> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Quenzoz's Poli-mentoring
Qenzoz
Nov 28 2012, 01:58 AM
GMC:er
I'll do the listening tomorrow morning as soon as I wake up! smile.gif
Had school this morning, but I realized one thing I just watched tonight, that was in the part with the wide vibrato, you use 3 fingers. I noticed I only used 1 and I could already feel a good different by using 3, no idea why I use 1, probably instinct, since the index finger fits perfect right there, but doesn't really have that good amount of strength to do that kind of wide vibrato. Also I try to like when I bend in the last part of the song to also try and bend the guitar downwards like you do. Seems to be helping a little, but I'll practice that song for a good amount tomorrow! smile.gif

So other than that I wanted to share some information with you, sadly that requires a bit of text, which I'm probably soon known for.. tongue.gif

Anyways. I made a post sometime ago, back in may, since it was right before I had to play live & somehow I can't find it at this very moment, weird, but I stated in that post that I have some anxiety issues, due to loosing my dad when I was 10 years old, and a lot of other problems related to that & you may wonder why this is even somewhat relevant information to you, but that is just because I'd like for you to know what some of my issues are when it comes to playing the guitar, that's more of a mind problem and not like guitar wise problem, which I think happens a lot of time like playing live, whilst recording. But for instance, whenever I record I try to remember my self to minimize Reaper before recording I usually forget it & the reason I want to minimize it, is because I tend to keep looking at it, and I loose focus, a lot when I sit and record I tend to think about other things than actually what I am currently doing, and whenever I try to really focus I over-focus (sounds weird, but I focus so hard that I make a ton of mistakes), I know that's not an excuse for anything due to my playing & that it probably happens to a ton of guys, and it somethings that comes with practice etc. I'd just like for you to know so maybe you'd have some good tips & tricks.
So this 'mentoring' thing isn't just for me to progress as a guitarist, which it is mainly & the reason I really want to do it, since I like playing the guitar. But it is really also for me to get out of my comfort zone, which may seem strange since it is my comfort zone, but for me, my comfort zone is kind of evil.. That's where I hide whenever I get anxious & can't feel like I can do anything. So also today I just did 4 improvisation records, and uploaded each one of them to Soundcloud and all I did before hand was listening to the original (in this instance Set the Peace by Ben Higgins) and then listen to the backing track then do 4 recordings right in a row, so you maybe could hear some progress and also get an idea of my improvisation skills, etc. And I know it is like torture for you ears but laugh.gif I need to progress tongue.gif, and another problem I have is also to 'congratulate' my self if I actually do something that sounds good, which is unlikely, but when it happens it should feel like winning the lottery, but even then I am like 'pffh.. not good enough'..

One last thing on this subject & that is I find this kind of funny somehow (this whole REC process), since I've always thought that I'm terrible at playing the guitar, but at one point I thought I was doing 'OK' for playing the time I had been playing at that time (1 year & 3-4 months) now being 1 month & almost 7 months I think. So then I recorded my own playing, and that was probably the best thing I could have done, since it was such a HUGE eye opener, I realized everything, my technique, rhythm & ear, was just plain terrible especially my rhythm.. Then I contacted you since I absolutely find your rhythmic lessons to be amazing & I really want to play that kind of style really well! 'Funk Metal Riff' 'Dancehall Metal Riffing', etc. Also made me realize it is time for technique to step down, but also due to my anxiety I've never really played with an amp on or anything, so I've never really practiced with distortion, so I apparently have a hard time to control the noise, etc. Starting to get better since I using guitar rig & I have a pair of headsets tongue.gif

So yes.. That was mainly it, except I have this to say about the improvisations I did over Set the Peace backing track (B Minor).

As I stated before, I listened to Ben's solo, listened to the backing track, and did 4 straight recordings, 1st went really bad, terrible note choice, there was something that was like OK, I think I had an OK idea what I was going with in the 2nd maybe you'll notice it when you hear it, but somewhat kind of funky kind of riffing/soloing over it. 3rd I was like 'THIS IS IT!'.. Of course it ain't tongue.gif, and 4th, better still I tried to do like some tremolo picking, I just couldn't get it to feel right when I tried to change strings and then the note choice was just, bleeh.. tongue.gif

You shall just press the link then you'll get to the site and there's the 4 improvisations.
http://soundcloud.com/tobias-poulsen/sets/...-improv/s-QCTuG
http://soundcloud.com/tobias-poulsen/sets/set-the-peace-improv/s-QCTuG

Thanks & keep on riffing! smile.gif

Tobias

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 1 2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! smile.gif Read everything through and through - no worries smile.gif

Slowing down will always help, in life, in playing and so on... Don't overburden yourself with thoughts and just enjoy playing what you like - you will notice that trying to play some things just for the sake of learning them/ becoming better, won't necessarily apply. It's ideal to find the things you like and find the things you need to learn within them wink.gif We can do that together and I am honored you chose me as a mentor for the soul as well smile.gif

Now, about the improv - I got a question - have you sung these lines in your head or just noodled around? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 1 2012, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 1 2012, 02:49 PM) *
Hey mate! smile.gif Read everything through and through - no worries smile.gif

Slowing down will always help, in life, in playing and so on... Don't overburden yourself with thoughts and just enjoy playing what you like - you will notice that trying to play some things just for the sake of learning them/ becoming better, won't necessarily apply. It's ideal to find the things you like and find the things you need to learn within them wink.gif We can do that together and I am honored you chose me as a mentor for the soul as well smile.gif

Now, about the improv - I got a question - have you sung these lines in your head or just noodled around? smile.gif

Just noodled around, I'll try and find another backing track and try where I'll play the phrases in hear in my head, not sure which backing track I'll use yet. I think I'll find a more funky/blues-rock, I have such a hard time controlling a lot gain, but my technique is also much more suitable for funk/blues-rock than metal (which is kind of sad, since I enjoy metal a bit more tongue.gif ).

And about Metal Metrics 4, I changed my picking hands angle, especially when I come to the palm muting phrase, seems to be a lot better (not sure if it sounds better, but it feels better smile.gif ) & I changed the way my fingers lay on the fret when I have to bend on the low E string, I use my finger tips now instead of the flat part, seems to be better, that was also the way I usually have my fingers when I bend on e.g. 15th fret B string, but it was just a bit weird at the start since it requires me to change my hands angle a bit, but I'm getting used to it & it seems to help smile.gif

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Hmmm - need a suggestion for a backing track? smile.gif I would love to give you some pointers and also, the bending and vibrato, hell yes, mate, with the finger tip and from the wrist smile.gif

Check this out:

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 2 2012, 09:46 PM
I'd be more than happy if you'd chose the backing track! biggrin.gif

Well, the way you bend/vibrato seems to be the way I do it too, it was just a bit different on the low e string & on such a low fret too, but I think I got it solved smile.gif

By the way I am also trying to get the song 'Days of Confusion - Meta' down, I just started yesterday, and I'll take it by part by part and then upload each part when I got them down to full speed and then later I'll combine it all and then over backing track, etc.

So I have this to look at so far then

Metal Metrics 4
Days of Confusion - Meta
Improvising/Composing over Backing track

I've decided not to work on a lot more, since I kind of want to get these down 'perfectly' to really develop my skills, especially the rhythmic part smile.gif, but if I should work on another lesson I had 'The Voice of Your Guitar' or 'Dancehall Metal Riffing' in my mind biggrin.gif

But if you have anything that you'd like for me to work on, feel free to say so.

I was also wondering is there anything special I should do to get my guitar playable in Drop C? Other string gauge and should I do some kind of adjustment on the guitar like the truss rod, or so? In case there would be any fret buzz?

And now a somewhat technique related question, since I am currently looking at your picking hand and you have all of your 3 fingers like pointing straight forward & I normally have my 3 fingers more less the same was Paul Gilbert does tucked back in to your hand, when I do point them out like yours it seems to change the angle of my pick, I was just wondering if it is something you do natural or something you've decided to do because of the sound/the way it feels? - Lesson I looked at was Dancehall Metal Riffing

And another thing I think I might 'wish' for that AMT SS20 pedal you have for Christmas!! biggrin.gif, and then save some money up for a PRS guitar thinking about that Baritone one to get a guitar for Drop A cool.gif

Cheers biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 3 2012, 09:48 AM
Instructor
Howdy mate!

My suggestion would be to keep:

Metal Metrics 4
Days of Confusion - Meta

for the moment and focus on getting these at top level! We can deal with improvisation later on, because indeed, when dividing your attention in too many directions, you will lose track and focus. For the drop C, the guitar should be set up for a greater string tension - I recommend 11-52 or11-54 as gauges. If you have a guitar tech, it is the fastest and easiest way to do it, otherwise - here's a very interesting thread dealing with this issue: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46949

About the picking hand - it's a matter of personal choice smile.gif try the position which suits you best. I'll take a look once you send me a video recording.

Let's see some action!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 4 2012, 03:05 AM
Awesome just going to order a pack of strings and get my guitar fit for Drop C! Sadly I don't have a guitar tech, but I want to learn how to do it by my self, so I guess that'll be fun smile.gif

But I'll get a recording up here in the next days, hopefully a video one! Just trying to figure out how to go about it, without too much trouble smile.gif

Also I am currently creating my own little website project, just started to build websites again. And what I am creating is this ear trainer program 'sort of' & I was wondering if you would be willing to check it out, when I have some of the first things up?

The first things there will be is like hearing interval differences, then I will add chords, scales, and then later chord progressions for people to check out, I think I have a good solid idea of how to make it effective so people can get some good ear training smile.gif, but then I could use some feedback & ideas to make it extremely effective! smile.gif

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2012, 09:44 AM
Instructor
Hey Tobias! Sure thing man smile.gif Please go ahead and show it to me and I can tell you my user experience with it. Take care with the strings and setup - it's important to set the instrument right and if you want, you can find a guitar tech in almost any music store I think. Just check it out first.

Looking forward to the program and the video recording and if there are more questions, go ahead and shoot them my way!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 5 2012, 05:47 PM
Hey again biggrin.gif

So I've just ordered 2 pair of 11-54 Ernie Ball Cobalt strings, never tried the Cobalt strings out before, so I thought this would be a fun way to test them smile.gif , so just waiting for it to arrive biggrin.gif, BTW do you use another brand than Ernie Ball? Seems to me that everyone uses Ernie Ball tongue.gif

Well I have a question for you, since you also sing & I was wondering what is the best way to start singing? (except actually to start singing) tongue.gif , since I've wanted to sing pretty much all the since I discovered Matthew Bellamy, Myles Kennedy & Richie Kotzen, also Paul Gilbert, since I liked the idea of also doing some good back-up vocals. But the problem I somewhat occurred for me, was that I couldn't find lessons on the internet like I could with the guitar, BAM search on Google and you have 3 million tabs to go at & also due to my anxiety I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable singing, but I'd just like to know if you had any advice for maybe starting out, so maybe I have some things to think about & then I could try and enter the danger zone, then record & hear my own voice and then kill my self, but that's another story tongue.gif
I also have this idea that guitar/singing support each other in a good way, since both of them will help each other out ear wise.

And I'll upload a recording of Metal Metrics 4 again very soon and then also one of Days of Confusion Meta, first part. Been slacking a lot lately, my sleep has gotten extremely turned around, I wake up at 3-4 in the night ATM laugh.gif

Cheers!

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 6 2012, 09:28 AM
Instructor
Hey Tobias!

I use Elixir strings - they are the original coated strings which every other string making company started producing, so that they may have their own coated strings tongue.gif

They are more expensive than the normal strings but hey, they also last 3-4 times longer wink.gif

Regarding singing - mate, I am not entirely comfortable with my voice either, even at this point - the first thing to do, would be to learn famous songs from the bands you like. The purpose is: imitate the nuances of the voice as best as you can and sing against the original recording. You will be amazed of what nice things you will discover. On the other hand, you are VERY right - the voice helps the guitar and the other way around too!

Looking forward for the vids wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 9 2012, 11:43 PM
'Eeeeey Cosmin! biggrin.gif

Yeah well I thought about trying Elixir, read on the forum a while backing that someone said they were awesome, maybe it was you, can't really remember. But these Cobalt strings are also slightly more expensive than the regular Nickel Wound, so that'll be interesting to see how long they'll last and also how they sound smile.gif

Mh, I just bought a How to Sing DVD, from some insane singer, to give me an idea, practicing vocal exercises are waaay different than practicing on the guitar xD, suddenly I have to sit / stand correctly and breath correctly... laugh.gif but let's see if it is something I can get my self to practice and also to see if I even like it laugh.gif

Okay, so another thing. I haven't really been practicing at all. I thought that I had figured it out & I had to a certain degree, just having fun, well as it turned out I didn't even practice at all and I just played the same old things over again and didn't get any better, probably even worse, so I told my self yesterday when I was about to go to bed (08-12-2012) tomorrow I'll make a practice routine & I'll stick to it, so I was thinking 20m of that 20m of that, bleh blah bluh tongue.gif... So today I was like lets get practicing as it turns out I think I might have figured out how to actually make practicing somewhat sort of fun, well not so much fun, but more like doesn't feel boring and doesn't seem to take forever.

And also I was wondering if I could post my daily practice log in this thread? That way I could just keep it all at once, and you could also look at it now and then.

Okay, so this post is pretty long, no need to read it all, just some details and notes about each exercise I try and tackle & such, some details about how I practice, etc & no I didn't get a video this time either... I made my self a note to make sure I find my webcam and set it up tomorrow... tongue.gif

Also the post should be pretty read-able also section wise so you can just find the more `interesting´ things if there even are any laugh.gif

Details wise there will be notes just for my self to remember for next time, sound wise which guitar I used/config on the amp, etc & also if you can give me any tips on achieving better tone, that would be awesome! smile.gif

SoundCloud link is at the bottom! smile.gif

And you'll probably notice I added another lesson 'Steve Lukather Soloing Style' by Jonathan Burgos

How I Practice
I use Reaper with a VST plug-in (Guitar Rig, AmpliTube, Pod Farm - what it might be).
Then I set it so that the sound only comes out of the right speaker.
Then I also use Guitar Pro, I set the tempo of the song to 100 no matter what song it is.
Then I press (F9) to set some options about how to play it. Then i'll set it up like this e.g.

Metal Metrics 4 original tempo 120 & as stated I set tempo to 100 BPM, what I do now, in the (F9) options.
I set from 50% to 100% step 2% repeat 2x (under speed trainer) & Repeat the Countdown is enabled.
And the reason my tempo is set to 100 BPM is because it is just much easier math wise wink.gif
then this is my `warm up´, after I've done this I go to next part in the song then after I've done my first practice, I'll go back.
Then I'll set it from 100% to 120% step 2% repeat 2x, maybe even step 1% - all depends on what I feel

I set it different from time to time but this is just an idea of what I'll usually (well not usually just started to do it exactly like this today, but I've done something very similiar before).
Also I'll enable metronome & countdown in the settings & make sure that the guitar in Guitar Pro i'll set that sound only come out of the left speaker.

Most importantly I stomp my foot to the beat!!

09-12-2012 (Sunday) - 3 Hours & 16 Minutes of practice

1 Recording(S) / Finale Notes for todays practice..

Metal Metrics 4
I hope that it sounds better. Since it's almost impossible for it to sound worse than it did previously laugh.gif, I know that there are still things missing here and there, but as long as I am improving then I'm on the right track to awesomeness cool.gif tongue.gif

Take 1 - I recorded it at 0.00 db then before rendering the file I set the guitar to 3.43 db, seems to fit more.
Take 2 - I recorded it at 3.43 db I felt that I needed a bit more `loudness´ when RECing
Take 3 - I actually did this one twice, since the first take 3 I accidentally deleted again or something like that by pressing CTRL+Z laugh.gif anyways I had the db at 1.18

Days of Confusion - Meta
I learned this a week back or so (just remembering the patteren) but first practiced it today.
The reason why the metronome apparently can't be heard in the background, is because I think I forgot to make it so it would be saved under the REC, but I played over it at tempo 146.

Steve Lukather Soloing Style
I just learned the part 1 today and I know there are a lot of things missing out here and there, some vibrato etc, didn't even play over metronome or anything, but this was just to show how far I've gotten with 25 minutes of practicing Part 1

Metal Metrics 4 - Part 2 & 3
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-Metrics-4/

Guitar: ESP LTD EC-1000
Pick-Ups: Active EMG 81 (Bridge) & 60 (Neck) Pick ups
Pick-Up Config. Used: The one pointing down-wards (Bridge I think, not quite sure)

Guitar Tuning: Drop D
Guitar Sound: Used AmpliTube3 Metal

Pre Model: Metal Lead V
EQ Model: Metal Lead V
AMP Model: 100W 6L6V

Gain: 5.8
Bass: 4.4
Middle: 4.4
Treble: 5.9
Bottom: 5.0
Spring Reverb: 0.0
Volume: 4.7

Noise Gate: Off (-100.0dB)

25 Minutes 50BPM-60BPM,
15 Minutes 60-100 BPM,
8 Minutes 100-120 BPM
48 Minutes Total

Trying to get more control over distorted guitar - noticed some kind of harmonics happening when muting on the G5 power chord
QUOTE ("Tab")
----------------------------|-------------------------------|
-----------------------5----|-----5-----5-----3--3--------|
-----------------------5----|-----5-----5-----3--3--------|
-----------------------5----|-----5-----5-----3--3--0----|

Also when ending on the Dsus2 chord, I use my middle finger to mute the E & A string

I find the vibrato to be the hardest thing in this part. To get that perfect and each time, seems to be pretty hard...

Metal Metrics 4 - Part 4

Guitar Settings same as previously.

28 Minutes 50-100 BPM
9 Minutes 100-120 BPM
37 Minutes Total

Noticed everytime when I stopped playing the phrase and waited for the metronome to countdown to play it again,
I always ended with an harmonic & that annoyed the heck out of me, since I didn't really notice that before since I just played the whole lesson, but again same problem happened before on the muting on the G5 power chord.
So what I did now was that I figured out a few solutions to it, one was with the left hand, if I just took my finger off the fret,
it would pause it (which I used to do) but due to the amount of gain/distortion it would most likely also create an harmonic, which is extremely annoying.
Except it actually gave me an idea how to make some `fun´ riffs involing harmonics, but that's another thing laugh.gif .
So I figured out that if I just used the other fingers middle & ring maybe even pinky and just put them over the 4/5 fret that would stop it in a good way but I also at the same time take the index finger off.
Then I could also use my right hand, and just put that over the bridge pick up and that would also stop the sound.

QUOTE ("Tab")
----------------------------|
--3------------------------|
-----5--5--5--5--3--3--3|

Metal Metrics 4 - Part 5

Guitar Settings same as previously.

10 Minutes 50-Uknown BPM, apparently had to help my mom and forgot to pause Guitar Pro laugh.gif
23 Minutes 66-100 BPM
10 Minutes 100-120 BPM
43 Minutes Total

Well haven't noticed anything I haven't noticed before,
so still haven't a hard time getting those harmonics `perfect´ but the hardest parts (IMO) is the bends.

Days of Confusion - Meta - Part 2
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Days-Of-Confusion-Meta/

Everything guitar wise is the same except the tone

Gain: 4.1
Bass: 5.1
Middle: 2.0
Treble: 5.0
Bottom: 5.0
Spring Reverb: 1.9

35 Minutes 50-120 BPM
8 Minutes 120-146 BPM
43 Minutes

Steve Lukather Soloing Style - Part 1
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Steve-...-Soloing-Style/

Guitar: Fender Road Worn 50's Stratocaster
Pick-Ups: 3x Tex-Mex Single Coil
Pick-Up Config. Used: The one pointing up wards (neck I think)

Guitar Tuning: E stanard

Gain: 10
Bass: 5.1
Middle: 2.0
Treble: 4.9
Bottom: 5.1
Spring Reverb: 2.9

25 Minutes 61-123 BPM

Ear Training
Diatonic Intervals (UP)
08-12-2012 57/100
09-12-2012 Forgot...

Hearing Notes (C-D-E)
08-12-2012 56/100
09-12-2012 68/100

If you're wondering what this is, you'll know when I have a bit more done on my ear training project for my website smile.gif, but I started doing this yesterday (08-12-2012)

Cheers!

Tobias

https://soundcloud.com/tobias-poulsen/sets/practice-for-09-12-2012/s-zSDlx

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2012, 09:48 AM
Instructor
Hey Tobias! Dude this is extensive tongue.gif Indeed, the vibrato in Metal metrics 4 is the whole deal and flavor of the lesson while tightness and timing were also important, in Meta as well.

Now before anything else... I seem to have a problem accessing the link with the recording... Trust me, listening to something is the most important thing so let's hear the recording biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 13 2012, 07:10 PM
Are you sure you can't listen to it?
https://soundcloud.com/tobias-poulsen/sets/...-for-09-12-2012

I've set it to private like the others but made it so you can access it with your through your account.

Also here is a YouTube video, yes a video! tongue.gif , but it is clean and no backing track, since I was just trying to get some recording done, but I a problem occurred when you listen to it you'll notice some cracks/pop sounds here and there, and they're REALLY REALLY frustrating when recording, it only happens when I am video recing and also sound recing, probably too much usage for my PC?

But I think I have the distorted recording + backing on my PC I just need to synchronize it up with the video, I hate that part tongue.gif, any tips on how to do it?

And since it had those pops & cracks I didn't want to sit and mess with that like 5 hours or how much time that'll take me laugh.gif , so I thought maybe this could be somewhat useful for you even though it is clean, you might see some finger/wrist position/angle that might need a tiny change, here & there.

If you have any advice on how I should be position towards the camera, for you to get a better view and also if you have any tips on getting an better image (lightning wise, etc) that would be much appreciated! smile.gif

Also I'm in Drop C, wuuhuu biggrin.gif

P.S sorry for making the camera all jumpy, but its due to a good reason! smile.gif stomping my left foot laugh.gif

- Practicing info in bottom..

QUOTE ("Practicing log 10-13 December 2012")
Very bad 4 days, not a lot sleep which gives me headaches and also makes it so I can't really focus and can't be arsed to even play the guitar at all, really annoying, currently I am working hard on fixing it but I have tomorrow (14th December, Friday) off till and including Monday (17th December), so that means it is practicing time! I am fixing my sleep in a weird way by actually going to bed when I get home from school and waking up in the middle of the night, only way to make my self actually get some good days, if I have to go to bed like a normal person and wake up around 7 a.m. then I wont have slept out and then I'll still be extremely tired when I get home and then I wont play any guitar either (due to my anxiety and such I use more or less all of my energy when I am in school and 7 hours of being mass focused makes my brain really tired), but since my time got messed around and I actually got it turned so much around I had for a few days to do it like a normal person, some meetings here and there, then that resulted in no sleep - but I'll get back on track and really focus on practicing this weekend!! smile.gif

10-12-2012 (Monday)
No practicing, bad day - not a lot of sleep & a major headache....

11-12-2012 (Tuesday)
Got some singing practice done, still had a good amount of headache / not a lot of sleep again.

Singing
Got a better understanding of Diaphragmatic breathing & the AH vowel - exercise.

12-12-2012 (Wednesday)
No practicing again....... Almost didn't get any sleep, again again.

13-12-2012 (Thursday)
No practicing again mad.gif due to sleep issues, argh!!

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 17 2012, 12:24 PM
Instructor
Howdy Tobias!

The vid looks good and everything is clear and understandable wink.gif Although in order to get things really good, I will ask you to re-record with a metronome on biggrin.gif Deal? I think you got everything pretty much under control, but you should widen the vibrato a bit more wink.gif

Now, for syncing the vids with the sound - your cam will record the sound as well and you can superimpose the sound in Vegas with the vid and the sound from the camera. Once the audio recording matches the timing of the sound from the video one, things should be good. How were you thinking to do it? smile.gif

For the audio takes - I think you have everything pretty much under control - a bit more carefulness on those bends and on the timing in the Lukather take smile.gif That one needs more work on the timing dude!

So! What else have you got for me? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Mar 17 2013, 09:08 PM
Long time!

I'm back!

As you know I got the flue with some lung infection.

Besides that, my mom got cancer (2nd time in 5 years), but positively nothing that can't be held down!

But now! At school I've been put in a band, and suddenly I started to enjoy playing guitar again! smile.gif haven't been playing this much for a while, I even enjoy practicing all the things I thought was boring before biggrin.gif

Anyways, currently I am just practcing/rehearsing the songs for the band, only 4-5 songs so far. I don't choose any of the songs, which is kind of nice in some way and good I suppose, it's not my style at all, but I definitely get to learn something out of the ordinary!

But what I am practicing is a lick for a solo for one of the songs. 'Hey You' by Pink Floyd, I had to get a fast lick in there, since the original solo is just so boring, and then also another pentatonic lick for another song just the usual going 3 down and then 1 back up and 2 down again, etc.

I'm also practicing a song for my own joy biggrin.gif, I'm Alright by Neil Zaza. Also Neil Zaza is one of the reasons I started to enjoy playing guitar again, I got a DVD with him 50 melodic rock licks and some of the minor details I just learned from him explaining just made my playing sound so different, now I really dig into the notes and I use the pick-up switch. My muting is a lot better I also play with an amp all the time, so I got a much better control over distortion, etc!

So I'll get a video up of that one when I have it a bit better down, those string skipping arpeggios are still pretty hard to get down tongue.gif

Other than that I am practicing your usual techniques (Legato, AP & Sweeping), for now I'll just keep it simple nothing crossing over all the strings and doing with patterns just something simple so my hands can get up to a good speed and then later focus on all the weird Govan licks laugh.gif

I've gone a bit away from the metal, I'm much more into the melodic definitely Neil Zaza's music is really awesome! So I am planning to learn a few of hes tunes smile.gif, and then just whatever I get put into school-band wise! smile.gif

Now I noticed something today when I practicing legato, my pinky seems to just fly 8 meters back whenever I do a pull off or just lift it off, is this something that automatically goes away with a lot of practice? Is it something that can affect my speed developing in the future? And if it is something I need to work on, how do I go about the problem? smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Rock on!

P.S. sorry if my text seems confusing, I'm kind of slammed ATM, got some intense tooth pain! The fun never stops around here laugh.gif

EDIT: Forgot to mention! You're more than welcome to choose a nice lesson for me! Or I could start and work on that Metal Metrics again, I almost should get it down, worked a bit on it tongue.gif , let me know what you think! But if you want to choose a lesson it would be really awesome with an good rhythm lesson, since I think that working on Neil Zaza's songs will give me all of the melodicness I need for now cool.gif

This post has been edited by Qenzoz: Mar 17 2013, 09:13 PM

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 18 2013, 12:03 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif I got something for ya:

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Mar 25 2013, 05:48 PM
Warning: Sorry for the massive wall of text, just wanted to tell you some of the latest information, and hopefully you'll also think it's a good idea, if you even can understand what I am trying to say.. Really tired and have a good amount of headache, just have to last a few more hours then I can sleep for 12 hours and get rested and go to the studio and hopefully get all the guitar parts down for Hey You by Pink Floyd! smile.gif

'Ey! biggrin.gif, looks like I've been doing it right! biggrin.gif, wuuhuu!

But I think I am going to drop the technique exercises, and just really work on getting songs down I have to play with the band I am in, as you know 'Hey You', I really want to be able to get a good take and play the whole song without making bad mistakes, minor unnoticeable mistakes to the normal person's ear is okay, I hope you know what I mean!

I have a hard time approaching this, since I have isolated each part of Hey You can play to the metronome at the original tempo - then of course I try and play over the backing track then I lose focus at times and then it just goes horribly wrong, of course some songs are easier, Panama by Van Halen would probably be easier for me since it just makes me bang my head and go like 'hell yeah!! cool.gif', where as a song as Hey You makes me go like 'when is something happening??? zzz tongue.gif'

Then after isolating each part I still needed to isolate the transition from e.g. chorus to bridge, forgot about that, so many things!

But I have a line 6 pod ux2, I just find it that it does something wrong.. It's like after I've recored with that I go like.. There is something missing, the whole thing just feels wrong, nothing really seems in time even though at sometimes it might be, but it just has this weird voodoo feeling, so I tried to record with my iPhone and it felt a lot better, and when I listened to it and I heard an mistake I could go like 'oh yeah, that's right I made that mistake there', but with the Line 6 UX2 it just felt so weird and at some points I was pretty sure I hit the right on the beat and such.. So I guess I have to record with my iPhone, terrible quality and my Webcam makes scratching noises, so maybe I can find some sort of microphone and set it up like that, not sure if I can combine it with my Shure SM57 microphone and attach that to my awesome Roland Cube 15 amp laugh.gif .

Anyways!! I was wondering can you give me some tips on how to approach a song, how to play good live.. E.g. I listen to Paul Gilbert playing Technical Difficulties live, sure he makes mistakes and all that, but it's not like I notice them, and it all sounds good and it doesn't sound like hes falling out of it, maybe he does at points but not so much that I notice it.

But is it also a matter of rehearsing the song with the band a lot, just play it over and over, or?

Just wondering if you have any tips and hopefully have gotten an idea of where I am going, this was one of the reasons I haven't really played that much for 6 months, since I thought I really sucked since I couldn't do this, and now I just tried to avoid it by practice all that non-sense shredding stuff, which I can't do yet, and will probably first end up doing in a good amount of months if I practice efficiently.. But I just need to get a good control of this, and when I am really good at this and can go in the studio and maybe even do a first take and be like, yeah that was good! Play a cover of a song all the way through and say yeah that was pretty good, solid rhythm, minor mistakes here and there but nothing major, etc. Then I can start to focus on the non-sense tongue.gif

So yeah no more running from the demons, better stand down and fight the hard & annoying battle, that'll really give me great results in the end! (Hopefully laugh.gif)

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers & have a nice day!

Tobias

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 18 2013, 12:03 PM) *
Hey buddy smile.gif I got something for ya:

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2013, 12:03 PM
Instructor
Hey Tobias, there's a movie coming your way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Mar 26 2013, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2013, 12:03 PM) *
Hey Tobias, there's a movie coming your way smile.gif

Okay! smile.gif

I was in the studio today working on getting a good sound, and tried out for the solo.. I really tend to tense up when I have to record! And then everything gets so stiff, and when I really made my self relaxed and just listened to the drums & bass I actually got a pretty OK take for the rhythm guitar underneath the lead guitar. But I am mostly just really anxious and tense, especially playing lead! Seems to really frustrate me and then I over focus and bend too high, play too fast and all that beep laugh.gif

But it's like there is so much to work on and I just can't find a place to start. Imagine being trapped under a ton of rocks and just can't find the one rock to start removing, even though I should probably just move any rock and just get out of there!

Also if I decide to work on my technique it's like I can only work on that then I can't apparently find time for anything else, and if I want to work on the chord shifting in Hey You, I only work on that and do that for 1 hour and then I am bored and then I feel like I can't work on anything else since I suck too much since I can't get that down, there are some bad habits I need to break, but I also don't feel like having a dedicated practice routine, but I could probably use a semi-dedicated just like a good layout or something like that of things that I should practice through my day and maybe you have some ideas for this...

Anyways! I am looking forward to the movie tongue.gif, and I should probably get an recording done and also so you'd have a good idea of what horribleness you're working with laugh.gif

Cheers & thanks in advance! smile.gif

P.S. Sorry for all the text again, just loads of frustration arriving and I really want to work through it and hopefully not quit/stop playing the guitar for another long period of time!

Tobias

Edit:
I just gave it a thought about that practice routine and I think that I maybe have gotten a good idea, if you can help me to make a list of good things to work on then maybe I could say that I should work on each thing everyday but for MAXIMUM 30 minutes each, so instead of it being a minimum and having to make sure and gets stressed about that I might not make all of the things and it not being so I just sit for 1 hour and get totally tired I make sure it is just max 30 minutes and 15 minutes would be okay, I just have to make sure work on each thing everyday. Maybe that'll give me some space in my head, but I often I get worried that I am not doing it right, and I know that's stupid since I should just play the damn guitar all the time and not think so much about everything (the more you think the more stink tongue.gif)..

But then I should maybe take the songs I work on, some for the band and some of my own choice (for the real fun!) and maybe an GMC lesson or so, just so I don't get bored but a good mix of everything - something I am going to play live and some is just for fun and my own enjoyment and then maybe some could be for the REC program here at GMC (maybe?)

Maybe it could look a bit like this

GMC lessons:
Super Hard Rock - Part 1

And once I got part 1 down I can move to part 2, since else I can easily go like this lesson has 10 parts now 30 minutes each (max), then it becomes a lot

Own things:
I'm Alright by Neil Zaza - theme music

Could maybe be more than one song, but just an example or more than one part of that particular awesome song! smile.gif

Band
Hey You Chorus, Bridge & Chorus to Bridge chord isolation (MAX 15 minutes - because just changing between 2 chords is extremely boring and things like this can make my mind go bleeh tongue.gif) & solo

And here I have added more things but that's because I have to go in the studio and then maybe I could set solo to max 1 hour, or maybe break it up and say solo max 30 minutes but working on getting good bends for the solo for max 30 minutes. That way I am just isolating the bends and making sure they get good smile.gif

Anyways, that's just an idea, please let me know what you think of this - but for me it's a lot like now I have to work 6 hours on this particular piece and nobody does that since that is just so boring especially just changing between 2 chords, you can maybe do it the first two days but after that it just gets too boring! And I also think that if I get my patience under control I can progress a lot with just 30 minutes, even though it doesn't seem like a lot, 30 minutes passes fast, but the next day when my brain is rested it'll be easier, but that's hard to tell my self when I don't feel like I can play it better after just practicing it for 30 minutes then I say to my self I should go for 6 hours, but I still wont feel a good difference till the next day.

So as you can see! Loads of questions, frustrations and all that - but I like this idea and I bet you have some great tips.

Thanks again,
Tobias

This post has been edited by Qenzoz: Mar 26 2013, 04:10 PM

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2013, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Here it iiis biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:32 PM