Just Scored An Awesome Deal On A Peavy Valveking 212 Tube Amp
Guitar1969
Jun 18 2009, 05:53 PM
GMC:er
So I was on another forum, and there was a guy who found a Peavy Valveking 212 all tube Combo amp for $425 online. This is the 100watt all tube amp(The big boy). So he pricematched it at Guitar Center. The reviews on this amp are great and eveybody says its a great deal at the normal street price of $650, but at $425 its a steal.

I wasn't planning on buying a new amp right now, but am kind of sick of all the solid state modeling amp stuff I have(can't get the distortion I want), and was considering a smaller tube amp like the Blackheart(5W) combo which is about $350 with 1 12" speaker. So when I saw this deal, although it is way more power than I need(Don't currently Gig much and when I do I use a modeler pedal direct) it was too good of a deal to pass up(being only a few bucks more than the Blackheart). So I price matched it at Musiciansfriend for $425 with shipping includef(MF normall charges $70 extra to ship the beast)because I like their customer service if anything should go wrong. They gave me a bit of a hard time , but because the internet seller is authorized Peavy, they couldnt deny it due to their pricematch guarantee. The only down side is I couldn't play one myself before buying because I am swamped at work and didn't want to miss this deal, but I 've read every review on this thing and it sounds like a very versitaile amp, has a good clean and can get pretty dirty.

So I got a Valveking Combo 212(100w all tube with 2 12" speakers) coming. Its a beast(about 80lbs), but people say its comparable in sound to a Fender Twin Reverb but it has a knob to switch between A and A/B class and get pretty dirty if you want it to so it can play harder rock, and if you need more distortion, a tubescreamer works well.

So I 'm excited to finally move into the tube realm(Although I know there is more maintenance inviolved- I liked the simplicity of solid state.), but now I can get some real tone. I now have to somehow get it past the wife(maybe I'll keep it at my office for a few months)

If anybody else is interested, here 's the internet ad that you can pricematch somewhere(Or buy from them):

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PVVALVEKING212#top

In my mind this is the best deal I've ever gotten on music equipment(30% off street price)

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Jun 18 2009, 06:17 PM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 18 2009, 06:19 PM
congrats! honestly there isnt much maintenance as you think...

just replace the tubes once a year or so, you will know when its time. its easier than taking care of a guitar i promise!

welcome to tone land!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 18 2009, 06:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. I have a feeling it might be too much power for you though tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2009, 06:42 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Congratulations man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 18 2009, 06:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Congrats! smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 18 2009, 09:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
Gratz mate, good to see someone getting a good deal from the retailers for once!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 18 2009, 11:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
wow congrats mate, that is a great deal and amp you got! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jun 19 2009, 12:24 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 18 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. I have a feeling it might be too much power for you though tongue.gif

I agree - I think it is a bit overkill for my situation but it was too good of a deal for me to pass up - I am looking into a Volume Attenuator so I can drive the tubes but at lower volumes. I know traditionally the volume attenuators go between the amp and the speakers, but I see a few cheaper ones advertised that go into the effects loop and claim to do the same thing. Will they suffice, or even my floor pedal(Zoom G2) controlling volume(volume pedal) in the effects loop after the preamp. Will this accomplish the same thing. The reason why I ask is I really don't want to spend $150 on a fancy volume attenuator.

The amp also has the ability to switch texture between the less efficient Class A and high output A/B settings If I ran it closer to class A, I assume that would help with volume control but probably push the tubes hard where they would not last as long. If anybody has any insight to this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 19 2009, 12:15 PM
Congrats on a very nice piece of equipment!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2009, 07:02 PM
Instructor
Great deal man congratulations! May it serve you well, and if you move it ask for a second hand to help you! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 20 2009, 05:49 AM
I got the Omnisonic Tube Amp volume box for Peavey, goes in the effects loop as you say, and it works fine. You can get it on Ebay for under $20. Many many positive reviews on Harmony Central, etc.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 21 2009, 06:09 PM
Learning Roadie
I've heard Weber attenuators are some of the best, and they're pretty cheap. Haven't tried them myself.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:44 PM