Recording, help
Dreamcatcher
Jan 7 2009, 02:55 PM
GMC:er
Ok heres my deal I simply have a guitar an amp and a computer ....how do I get the sound to go directly to the computer for editing and saving? I grabbed a simple stereo cord to go from the headphone jack to the mic part of the comp...i'm thinking this is not correct since I have a ton of static on the recording. Is it just settings at this point or am I off base completely?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dreamcatcher: Jan 7 2009, 02:56 PM

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 7 2009, 03:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well if you want to JUST record without much quality , you can do it similar to what you did..But , you need to go to the LINE IN input on your sound card (instead of Mic input) in order to get a clean sound..You should be able to capture the sound you would normally hear through headphones on your amp..

If you need something more , I would suggest a recording interface like Line6 Toneport (any one , gx,ux1, ux2)...They act as sound cards through USB and allow for a very good quality recordings (and you don't need to use your amp at all just go straight to toneport)..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 7 2009, 03:07 PM) *
you need to go to the LINE IN input on your sound card (instead of Mic input) in order to get a clean sound..

there's one big BUT though.... one have to have a preamp to be able of using a line-in instead of mic-in. If his amp have a special line output... well, he's done smile.gif

This post has been edited by utak3r: Jan 7 2009, 03:36 PM

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 7 2009, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 7 2009, 03:36 PM) *
there's one big BUT though.... one have to have a preamp to be able of using a line-in instead of mic-in. If his amp have a special line output... well, he's done smile.gif

He was going to connect from headphones output on the amp , to sound card..So proper input to use is Line in in order to get a clean sound...I often recorded from Headphones outputs from devices that didn't have any other (Casset players etc)..
Of course , don't go from guitar straight to sound card in any input/case , if you are not using some kind of preamp to convert signal to balanced one.I'm not that into electronics but I think this is a correct way of connecting the equipment..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 7 2009, 05:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Jan 7 2009, 05:14 PM
so I basically need to buy some sort of medium to record with yes?

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2009, 05:32 PM
Instructor
The most easiest way to go is to get some kind of a guitar interface like Line 6 Toneport/POD Studio UX1/GX models. You will have a good tone and ability to record yourself and make songs with a lot less effort. The device is well worth it. Here's s post on a subject:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=301294

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 7 2009, 05:45 PM
QUOTE (Dreamcatcher @ Jan 7 2009, 05:14 PM) *
so I basically need to buy some sort of medium to record with yes?

I would like Ivan like to recommend getting a line6 toneport interface..Its not expensive and will be most convenient to use and easy and will allow you for good quality recordings on your PC...

I use it for my lessons work.. (toneport ux2)

Ask if you have any questions about it..

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 7 2009, 05:12 PM) *
I'm not that into electronics but I think this is a correct way of connecting the equipment..

That's exactly so.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:26 PM