7 Modes Positions
David Wallimann
Apr 8 2009, 01:28 PM
Instructor
I was asked about the 3 note per string positions of the church modes and how they fit together.
Here are the diagrams in G!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by David Wallimann: Apr 8 2009, 01:28 PM

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Apr 8 2009, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Really cool and useful David! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Apr 8 2009, 04:35 PM
GMC:er
very useful, thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 8 2009, 04:51 PM
Very useful charts!! Thanks david!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 27 2009, 04:20 PM
Instructor
Anytime guys! :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 27 2009, 04:26 PM
I am learning those at the moment, I know Ionian Dorian Phrygian And Mixolydian. Next step. If theres a backing to solo over in for example A Mixolidian, which other modes can I use so I dont just get stuck to that one small box.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 27 2009, 04:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 27 2009, 11:26 AM) *
I am learning those at the moment, I know Ionian Dorian Phrygian And Mixolydian. Next step. If theres a backing to solo over in for example A Mixolidian, which other modes can I use so I dont just get stuck to that one small box.

Glad this is useful!
If you are playing over an A Mixolydian backing and don't want to be stuck in the same pattern, you can use the relative other modes to A Mixo.
In other words, you could use the following position because they all share the same notes:

A Mixolydian
B Aeolian
C# Locrian
D Ionian
E Dorian
F# Phrygian
G Lydian

Check out this video if you haven't seen it yet. It's long, but might help.
This is part of a tutorial I wrote a little while back:

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 27 2009, 04:51 PM
greatness! Letme grab my guitar:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 27 2009, 04:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Apr 27 2009, 04:42 PM) *
A Mixolydian
B Aeolian
C# Locrian
D Ionian
E Dorian
F# Phrygian
G Lydian

That was a nice video David. Just wanted to add that I think you meant G# Lydian as opposed to G natural . Obvious if someone's familar with the diatonic modes/major scale but thought that it may be confusing to others that don't know smile.gif

EDIT: forgot to mention - great diagrams of the 3nps modes. I remember when I learned these and got familiar with linking them together my playing/improvising took a giant leap forward. Really useful stuff

EDIT EDIT: IGNORE THIS - THIS IS ARTEMUS BEING STUPID!!! It's of course a G natural

This post has been edited by Artemus: Apr 27 2009, 05:11 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 27 2009, 04:55 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Artemus @ Apr 27 2009, 04:52 PM) *
That was a nice video David. Just wanted to add that I think you meant G# Lydian as opposed to G natural . Obvious if someone's familar with the diatonic modes/major scale but thought that it may be confusing to others that don't know smile.gif

Actually It would be G natural here, Mixolydian has a b7- so the 7th note would be one whole tone below the root note (which in this example is A) , in this case that would be G smile.gif

edited for clarity

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Apr 27 2009, 04:57 PM

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 27 2009, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 27 2009, 11:55 AM) *
Actually It would be G natural here, Mixolydian has a b7- so the 7th note would be one whole tone below the root note (which in this example is A) , in this case that would be G smile.gif

edited for clarity

Yep, it is G natural. :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 27 2009, 05:03 PM
The only thing that is confusing, is that when you break them up, they look different then the kind of patterns you've posted in the first post (which ive learned) Should I learn both, or just forget the first patterns and learn the new ones? Because I just remember the dorian as the second pattern that goes like this , if in G

E-7-8-10
B-7-8-10
G-5-7-9-
D-5-7-9-
A-5-7-9-
E- 5-7-8-

They' are the same patterns, but divided different, which confused me,

This post has been edited by Jesse: Apr 27 2009, 05:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 27 2009, 05:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 27 2009, 04:55 PM) *

edited for clarity

Oh boy! I never realised - I've learned something valuable there. Thanks for that smile.gif Apologies for my incompetence (feeling embarassed now). Looks like I need to brush up on my own theory tongue.gif
Actually - now I've thought about it - it is obviously a G natural *slaps forehead VERY VERY HARD*

This post has been edited by Artemus: Apr 27 2009, 05:08 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 27 2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 27 2009, 12:03 PM) *
The only thing that is confusing, is that when you break them up, they look different then the kind of patterns you've posted in the first post (which ive learned) Should I learn both, or just forget the first patterns and learn the new ones? Because I just remember the dorian as the second pattern that goes like this , if in G

E-7-8-10
B-7-8-10
G-5-7-9-
D-5-7-9-
A-5-7-9-
E- 5-7-8-

You're right, I used different fingerings in the video.
They are of course the same scales, but instead of organizing them with 3 notes per string, I wrote them so that they could fit a chord.
You eventually want to be comfortable with both shapes.
The 3 notes per string wil be great for faster shred type of stuff, the other shape can be a good way to sound a bit more melodic as these patterns are not as comfortable as the 3 notes per string which will force you to play a little differently.
Does that make sense?

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 27 2009, 05:10 PM
Certainly does! Im going to learn the regular locrian lydian pattern first, so I know all the 7 3nps patterns comfortably, and then (probably tommorow, because I need to know the "normal" ones good first) I'll study the new patterns!That video was a god's gift man, excellent timing:D

This post has been edited by Jesse: Apr 27 2009, 05:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 27 2009, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Cool!
Let me know if you need anything else!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:11 AM