Marshall Mg30dfx
Rating 2 V
Nick325
Aug 4 2007, 04:07 AM
GMC:er
Wiki link

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 16 2008, 08:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 04:26 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 3 2007, 11:07 PM) *

Product: Amp
Maker: Marshall
Model: MG30DFX
Playing Style: All
Price: $230 USD

Sound- Can fit with any style of music. Rock, blues, metal, jazz, etc.

Features- It has 3 channels, clean, distortion, and effects. The clean channel knobs are bass and treble. The distortion channel knobs are gain, bass, contour, and treble. The digital effects are delay, chorus, flange and reverb. FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping). Emulated Line Out jack and Headphone jack.
CD input which allows you to play along to your favorite discs.
Best Features- Effects and can get so loud the walls shake!!!!!

Negatives- Nothing really except you can only use one effect at a time.

Overall- 9 out of 10

Its a good practice amp that can get pretty loud. The effects are good if you dont want to buy pedals yet. You get what you pay for.

Good review man smile.gif As strange as it sounds i have never been into marshall amps. sad.gif Although after reading your review it makes me interested to hear the amp.Marshall is at the top of the list for amplifier's just i think the type of distortion it puts out is more brittish rock sounding and i like a more heavy distortion.But man are they built good and loud as any amp can possibley get smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shredmandan: Aug 4 2007, 04:27 AM

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 4 2007, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 3 2007, 11:26 PM) *
Good review man smile.gif As strange as it sounds i have never been into marshall amps. sad.gif Although after reading your review it makes me interested to hear the amp.Marshall is at the top of the list for amplifier's just i think the type of distortion it puts out is more brittish rock sounding and i like a more heavy distortion.But man are they built good and loud as any amp can possibley get smile.gif

but you can adjust the distrortion sound and get a metal sound out of it. this is only a small marshall the bigger one are even better!

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 4 2007, 10:39 PM
From what I've heard the Marshall MG series is an awful set of amps.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Aug 5 2007, 05:16 AM
What kind of speaker does it have? A celestion maybe hopefully?

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
KGZ
Aug 5 2007, 06:17 AM
i played one at guitar center and hated it.... very digital sounding. It's unfortunate and surprising because the 15dfx is actually a very good practice amp.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 5 2007, 03:46 PM
Instructor
If i am not wrong - a friend of mine has this amp and i must say it does sound like crap! BUT - there is always BUT smile.gif -> These amps are not designed to play without extra distortion pedal. So if you get this amp and use something like DF-7 for distortion you'll have a very good practice amp! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 6 2007, 12:42 PM
Well maybe this is partially just my opinion..

The MG series is the worst amp series by a serious company EVER. It sounds absolutely horrible! I have only tried the MG 100 (which is the 100 watt stack), and I can only assume that this one sounds even worse.

I can't believe Marshall is willing to ruin their reputation by releasing such crappy amps. The MGs doesnt deserve the Marshall logo on them. You can actually pay less money, and get a better amp.

(Sorry for the negativity, but a part of me dies everytime someone says an MG is a good amp)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 6 2007, 02:02 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 6 2007, 01:42 PM) *
(Sorry for the negativity, but a part of me dies everytime someone says an MG is a good amp)

laugh.gif +1

But, I think for a review we will have to concider if the tester is experienced with amps or not.
For someone with the MG as a first amp it could be the best amp in the world.
Someone with more experience from amps will likely think less and less of an amp like MG the more experience you got.

So when reading a review we will have to concider what experience the tester has and we have to valuate the test result with that in mind.

+Quote Post
Scoob
Aug 14 2007, 08:51 AM
I purchased one of these back in the fall, took it home played around for about 30 mins.

Took it back and spent the extra on an ATV20. It sounded better, had more "Marshal".
Celestion speaker and the tube makes it louder than the 30 watt MG series.

I have been happy with it since. A lot of people these days mic a 20 watt amp or less to gig with depending on style. In my basement this is plenty loud enough. The crunch you expect in a marshal was way better.

Decent distortion with the overdrive button in. You can play with the dials to get a fairly wide range and the clean is reasonably smooth for blues style.

I paid about $100 more than I should have, but not much selection in my area. Drive for a few hours west and I saw it much cheaper a month later. About the $280 range. I paid $400 (Canadian) and am still happy.

I realize this is more of a review for the ATV series, but this was how I got there.

Of course everyone has their own taste. I just found the MG was more tin like and had no bottom end.

Cheers

Scoob

This post has been edited by Scoob: Aug 14 2007, 08:52 AM

--------------------
GEAR
guitars: Yamaha SE 350, Yamaha FG-360, Jay Turser JT134 Natural Quilt Top, Dean Vendetta, Squire Telecaster (Project to modify to better guitar. New Pickups and electrical parts done).
amp: Peavey Rage 108
amp Marshall ATV20X - Just bought Mar. 2007
effects: KORG AX3G (Multi), EBOW, Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox. Old Flanger and Chorus
Interface: IK Multimedia STEALTH PLUG

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 15 2007, 01:09 PM
I've never liked marshall amps, i love things that say IM BIG and have great distorsion.. like Krank biggrin.gif I will never leave you krank never! haha Good Review could have been a bit more detailed but obviously got the people talking smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Aug 16 2007, 07:32 PM
+1 for the negativity. Marshall make some great gear, no doubt about it, but unless you pay thousands you won't have much to brag about. The MG series in particular turned out (in my opinion) to be one of the worst entry-level amplifiers I tried. Amps are always going to be a very personal item to buy, everybody has different tastes, but I couldn't ever recommend an MG to anybody.

Also, and try not to take this the wrong way, a single paragraph doesn't make for much in the way of a review.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 7 2007, 07:03 AM
Get to da Chopper!
i have the MG15 dfx, and i hate it. Sure for practise its almost okay but its just plain horrible. And unfortunatly its my only amp atm... Coincidentally i have it on my window ledge- maybe i should just push it out once and for all. Dont consider this line of amplifiers unless your on a tight budget and need something to rock out on (desperatly might i add).

+Quote Post
Gustavo
Oct 16 2007, 07:01 AM
i have a mg15

i don't have money for a big amp..

here in argentina dollar is 3 times more our local money, so this amp for me is great biggrin.gif XD

This post has been edited by Gustavo: Oct 16 2007, 07:01 AM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 16 2007, 07:12 AM
Instructor
I currently have AVT50 but as i've seen from my experience Marshalls tend to have that "Zzzzzzz" sound.

Talking about reviews and advertising biggrin.gif - check this:

http://www.diamondamplification.com/

Dealer's Website With Close pictures And Prices

This post has been edited by Pavel: Oct 16 2007, 07:12 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
lefty01
Oct 16 2007, 07:37 AM
I had the Marshall Mg30DFX...and, it was really bad. I was one of the worst combo amps I have ever played through. Please, don't get me wrong. Marshall amps r-o-c-k, but the MG series is about as far away from a "real" Marshall as you can get. The only thing that makes it a "Marshall", is the logo plate. Sorry to be such a stick-in-the-mud, but this amp really is not that good at all.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 16 2007, 07:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
The solid state Marshalls really do suck, no doubt about it. But I don't see the sense in buying a marshall without a tube in it. Mind that you can ALWAYS hear when a guitarist is playing a marshall, it's just a unique sound!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 16 2007, 09:02 AM
Hey if this is your first amp and you dig it, rock on. I'll be writting a review on negativity later.....

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Pedro Laplaza
Nov 27 2007, 04:01 AM
i had one for a few days and i didnt like it, it would be nice you could manage the efects from the FS
but i think is a good training amp, or even to get out of trouble in a rehearsal, but i'd never used it for a live performance

--------------------
Gear: Epiphone SG G400 with EMG 81 (ac) on Bridge
Washburn Acoustic
Washburn Strato
Tonelab LE VOX
Marshall 8080

and trying to find out what they are used for :)

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Nov 27 2007, 01:29 PM
QUOTE (Understudy @ Oct 16 2007, 02:02 AM) *
Hey if this is your first amp and you dig it, rock on. I'll be writting a review on negativity later.....

LOL! Nice! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:06 PM