New Humbuckers?
Kurt
Jul 17 2007, 06:22 PM
GMC:er
So I need a little help and suggestions what to do with my guitar:
I have the problem that my humbuckers are not useable sometimes.
Sometimes when I switch f. e. from neck to bridge pickup the guitar suddenly doesn´t make a noise anymore. I can´t get a tone out of my guitar when that happens. So I switch the amp and guitar on and off and on and off and after some time then I suddenly get a tone again out of it.
Now this happens very often at this time and it´s only horrible.
Beside that I don´t like very much my humbuckers. So is it worth to upgrade with new humbuckers? ( My guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Standard , about 425 Euros)
If I would upgrade it, which Humbuckers shall I buy?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
ZakkWylde
Jul 17 2007, 06:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
Stupid question: are your volume potis turned up?

If yes, maybe your guitar plug is broken or your Humbuckers batteries are empty (if they are active humbuckers)

New Humbuckers depend on what Style you want to play with your Les Paul- for example get yourself some emg 81/85 Humbuckers for Metal

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 17 2007, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (Kurt @ Jul 17 2007, 12:22 PM) *
Sometimes when I switch f. e. from neck to bridge pickup the guitar suddenly doesn´t make a noise anymore. I can´t get a tone out of my guitar when that happens. So I switch the amp and guitar on and off and on and off and after some time then I suddenly get a tone again out of it.
Beside that I don´t like very much my humbuckers. So is it worth to upgrade with new humbuckers? ( My guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Standard , about 425 Euros)

I have that same guitar and a similar problem. When i switch from neck to bridge it just loses all gain. I flip the switch back and forth really fast and it works. But still annoying. Can't wait till i get a new one though.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kurt
Jul 17 2007, 06:51 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 17 2007, 07:29 PM) *
Stupid question: are your volume potis turned up?

If yes, maybe your guitar plug is broken or your Humbuckers batteries are empty (if they are active humbuckers)

New Humbuckers depend on what Style you want to play with your Les Paul- for example get yourself some emg 81/85 Humbuckers for Metal

Hey, are you kidding me? Of course the potis are turned up and I also checked the batteries, it has nothing to do with that. Please read the comment fron icedern, then you know what I mean.
Only my problem is that this happens not only by switching, now it happens even while playing.
It´s horrible!

QUOTE (icedern @ Jul 17 2007, 07:30 PM) *
I have that same guitar and a similar problem. When i switch from neck to bridge it just loses all gain. I flip the switch back and forth really fast and it works. But still annoying. Can't wait till i get a new one though.

Are you buying a new guitar or humbucker?

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jul 17 2007, 06:56 PM
QUOTE (Kurt @ Jul 17 2007, 06:51 PM) *
Hey, are you kidding me? Of course the potis are turned up and I also checked the batteries, it has nothing to do with that. Please read the comment fron icedern, then you know what I mean.
Only my problem is that this happens not only by switching, now it happens even while playing.
It´s horrible!
Are you buying a new guitar or humbucker?

Zakk is only trying to help you troubleshoot the problem. He even referenced that he was asking a "Stupid Question." Let's please keep it cordial as we all get along quite well here and we'd like to keep it that way.

It sounds like you may have a short in the switch and the pickup may not be the source of the trouble. I'd take it to a guitar tech and have them look at it before you drop any serious money on a pickup or a new guitar.

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Jul 17 2007, 06:59 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 17 2007, 07:02 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Could be from a bad soldering

+Quote Post
Kurt
Jul 17 2007, 07:19 PM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jul 17 2007, 07:56 PM) *
Zakk is only trying to help you troubleshoot the problem. He even referenced that he was asking a "Stupid Question." Let's please keep it cordial as we all get along quite well here and we'd like to keep it that way.

It sounds like you may have a short in the switch and the pickup may not be the source of the trouble. I'd take it to a guitar tech and have them look at it before you drop any serious money on a pickup or a new guitar.

Don´t worry, I didn´t want to be unpolite to Zakk in any way! smile.gif I know that he only wanted to help me.
So I think you are right, I will at first take the guitar to my music-store and let the pros have a look.
Yes it could also be that the pick up isn´t even the problem. Soon I will know, thank you very much!

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jul 17 2007, 07:23 PM
QUOTE (Kurt @ Jul 17 2007, 07:19 PM) *
Don´t worry, I didn´t want to be unpolite to Zakk in any way! smile.gif I know that he only wanted to help me.
So I think you are right, I will at first take the guitar to my music-store and let the pros have a look.
Yes it could also be that the pick up isn´t even the problem. Soon I will know, thank you very much!

Cool! I know that kind of stuff is frustrating and I hope you make it out of it without dropping too much cash.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Rock
Jul 18 2007, 05:01 AM
QUOTE (Kurt @ Jul 17 2007, 06:22 PM) *

It could be that they used a cheap selector switch when building and/or there is a bad solder joint. If you bring it to a shop, you may want to think about them changing out that selector switch. You can also do it yourself, it's not that difficult. Switchcraft makes very good reliable switches and CTS makes decent tone and volume knobs.

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 19 2007, 08:13 AM
Sound to me like your Switch is worn out (or just cheap assed).

Before you spend any scrilla, try moving your switch the opposite way in the "trouble maker" position. Ex: (if you move it side to side to switch pickups, try wiggling it up and down in that position), and see if it crackles or does any suspicous. If it does you might be able to open the back plate, and bend the lead with a screw driver to make a better connection on the slider.

While you've got it open might as well give a visual inspection on your other connections too.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 19 2007, 10:07 AM
I think your problem might be that it is an Epiphone, and you get what you pay for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 19 2007, 02:54 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 19 2007, 10:07 AM) *
I think your problem might be that it is an Epiphone, and you get what you pay for.

Please don't trash my gear. I am not rich either.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 19 2007, 03:26 PM
@Sircraigery

Hey I am sorry if i offended you, didnt mean to trash your gear.

I think if they make cheaper copies of a guitar, then the guitar they are copying is definitely worth getting, so instead of getting an epiphone, i just kept saving and got myself a gibson. I would rather get the best i can get than just keep spending money on cheaper guitars. It isnt about being rich either, I am not rich. If you plan right its no problem.

Again I am sorry to sound like a prick about having a more expensive guitar than you, I like your guitar playing too from what i have seen of your youtube vids.

- Hemlok

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 19 2007, 03:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 20 2007, 01:51 AM
No it's ok man, I'm not offended. I just don't play enough to upgrade. My epi is better than my previous guitars and that's good enough for me biggrin.gif

The reason I got pissed is because I thought it was ignorant to say something like that when it had absolutely no merit in fixing bud's problem. I can see now that wasn't your intent so we're cool. I was just sticking up for Kurt mostly....all us LP player need to stick together on this site, we're a dying breed haha (thanks to the JEM)

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:46 AM