Tv Vs Internet
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2014, 09:26 AM
Instructor
I haven't been watching TV for about 12 years - I am not kidding! I find it brainwashing in a percentage that is too high and that's one reason why I gave it up and my life has never been better.

One very important reason for which I prefer the internet over TV, is the fact that you get to watch what you want, when you want and you are not interrupted by commercials - well, that seems to slowly change, now that all the internet TV channels have inserted some publicity here and there..

What do you prefer and why? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
May 27 2014, 12:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 27 2014, 09:26 AM) *
I haven't been watching TV for about 12 years - I am not kidding! I find it brainwashing in a percentage that is too high and that's one reason why I gave it up and my life has never been better.

One very important reason for which I prefer the internet over TV, is the fact that you get to watch what you want, when you want and you are not interrupted by commercials - well, that seems to slowly change, now that all the internet TV channels have inserted some publicity here and there..

Im not a fan of TV either, for much the same reasons you mentioned. If I were single I wouldnt even bother owning a TV, I could easily live without it.
I used to watch a fair bit of the discovery channels but they have been going downhill for a while with all their pseudo reality shows.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2014, 04:24 PM
Instructor
Internet rules... everything is here. TV shows what other people wants, Internet is closer to liberty. biggrin.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 27 2014, 04:37 PM
GMC:er
I watch some TV (I don't have cable or satellite so it's just 'network'). I like to sit down in a big chair in front of a bigger screen and just be passive entertained. I dig cop shows, sci-fi, some news and documentaries, etc.
*I don't like watching 'shows' on my computer unless I can't find it anywhere else.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2014, 08:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 27 2014, 03:24 PM) *
Internet rules... everything is here. TV shows what other people wants, Internet is closer to liberty. biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Short, eloquent and sweet!

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 27 2014, 03:37 PM) *
I watch some TV (I don't have cable or satellite so it's just 'network'). I like to sit down in a big chair in front of a bigger screen and just be passive entertained. I dig cop shows, sci-fi, some news and documentaries, etc.
*I don't like watching 'shows' on my computer unless I can't find it anywhere else.

I am planning on getting a bigger monitor for my studio computer soon enough, so that I can watch movies and documentaries in the studio biggrin.gif It's not that fun to use the laptop, but since I don't own a TV, that's the only thing I got for watching stuff smile.gif

And... I dislike news - in Romania, you can only hear BAD news. This is one reason for which people are so gray in here..

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 28 2014, 10:22 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2014, 03:29 AM) *
I am planning on getting a bigger monitor for my studio computer soon enough, so that I can watch movies and documentaries in the studio biggrin.gif It's not that fun to use the laptop, but since I don't own a TV, that's the only thing I got for watching stuff smile.gif

And... I dislike news - in Romania, you can only hear BAD news. This is one reason for which people are so gray in here..

I have a good sized tv for my setup. I feel the news here is the same way, the negative out weighs the positive.

I prefer the internet, I will watch new tv shows years after they finish. Like Breaking Bad, I started to watch right when they aired the last show. I don't want to feel like the TV runs my life. Hey! Watch me at this time, this day! I actually spend more time listening to music on youtube then watching shows.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 28 2014, 10:55 AM
Instructor
I prefer the internet for finding information and giving me info. Plus it's great if I want to find some history doc on Youtube about Romans, Carthaginians or anything else.. I also like to watch playthroughs of certain games, if they're story based because it's like watching a tv series.

But I prefer tv for winding down. If there's a good film on or an interesting doc, them I'm happy.

I feel the difference is, when the computer is on I'm still doing stuff.. if the tv is on, I'm not doing anything.

I feel like choice is the key influencing factor here in this thread. But you can still exercise choice with the tv. If you check the listing and there's a program you do want to watch, then choose to turn it on. But you don't have to sit there like a zombie if you don't want to. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2014, 02:04 PM
I bought a 46 inch led hdtv for use as my main studio computer monitor and it's the best money I've ever spent!!! having a HUGE screen as your main monitor makes live just better. I had seen how lots of folks I follow were switching to just using a bit flat screen tv in their studio in stead of a computer monitor and was hesitant at first but man o man is it killer!

Here is a grab of keith merrow using a tv as his main monitor for an example. Notice he has two kempers?

Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2014, 03:29 AM) *
Short, eloquent and sweet!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 28 2014, 02:48 PM

+Quote Post
gregc1
May 28 2014, 09:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I would probably lean towards the TV over the internet, only because I spend all day working in front of computer monitors and at the end of the day I just can't stomach staring at and clicking on computers anymore.

There's not much on TV I really care for these days but I do like to just zone out with science, history or sports. My wife likes watching movies so I'll get sucked into those every now and then as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 29 2014, 09:19 AM
Instructor
In here, TV is all about stupid commercials, stupid tv shows promoting frivolity and superficial behavior and more than that, there's a show around 5 PM that talks about incredibly stupid and brutal murders from the Romanian countryside. Man - I don't need none of that.

As Gabi said, the internet allows you to choose what you want to see and when! That's the thing for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 29 2014, 08:50 PM
By "internet" do you just mean having your media on demand?

We moved about 5 years ago and decided to wait a month to get the cable hooked up. Then just never did. Apple TV has been our best buddy for a while now. I was stuck in a hospital for a few days this week and thought I was going to lose my mind watching regular tv. I had a buddy bring me a cable to hook my ipad to the tv.

Ahhh, the times we live in.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 27 2014, 08:26 AM) *

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 30 2014, 09:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 29 2014, 07:50 PM) *
By "internet" do you just mean having your media on demand?

We moved about 5 years ago and decided to wait a month to get the cable hooked up. Then just never did. Apple TV has been our best buddy for a while now. I was stuck in a hospital for a few days this week and thought I was going to lose my mind watching regular tv. I had a buddy bring me a cable to hook my ipad to the tv.

Ahhh, the times we live in.

Nah man, I just mean internet as in the regular meaning - but you get to search and watch whatever you wish, instead of being fed with what the TV channels want. Trust me, it is hard to understand my seemingly enraged attitude, but the televisions in here are simply mass stupidifying tools... TV is one very important reason for which the Romanian folks are lacking culture and are spiritually weak.

+Quote Post
Mith
May 31 2014, 06:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I hear you on that. I don't even remember the last time I watched regular TV. I still watch a handful of shows that I download but I actually have a plasma TV mounted above my regular computer monitor as a 2nd monitor. So I just watch it off that. I do miss having a small sofa in the studio room so I could watch stuff from that and jam on a guitar or 2. I spend way too much time in a computer chair either practicing or surfing

In saying that I mostly watch movies. I feel its good for the creative side of someones mind and can help with music

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 31 2014, 08:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ May 31 2014, 05:51 AM) *
I hear you on that. I don't even remember the last time I watched regular TV. I still watch a handful of shows that I download but I actually have a plasma TV mounted above my regular computer monitor as a 2nd monitor. So I just watch it off that. I do miss having a small sofa in the studio room so I could watch stuff from that and jam on a guitar or 2. I spend way too much time in a computer chair either practicing or surfing

In saying that I mostly watch movies. I feel its good for the creative side of someones mind and can help with music

I totally dig a nice movie that can take your mind off things smile.gif I also watch a few series - A game of thrones, Vikings, Da Vinci's Demons, Sleepy Hollow and Arrow.

It's a good thing that the seasons are not aired in the same time laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
May 31 2014, 10:24 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 31 2014, 03:14 PM) *
I totally dig a nice movie that can take your mind off things smile.gif I also watch a few series - A game of thrones, Vikings, Da Vinci's Demons, Sleepy Hollow and Arrow.

It's a good thing that the seasons are not aired in the same time laugh.gif

Man Game of thones is like the only series that I pretty much have to watch the night it comes out. everything else I'm lik, yeah I'll watch that when I want to chill. Most the time when I watch a serious I like chilling for a day or two and watching every single episode lol. I do try practice some patterns while I do tho

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Becca
May 31 2014, 01:41 PM
TV is best viewed selectively imho. I tend to watch specific things like science documentaries. BBC's Horizon shows are usually pretty good. And the Sky At Night as I am a keen astronomer.(oh gosh, could I sound more nerdy?).
Loved the series Vikings about Ragnar. Never watched Game Of Thrones but folks say its pretty good. I stopped reading newspapers a few years ago and I am much happier now without them. Try it, it works. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 1 2014, 09:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Becca @ May 31 2014, 12:41 PM) *
TV is best viewed selectively imho. I tend to watch specific things like science documentaries. BBC's Horizon shows are usually pretty good. And the Sky At Night as I am a keen astronomer.(oh gosh, could I sound more nerdy?).
Loved the series Vikings about Ragnar. Never watched Game Of Thrones but folks say its pretty good. I stopped reading newspapers a few years ago and I am much happier now without them. Try it, it works. smile.gif

I have a telescope and I sometimes go up on the roof when there is a starry night smile.gif At the mountain house - well, the air there is WAY cleaner and you can see a huge amount of stars and constellations on a clear night!

For me, a late evening with a nice episode or two from one of my favorite series can be very relaxing. Too bad that GOT has 3 more episodes and it's gonna be finished till the next season sad.gif

+Quote Post
Becca
Jun 1 2014, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 1 2014, 08:10 AM) *
I have a telescope and I sometimes go up on the roof when there is a starry night smile.gif At the mountain house - well, the air there is WAY cleaner and you can see a huge amount of stars and constellations on a clear night!

For me, a late evening with a nice episode or two from one of my favorite series can be very relaxing. Too bad that GOT has 3 more episodes and it's gonna be finished till the next season sad.gif

Cosmin the mountain house sounds fantastic for stargazing! I am lucky here as it a rural area so not much light pollution but clear mountain air would be great. I did get a great view of the ISS last month being tailed by the Dragon resupply ship. The fact that as a species we can do stuff like that thrills me. I just wish we could stop slaughtering each other here on Earth.
I think I had better start watching Game Of Thrones as everyone seems to rate it. Probably means a lost weekend of telly and pizza to try and catch up. How many seasons are there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeeJay
Jun 1 2014, 09:39 PM
Though I generally agree with you, on the web, you are even more marketed towards.

Yes, commercials are dumb, but you are definitely attacked with a different strategy on the internet. And things like Facebook can be even more of a stupefying thing.

But I didn't know it was such a big deal in Romania.

Good for you for being so diligent with your time!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2014, 07:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SeeJay @ Jun 1 2014, 08:39 PM) *
Though I generally agree with you, on the web, you are even more marketed towards.

Yes, commercials are dumb, but you are definitely attacked with a different strategy on the internet. And things like Facebook can be even more of a stupefying thing.

But I didn't know it was such a big deal in Romania.

Good for you for being so diligent with your time!

Thanks man smile.gif Trust me, I am more of a Spartan than you would think - I am not driven by any kind of commercial anywhere, simply because I live a minimalist lifestyle and I REALLY like thinking on what I spend my money on.

QUOTE (Becca @ Jun 1 2014, 11:44 AM) *
Cosmin the mountain house sounds fantastic for stargazing! I am lucky here as it a rural area so not much light pollution but clear mountain air would be great. I did get a great view of the ISS last month being tailed by the Dragon resupply ship. The fact that as a species we can do stuff like that thrills me. I just wish we could stop slaughtering each other here on Earth.
I think I had better start watching Game Of Thrones as everyone seems to rate it. Probably means a lost weekend of telly and pizza to try and catch up. How many seasons are there?

Hehe! I think it would be a little more than a weekend biggrin.gif This one ending in the following two weeks is the 4th season and I am sure there are at least 3 more to come to cover the books written so far. I read the books so I know everything in advance biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:21 AM