Importance Of Wood, the effect of different wood types on guitar sound
Igorrr
May 8 2007, 04:50 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone...

I started a gamble and asked a Chinese Guy to produce a custom Ibanez Universe fake looking exactly like the Ibanez Jem 7 GMC (Green Black Swirl). It's going to cost me 200.- US$ (and another 200.-$ US for shipping).

You can see his fakes on this page here:
http://www.cnart2008.com/class.asp?nid=550&aid=105

I know (owning a true Universe myself) that the guitar will not come close to the quality of the real thing and that the electronics for sure are going to be @$$#. But that is not my concern.
The guitars look beautiful and if all is fine with the body and neck the rest can be replaced.

He told me the body is going to be made from Elm wood. I googled it and only found medieval instruments being made from this wood type. In general it appears to be aplied for creating furniture and that it is a very stable and humid resistant type of wood. But never saw any electric guitar using that wood.

But I also saw expensive designer guitars having no wood at all.

So finally the real question is: If the guitar is well enough built (in tune, no strange string action etc...) Can it sound like a professional guitar by simply exchanging the electronik hardware?

Does anybody know how much wood affects the sound of a guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:02 PM