2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Opinions Please On These 2 Guitars, possibly my next guitar
Bondy
Feb 17 2009, 10:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Guys some of you may know I sold all my guitars a couple of months ago to fund buying a top notch guitar and bought a cheap Les Paul copy to see me through(which to be fair aint bad apart from the neck being too thick for me), unfortunately I ran into some money difficulty's when my tax bill came through more than i was expecting so it wiped out my funds that i had saved. mad.gif

So I had to start saving from scratch. I was definitely going to buy a Jackson SL1, But now Washburn have finally made a Lefty vintage N4 which has just come out there both around the same price new, I was just wondering if any of you guys have played these guitars, being a lefty there like rocking horse doo doo there is probably not much chance of trying one before i buy, well maybe the Jackson, the Washburn would probably have to be imported from the US, though i have asked a few suppliers if they can get them here waiting to hear back.

What do you think??

Attached ImageAttached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 17 2009, 10:51 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I've tried neither, but I believe I'd get the Jackson, looks much better! Ok, not a very good reason laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 17 2009, 10:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
I've played the Nuno Washburn and I didn't like it - It feels somehow weird, bill lawrence pickup and wood structure..., and as it's specificly built for mr bettencourt, you're buying a signature guitar that was built for someone elses style of playing and not your own!

The Jackson is great for sure, a real pro instrument!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bondy
Feb 17 2009, 11:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 17 2009, 11:57 PM) *
I've played the Nuno Washburn and I didn't like it - It feels somehow weird, bill lawrence pickup and wood structure..., and as it's specificly built for mr bettencourt, you're buying a signature guitar that was built for someone elses style of playing and not your own!

The Jackson is great for sure, a real pro instrument!

Thanks for the input Zakk I'am leaning more towards the Jackson atm smile.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 17 2009, 11:05 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Normally I would be all over the USA made Jackson. Couple of things come to mind when comparing these two though.

First the p/up's: Duncan '59 and a Lawrence L-500 in the Bettencourt model, probably a bit better combination than the Seymour Duncan JB TB4 humbucker (bridge) and Classic Stack humbuckers (middle, neck) in the Jackson.

Advanced tuning system of the N4. Not sure what this will offer...

Swamp Ash body vs Alder with flamed Maple top of the Jackson, vote goes to Jackson here. smile.gif

True Neck thru design of the Jackson, again vote goes to the Jackson.

Ebony board of the N4, probably will sound a bit darker than the Rosewood of the Jackson (which I would love to hear)

CTS pots and switchcraft switches in the Jackson are quality.

Looks definitely go to the Jackson

I guess personally for me, the Jackson would get the nod. Spending that kind of money I would seriously try and at least get an earful of the N4 before buying. Good luck mate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 17 2009, 11:15 PM
GMC:er
I have an SL1.

Nothing I have ever played feels as good to me.

I have not played any Washburns though.

I did used to have a Bill Lawrence XL-500 and L-500 set though. I did NOT like them at all. Very THIN.

Nuno and Dimebag used Bill Lawrence. Both are/were amazing players. But personally I never liked the tone of either. Again, trebly and thin.

That being said, new pickups are an easy fix for either one. So dont go off that unless you dont want to modify the guitar.

Everybody finds a guitar that is just perfect for them. For me its my USA SL1. I just wish my playing did it justice!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Bondy
Feb 17 2009, 11:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the sound Advice guys, I think you just made my mind up for me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 18 2009, 12:28 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Bondy @ Feb 17 2009, 05:19 PM) *
Thanks for the sound Advice guys, I think you just made my mind up for me. biggrin.gif

Hey Craig, thought I'd mention, if you go for the Jackson, do consider the SL2H. USA made Dinky but with 2 humbucker p/up config. Drop you a set of EMG's in their and oh boy...Look out! cool.gif

Check out this 06' Lefty...

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/1037155387.html

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 18 2009, 03:12 AM
Instructor
This Jackson looks great. I played this Nuno guitar and didn't like it that much.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2009, 03:28 AM
Instructor
I tried the Nuno model in a store a while ago and i wasnt very impressed. Seems like no one here likes the N4 smile.gif
But when it comes to the Jackson, then i can guarantee you that you will be getting a top notch guitar!

The SL1s are of high quality and very versatile.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 18 2009, 04:05 AM
Instructor
A friend had the N4 a while ago and I think it's a really great guitar and I'd go for it. But if you're looking for a guitar to shred the Jackson would be the one because it's thin neck would please your fingers when you burn out the wood cool.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Feb 18 2009, 06:50 AM
GMC:er
I'm not too impressed that Washburn is spelled backwards. LOL (Bondy just can't leave a single photo alone haha jk)

My vote is the JACKSON!

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Feb 18 2009, 06:51 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 18 2009, 10:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ive not played that particular jackson but my performer looks very similar layout, its a really nice guitar to play but the fretboards seem quite wide and flat to me, although this may be better for certain styles of playing, i prefer my LP thicker neck.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 18 2009, 11:15 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I have never tried either one of those guitars, but I know the Bill Lawrence pickup, and I never liked it. But well, this is my taste, you might love that pickup... so... I really dislike the idea of buying a guitar that I didn't try before, so in my opinion you should really try to find a place where you can try them. If you can only try the Jackson and you like it, then go for that one, in this case you aresure you buy something that you like.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 18 2009, 11:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
you know which one I`d pick laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 18 2009, 12:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think the jackson has a better looking body, but the washburn has a more nice headstock.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Feb 18 2009, 01:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
There is an instructor here at GMC that uses the N4 a fair amount on his videos, I'll try to find him mate if you want to ask him questions about it!

It is hard when you can't try before you buy, and it sounds like the N4 is very much an aquired taste as a lot of people seem to find it a bad match for them.

The Jackson seems a better shot in the dark, especially as it gets high praise around here smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 18 2009, 02:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
um.. the Jackson.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 18 2009, 02:50 PM
Instructor
I don't have much experience with Jacksons, but I have tried the Washburn and like it a lot. :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 18 2009, 04:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Just to disagree with people here, I must actually say that I like the N4 better visually biggrin.gif
Cant say my opinion about the sound since I`ve not heard any of them, but as mentioned: The N4 is built for Nuno`s spesific style and settings. Unless you play much of that style of music, I would have considered buying a signature guitar.

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:22 PM