Something To Check Out!, For Steps Ahead fans :)
Pedja Simovic
Jul 1 2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor
This one is from 1986, 23 years old , Live in Tokyo concert - Steps Ahead. Beirut is name of the piece. Michael Brecker my all time favorite musician and improviser in this one of course.
Its 9:56 long but its definitely worth checking out!
We can later analyze the song if you are into that sort of a thing smile.gif

Enjoy it !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 1 2009, 02:06 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
That was incredible. smile.gif Not sure I've ever heard anything like it. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 1 2009, 02:20 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Nice choice Pedja smile.gif .

I saw Steps/Steps Ahead years ago and also saw Brecker solo and with Pat Metheny back in the very early 90s. Steps Ahead live at times were phenomenal. Brecker was one of the great improvisers.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 1 2009, 02:26 PM
Instructor
This is awesome. Definitely worth every second of watching. Thanks for sharing

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 1 2009, 02:42 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Really enjoyed that Pedja. As Emir said, worth every minute of watching. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 1 2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 1 2009, 03:06 PM) *
That was incredible. smile.gif Not sure I've ever heard anything like it. biggrin.gif

Very pleased to hear you like it Matt smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 1 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Nice choice Pedja smile.gif .

I saw Steps/Steps Ahead years ago and also saw Brecker solo and with Pat Metheny back in the very early 90s. Steps Ahead live at times were phenomenal. Brecker was one of the great improvisers.

I envy you Tony!
Never heard Steps Ahead live with Michael Brekcer in the line up sad.gif
I did hear Metheny Brekcer Herbie H Dave Holland and Roy Hargroove in Boston Symphony (in memory of Miles and Coltrane). Unbelievable performance!
Brecker my all time favorite always. Glad you like Steps Ahead Tony smile.gif

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jul 1 2009, 03:26 PM) *
This is awesome. Definitely worth every second of watching. Thanks for sharing

You welcome Emir. The reason why I posted it here because its 23 years old but whole live performance and playing is phenomenal. Its way before and after the time we are in smile.gif

QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 1 2009, 03:42 PM) *
Really enjoyed that Pedja. As Emir said, worth every minute of watching. smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed it Skennington smile.gif
I will try to find some more great ones on Youtube and post them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 1 2009, 07:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Jul 1 2009, 08:36 PM) *
Funky groove, awesome to jam too.

Yes !
D pedal point in intro with augmented scale and very special pentatonic in main melody smile.gif (D F F# A C!). So you get Dom7#9 pentatonic but you can get D7 and Dmin7 chord tones as well !
Used to play this tune at Berklee, such a fun one to improvise and arrangement is very cool and open for interpretations !

One more thing...
A lot of the soloing is done with diminished half whole scale from D. So you basically get whole bunch of variety in modes and tonal centers which makes this tune very fun to solo over smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
micpon
Jul 1 2009, 08:22 PM
GMC:er
Strange last night I was watching the former Steps Ahead playing Skyward Bound on Youtube....

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 1 2009, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Nice improvisations, a bit strange but cool to check out! Thanks for sharing Pedja smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Jul 1 2009, 08:33 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Great video, this is great improvisatoin smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:48 AM