Akg Perception 120 And My Ux1, What is Phantom Power?
shredmaster1393
Dec 30 2012, 06:47 AM
GMC:er
I just bought my new baby, an AKG Perception 120 biggrin.gif and i'm trying to set it up with my Line 6 UX1. Unfortunately there is no sound coming from the mic into my audio interface. I looked on google and I saw things about "Phantom Power". Can someone please explain what phantom power is and why its needed, AND are there any cheap ones that I can get so I can get my moneys worth.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not what you take with you, but what you leave behind that defines greatness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Impact"

[size="5"][/size]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GregH
Dec 30 2012, 08:25 AM
GMC:er
Some microphones, such as condenser microphones require power to operate. Some of these microphones have small preamps built into them. Typically, phantom power is provided to operate these microphones. Phantom power is a dc voltage (typically 48 volts but 12 volts and now 24 volts are used in some applications). This dc voltage is provided by some interfaces and preamps. Unfortunately, your Line 6 UX1 does not provide this voltage. One solution is to buy an adapter to provide phantom power, such as Behringer MicroPower PS400 or ART Phantom I Direct Box with Phantom Power Supply. Your microphone would plug into one of these devices and another XLR cable (like your microphone cable) would plug your Line 6 UX1 into the device. The device would also require power (plug in to your house). That should get your microphone working.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 30 2012, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Looks like Greg came up with a thorough answer about this one wink.gif

+Quote Post
kklee100
Dec 30 2012, 05:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Are there other microphones which don't need phantom power?
Can you recommend for us, GregH? Thanx!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2012, 06:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kklee100 @ Dec 30 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Are there other microphones which don't need phantom power?
Can you recommend for us, GregH? Thanx!!

Well, Dynamic mics are the ones that don't need Phantom power. You could go for Shure SM-58, SM-57, SM7 and many others. However you could also solve this problem getting a preamp that provides phantom power. There are many ones out there and the prices go from US$40 to US$3000 (or maybe more!). You could get a Behringer preamp at a very low price.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
kklee100
Dec 30 2012, 06:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you for your answer, Gab.
And what is the difference between dynamic and condenser microphones?
Which one is better?
Thanx!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2012, 07:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kklee100 @ Dec 30 2012, 02:36 PM) *
Thank you for your answer, Gab.
And what is the difference between dynamic and condenser microphones?
Which one is better?
Thanx!!

You can say that one is better than the other one. Both are different technologies and the election depends on the instrument that you want to record. Here you can find a cool article that explains the difference and applications.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14111

Let me know if this article clarifies it! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
kklee100
Dec 30 2012, 09:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanx,Gab. It is a good article.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2012, 11:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kklee100 @ Dec 30 2012, 05:44 PM) *
Thanx,Gab. It is a good article.

no problem! let me know if you still have questions about this or any other thing! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:32 PM