Switching options and maybe one on refinishing a Paint job, re-veneer + Staining and polishing.
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:15 AM