Manufactured Controversy
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 24 2010, 03:57 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Yesterday the UK media ran a story that the makers of the TV program 'X Factor' had received complaints that Autotune had been used to improve the vocals of the contestants in this 'talent' show's audition.

I had a brief talk with my wife and both of us agreed it was a manufactured controversy done for publicity. I was also a bit more cynical and made the point that why would the audience really care given that the eventual winner will be autotuned every time they release a single anyway and the millions of adoring fans will still happily buy it wink.gif rolleyes.gif .

One thing it did demonstrate clearly enough even for the BBC news anchor to comment on was that as good (or as bad) as autotune etc are they can't sufficiently correct a really awful vocal. Personally I only watch X Factor for those really really bad performance biggrin.gif . The rest are just bland, mass manufactured pap rather than pop.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 24 2010, 04:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
In my opinion the Autotune fills only one need - to prevent us musicians that can hear that a note is out of tune to puke every time we put on the radio. (it happens sometimes anyway, a good example will be the flute-solo on "California Dreaming") The most people dont hear if You're out of tune neither on record or neither live anyway, so why bother??? Its just to satisfy a small amount of people. But I would love to have a law that say's: "You are forbidden to enter a recording-studio if You cant sing a C-major scale in tune". There can the auto-tune come in handy to measure who can or cannot - and the production of records will drop by 90% or so..... laugh.gif

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 24 2010, 04:33 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Aug 24 2010, 03:25 PM) *
... But I would love to have a law that say's: "You are forbidden to enter a recording-studio if You cant sing a C-major scale in tune". There can the auto-tune come in handy to measure who can or cannot ...

//Staffay

laugh.gif - got my vote Staffay biggrin.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 24 2010, 04:39 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Like Gene Simmons says no publicity is bad publicity.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2010, 05:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I wish they had used one here. This must be the worst song ever, and it was a big hit too for some reason. That made me lose faith in peoples taste for music.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 24 2010, 06:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 24 2010, 12:46 PM) *
I wish they had used one here. This must be the worst song ever, and it was a big hit too for some reason. That made me lose faith in peoples taste for music.

This song became a hit because of one thing: the ear worm. It may not be a great song, but it has one catchy ear worm, you'll be humming this all freaking day tongue.gif It is even written down on an umbrella and rotated in an hypnotic fashion tongue.gif Damn, even I'm humming this now dry.gif Get it out of my head!!!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 24 2010, 06:49 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Given the fact that "X-factor" just started in Germany (along with other casting shows...) it seems like they're fishing for publicity. I actually thought you would hear that awful auto-tune effect everytime it is used (yes Kanye West, I'm talking to you...)?!
Would be interesting to see and hear some videos of the british x-factor where it was used (if the story is true).

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 24 2010, 07:18 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 24 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Great I'm gonna be singing this the rest of the day laugh.gif I also have an uncontrollable urge to do the "running man" smile.gif

And as for X-Factor, American Idol and all those other shows... the artists are pretty much manufactured so the controversy may as well be too. Although they do get a few contestants who can actually sing, but the pop machine usually ruins it.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Aug 24 2010, 07:20 PM

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 24 2010, 07:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 24 2010, 04:57 PM) *
Personally I only watch X Factor for those really really bad performance biggrin.gif .

Good reason laugh.gif !!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 24 2010, 09:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 24 2010, 06:46 PM) *

Aoowww, yeah, I remember this one too. My daughter liked it... for some strange reason, she has a musical ear... but I guess it was the totally silly refrain.... disgusting. laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Aug 25 2010, 02:18 PM
Jazz Instructor
Well, here in Serbia they use autotune software for years because half of the female singers don't have a clue about singing.
Software should help us be better, not cheat. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Aug 26 2010, 12:42 AM
GMC:er
This is sooo bad pubicity for all this kind of shows. There are versions of that program everywhere.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 26 2010, 04:40 PM
Instructor
im not really against auto tune, i find myself having great takes on the studio with 1, 2, 3 or some notes bad, so i admit i use auto tune to save time, but specially to keep those takes i love, i don't think is cheating if you do it correctly.

now if you have to cover mistakes thru the whole thing, that's not a great take, so go back and record it again.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 26 2010, 04:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Aug 24 2010, 04:25 PM) *
"You are forbidden to enter a recording-studio if You cant sing a C-major scale in tune". There can the auto-tune come in handy to measure who can or cannot - and the production of records will drop by 90% or so..... laugh.gif

//Staffay

that should be a law or something tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 29 2010, 03:08 PM
Learning Roadie
I like autotune. I also like to the way they use to make your voice go everywhere in the song, if you know what I mean! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 29 2010, 04:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Interesting debate actually, playing devils advocate is it any more cheating than using any other types of musical aids to get a better vocal such as reverb or delay or the auto harmonies that are applied everywhere to recordings?

Personally I couldnt care less about the X factor and its garbage, they might as well use the auto tune because they rate image, publicity and production way, way more than the actual talent of the individuals, as Ive always said I dont hold the performers responsible, theyre just persuing their dreams, fair enough, its greedy, horrible, manipulative little (Insert expletive of choice!) like Cowell who I reserve my hatred for.

+Quote Post
kahall
Aug 29 2010, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Auto tune is really good for doing the news.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:39 PM