For Ibanez Lo-pro Users
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 05:46 PM
GMC:er
Just wanted to share my (unconventional) trem. setup incase will be useful for someone else.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?ph...id=503870995037

Probably users would know, with factory setup that "block" I colored in red is hardly seen and aligned parallel to the body. After many years of using it like that I gave this a try and liked it much more. The saddles are completely flat from strings, sort of like the edge pro trem.).

It's not suitable for (setup) beginners cause likely to get the trem. height enough with a good break-up angle like that, one will likely have to remove the neck and add a shim. Also the trem. springs must be adjusted etc... also its good to keep the fine-tuners as low as possible. But its not a big deal for a luthier, about 15-20 min. work for them.

As to why I like it more;

-The trem. being higher, my arm feels more comfortable/looser.
-Trem. surface being flat (flush to the body/strings), way easier to move picking hand from 1 e string to the other. Specially low-e string picking gets easier.

The only downside I can note is you may not be able to pull the trem. as much. I never pull and infact blocked it long ago but diving isn't an issue.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 12 2021, 05:47 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 06:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
The first link doesn't seem to work for me.

I have mine parallel to the body like the picture. Is this wrong? I thought it was supposed to be like that. It's a bit deep, so it doesn't sit all above the body, but sort of half way down, I would think.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 05:05 PM) *
The first link doesn't seem to work for me.

I have mine parallel to the body like the picture. Is this wrong? I thought it was supposed to be like that. It's a bit deep, so it doesn't sit all above the body, but sort of half way down, I would think.

No worries the link is the same pic. but only bigger.

The only reference is the black square (you may have to look up-close holding a light to be sure) if you want it to be how Gotoh designed it to be. When that square is perfectly parallel to the body and your fine tuners are set relatively high, the part where you squeeze the strings and rest your hand will have a slight angle.

From your description it might be set between mine and the factory setup.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 12 2021, 06:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 06:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 06:15 PM) *
No worries the link is the same pic. but only bigger.

The only reference is the black square (you may have to look up-close holding a light to be sure) if you want it to be how Gotoh designed it to be. When that square is perfectly parallel to the body and your fine tuners are set relatively high, the part where you squeeze the strings and rest your hand will have a slight angle.

From your description it might be set between mine and the factory setup.

Been a long time since I looked at it, and what do you know, I was completely wrong laugh.gif The square is not visible at all but is actually "beneath" the edge of the body.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 06:25 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 05:17 PM) *
Been a long time since I looked at it, and what do you know, I was completely wrong laugh.gif The square is not visible at all but is actually "beneath" the edge of the body.

Thats how it normally should be. Can you determine its angle? I used to use phone light cause its not easy to see.

https://www.metalguitarist.org/cdn-cgi/imag...mp;d=1461282304

This is a random picture from web as to how parallel that black-block should be. You can see the saddles are angled quite a bit which is the normal factory setup.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 12 2021, 06:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 06:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 06:25 PM) *
Thats how it normally should be. Can you determine its angle? I used to use phone light cause its not easy to see.

https://www.metalguitarist.org/cdn-cgi/imag...mp;d=1461282304

This is a random picture from web as to how parallel that black-block should be. You can see the saddles are angled quite a bit which is the normal factory setup.

With a light I can shine down the cavity and kinda see it. I do have problems with pulling up on the trem, I just remembered. I haven't used that Ibanez for a while and had forgotten. It kinda bothers me. It hits something in the trem cavity, so maybe lifting it up and lifting the neck up as well could be a solution?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 05:38 PM) *
With a light I can shine down the cavity and kinda see it. I do have problems with pulling up on the trem, I just remembered. I haven't used that Ibanez for a while and had forgotten. It kinda bothers me. It hits something in the trem cavity, so maybe lifting it up and lifting the neck up as well could be a solution?

If its hitting the trem. cavity then yes shimming the neck and rising the trem. should work. But it the block under the trem. (inside the body) is hitting something then I'm not so sure it will work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 06:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 06:46 PM) *
If its hitting the trem. cavity then yes shimming the neck and rising the trem. should work. But it the block under the trem. (inside the body) is hitting something then I'm not so sure it will work.

It's not the block, it's definitely the trem itself - like the trem cavity isn't deep enough. I'll probably look to fix it at some point, but for now I'm using the new 7 string I bought recently more. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 05:55 PM) *
It's not the block, it's definitely the trem itself - like the trem cavity isn't deep enough. I'll probably look to fix it at some point, but for now I'm using the new 7 string I bought recently more. smile.gif

Cool, its not something to rush anyway as such bigger setups for me I have to get into a mood so it won't feel annoying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 08:03 PM) *
Cool, its not something to rush anyway as such bigger setups for me I have to get into a mood so it won't feel annoying.

I absolutely agree, and given that I don't really use the guitar at the moment or need it, then it's fine - and the fact that I don't pull up on the trem THAT often, but it's literally only able to do 1/4 of a note at the moment in that direction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 08:56 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 07:36 PM) *
I absolutely agree, and given that I don't really use the guitar at the moment or need it, then it's fine - and the fact that I don't pull up on the trem THAT often, but it's literally only able to do 1/4 of a note at the moment in that direction.

Yeah thats very small, considering its the same trem. Vai uses with the right setup has an amazing potential for pulling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 09:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 08:56 PM) *
Yeah thats very small, considering its the same trem. Vai uses with the right setup has an amazing potential for pulling.

As said, it does sit very low in the body. However, my two other guitars (RG3570Z and RG3727) has Edge Zero's, and I actually think I prefer those over the Lo Pro, even if a lot of people feel the opposite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 08:48 PM) *
As said, it does sit very low in the body. However, my two other guitars (RG3570Z and RG3727) has Edge Zero's, and I actually think I prefer those over the Lo Pro, even if a lot of people feel the opposite.

I didn't spend a lot of time with those, and haven't played one for a while as don't visit stores as much as I used to since covid.

What I remember from the feel is they do feel very solid and I didn't get any discomfort from its design. It doesn't flutter which is why most doesn't prefer, that to be honest doesn't matter for me. The only thing I disliked was it needs a bit more strength to push or pull compared to the classic edge designs.

On the other hand, those classic edge designs maybe too sensitive to some. Like, it's so light when muting if you press too hard might influence tunning, also notoriously bad (worst among likely all floyd designs) for bluesy string bending as the trem. moves up so easily... and this has another flip side smile.gif Because the trem. is so sensitive, the strings feel a bit lighter when picking hard which is ideal for shred (but bad for sustain)...

So many factors that can make one floyd type trem. more ideal for a player than others, options are always good smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 12 2021, 10:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 11:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 10:29 PM) *
I didn't spend a lot of time with those, and haven't played one for a while as don't visit stores as much as I used to since covid.

What I remember from the feel is they do feel very solid and I didn't get any discomfort from its design. It doesn't flutter which is why most doesn't prefer, that to be honest doesn't matter for me. The only thing I disliked was it needs a bit more strength to push or pull compared to the classic edge designs.

On the other hand, those classic edge designs maybe too sensitive to some. Like, it's so light when muting if you press too hard might influence tunning, also notoriously bad (worst among likely all floyd designs) for bluesy string bending as the trem. moves up so easily... and this has another flip side smile.gif Because the trem. is so sensitive, the strings feel a bit lighter when picking hard which is ideal for shred (but bad for sustain)...

So many factors that can make one floyd type trem. more ideal for a player than others, options are always good smile.gif

You can actually remove some of the springs from the trem to make it flutter. I think it's the "zero point" springs? I can't remember the exact term. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 11:37 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 10:23 PM) *
You can actually remove some of the springs from the trem to make it flutter. I think it's the "zero point" springs? I can't remember the exact term. laugh.gif

It still won't flutter like a classic edge, classic floyd-rose's also don't flutter as easily.

Like; You gently tap the trem. arm with your index finger and it will flutter beautifully (considering the spring and knife-edge's are in good shape ofcourse), its ridiculously sensitive.

Here's petrucci banging the arm to get flutter right at the start of the video, with his old ibanez instead of hand as said only index finger is more than enough;

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 12 2021, 11:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 11:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 11:37 PM) *
It still won't flutter like a classic edge, classic floyd-rose's also don't flutter as easily.

Like; You gently tap the trem. arm with your index finger and it will flutter beautifully (considering the spring and knife-edge's are in good shape ofcourse), its ridiculously sensitive.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by fluttering. I.e. the sound like in the solo in Under a Glass Moon. I'm pretty sure I can reproduce that on the Edge Zero. I'll try and provide a video tomorrow, as I've got to get up pretty early tomorrow and gotta sleep soon.

Meanwhile here's a video where he talks about it at 4:15 or so and does (pretty bad job) of some flutter:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 11:47 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 12 2021, 10:42 PM) *

Not saying you can't cause you definitely can. But its much easier with some trem. designs than others.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 12 2021, 11:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 12 2021, 11:47 PM) *
Not saying you can't cause you definitely can. But its much easier with some trem. designs than others.

Oh, I'm sure it is. I've never considered it a problem on any guitar I've owned though, but maybe they've all been similar (Lo Pro, Edge Zero, Licensed Under Floyd Rose, Original Floyd Rose).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 12 2021, 11:57 PM
I kind of found an example, Jump to 45;

and jump to 48 on this one;

The second example has background music but shows only even reaching it is enough, while petrucci seems much "stiffer" at that moment.

...But aside the sound fx of flutter, this also shows how balanced and light-feeling an edge or lo-pro bridge can be. When doing Vai-like sensitive/micro movements they also shine.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 13 2021, 12:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:17 AM