Make Shift Amp + Recording, Well, I made some changes
CathShadow
Sep 15 2009, 03:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok, So i'm in Holland now and I REALLY need to save, however I brought my Ibanez and my RP90 processor... Now, I didn't have an amp and was getting very tired of using earphones, so I landed up unplugging the center/sub cable from the PC (the connector between PC and sub itself) and plugged it into my Modelling Processor... works beautifully...

Then I had another spark (after buying a Guitar->usb cable) -> I can use the same concept to plug the guitar (from the processor (OR guitar) to the MIC connector (one of the big to little connector converters I had lying around fits the setup lol)...

Since both the Store bought cable (which is really great because of it's quality and ability to convert from analog to digital) AND my makeshift cable both work as MIC, I joined the concepts together (worked well)...

Only thing I Don't like is that since it works as a MIC, natively windows doesn't play the sound you send through your MIC due to echoing issues -> so I have to still keep the "Makeshift amp" setup instead of just outputting the guitar through the recording cable connection...

Anyone got ideas how to do this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 15 2009, 11:53 PM
Instructor
Which sound card you have ?!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 16 2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor
I didn't understand what exactly you are trying to do, could you rephrase a bit? What sound card do you have? Do you want to connect RP90 to PC?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Sep 16 2009, 06:39 AM
heheh yeah guess I didn't explain it the best:

Well I have an onboard in Raeltek HD...

basically I've gotten the guitar to be able to record on the PC using the Mic as input. but I cannot hear the guitar at all using this method until playback.

however the other method I use is bypassing the PC and outputting the sound directly to the speakers instead.

So I can hear the sound by combining the two.

Thing is that takes away my center/sub channels while I play.

So I want to figure out how to get the sound to be outputted through the PC as well using only the proper guitar=>usb connector (which uses a Mic channel)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 16 2009, 09:49 PM
Instructor
realtek is intergrated sound card that doesn't serve for audio recording well, because it has too big latency. If you want to record on computer, you need an audio interface, preferably USB one for convenient use.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Sep 17 2009, 12:22 PM
Instructor
+1 on what Ivan said, the soundcard on your motherboard isn't very good for recording. You can get USB interfaces for pretty cheap.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 17 2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Ivan is right.
I would just add that you could use integrated sound card but it takes some work to make it work. Like installing Asio 4 all drivers adjusting them in your DAW and having minimal latency. My bass player does that and records that way, he taught me to do the same. Its great if you are on zero budget smile.gif
Ideally you would want specific sound card that will serve you for future and your music projects overall. I use POD X3 live via USB to record and adjust that in DAW as sound card option. Works great, no latency!

--------------------

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Sep 17 2009, 02:13 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 17 2009, 02:26 PM) *
Ivan is right.
I would just add that you could use integrated sound card but it takes some work to make it work. Like installing Asio 4 all drivers adjusting them in your DAW and having minimal latency. My bass player does that and records that way, he taught me to do the same. Its great if you are on zero budget smile.gif
Ideally you would want specific sound card that will serve you for future and your music projects overall. I use POD X3 live via USB to record and adjust that in DAW as sound card option. Works great, no latency!

Hmmm
I think I should consider that => also a side note: the usb cable that I have essentially Bypasses the soundcard and converts the sound to digital (so the quality when i record seems decent) => however It's hearing what I'm playing real time that is the issue (I want to hear it through the PC speakers while I play ) (although the recording quality is great)... I think specifically that is a raeltek issue though... (since that usb cable acts as a usb mic) so basically I want to route the "USB MIC" to the PC Speakers tongue.gif... maybe new soundcard seems to be the solution..

--------------------

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Sep 17 2009, 08:29 PM

Ok... So: there's an arb hidden setting: Stereo Mix, as well as a setting within Audacity => Transport->software playthrough...

which means I got what I wanted to right...

However you were right about the latency of the soundcard. It's TERRIBLE...

SOOOOOOOOOOOO if I wanna do this, I guess I need another SoundCard, or just do it my "makeshift amp" way and just change the wires when I wanna use my PC for entertainment rather than education wink.gif

Thanks for all the help/input wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 18 2009, 08:07 AM
Instructor
No problem man, let use know if there are any more problems. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:22 AM