Hey Andrew Got A Modes Question For Ya
slash85
Nov 29 2007, 09:09 AM
GMC:er
gday andrew ,

i been readin up on modes in a few mags and on the net and what not so i got ya few questions:

mate im lookin at the locrian mode right now for example ......C locrian to be exact..... now does the CAGED theory apply to modes coz im looking at this now http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...an&get2=Get .....ya with me?.......so when im lookin at the full fretboard i can isolate all the CAGED boxes of the major scale...........BUT.............if u look at this http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...p;get2=Get...or alternatively enter pattern 2 of the c locrian scale u will get the specific pattern which actually does not resemble one type of the CAGED rather a mixture of 2 or 3 boxes..........so my question is .......is the only real way to get a full grip on modes by learning all the notes on the fretboard?....coz to me i would have thought c locrian would have been one of the CAGED patterns in the key of C with its root note C but still in a CAGED pattern ......one thing i dont understand is keys of the scales and such.......i mean i thought whatever yur start point was on the E string was whatever key u were in eg, 5th fret is key of A........7th is B......so taking the pattern 2 locrian above for example..........is it the C locrian scale in the key of F#?.....of is it C locrian scale in the key of C because its root note is C even though the C is located on the A string?..........sorry if ive lost ya this is so confusing blink.gif ......so if the CAGED theory does exist with modes what am i lookin at with the pattern 2 C locrian?

cheers andrew yur help is greatly appreciated mate wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 29 2007, 01:07 PM
Moderation Policy Director
gday Slash!

You can apply CAGED to modes, but it is a little limiting. CAGED is a great way to get started on major scales and add chords to them. By the time you get to modes you need to develop a better understanding of the fretboard.

For every major scale (and their modes) there are actually 7 boxes you an use. CAGED simplifies this to 5, and the 1st Locrian box is one of the ones that that is not in the 5 (you will also be missing the furst Lydian if memory serves, but i could be wrong here). Just like the CAGED system though, each mode has a choice of boxes, so you should be able to find one you know somewhere in the CAGED system. By the time you get to modes though, you need to move beyond CAGED as it is ultimately limiting, and start understanding the fretboard as a whole, and break out of the boxes.

Regarding keys, you need to concentrate on the root note, not the first note on the E string. They will be the same for the first scale box only, after that, the root note will be elsewhere in the box, but it is the root note that determines the key of the scale.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
slash85
Dec 2 2007, 07:21 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 29 2007, 10:07 PM) *
gday Slash!

You can apply CAGED to modes, but it is a little limiting. CAGED is a great way to get started on major scales and add chords to them. By the time you get to modes you need to develop a better understanding of the fretboard.

For every major scale (and their modes) there are actually 7 boxes you an use. CAGED simplifies this to 5, and the 1st Locrian box is one of the ones that that is not in the 5 (you will also be missing the furst Lydian if memory serves, but i could be wrong here). Just like the CAGED system though, each mode has a choice of boxes, so you should be able to find one you know somewhere in the CAGED system. By the time you get to modes though, you need to move beyond CAGED as it is ultimately limiting, and start understanding the fretboard as a whole, and break out of the boxes.

Regarding keys, you need to concentrate on the root note, not the first note on the E string. They will be the same for the first scale box only, after that, the root note will be elsewhere in the box, but it is the root note that determines the key of the scale.

cheers andrew for the advice much appreciated i might have to improve me fretboard knowledge wink.gif

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:45 AM