2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gallop :o
Murloc
Jun 25 2009, 01:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey there!

I was wondering how long it usually takes to be able to gallop. Will it just be able to do it after a while just like that or do I need to do special exercises? I have played about one and a half month and I frustrated cuz I cant master some of the difficulty 3 lessons only cuz of the gallops sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jun 25 2009, 02:47 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi Murloc

Galloping, like any other technique needs to be practiced. And just like any other technique you have to start slow. Just keep doing it slow, carry the guitar arround with you, it doesn´t need to be anything musical, just practice the "ta tarara tarara taraa" on the low E string and gradually increase the speed as you feel comfortable. Eventually you´l be able to do fast short bursts, and with time you can gallop all the way to china wink.gif Your muscles just need time to remember the movement and it will become second nature when that happens

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by DaniHel: Jun 25 2009, 02:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Jun 25 2009, 03:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DaniHel @ Jun 25 2009, 02:47 AM) *
Hi Murloc

Galloping, like any other technique needs to be practiced. And just like any other technique you have to start slow. Just keep doing it slow, carry the guitar arround with you, it doesn´t need to be anything musical, just practice the "ta tarara tarara taraa" on the low E string and gradually increase the speed as you feel comfortable. Eventually you´l be able to do fast short bursts, and with time you can gallop all the way to china wink.gif Your muscles just need time to remember the movement and it will become second nature when that happens

yes my Friend!! very good!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
coloneldrew
Jun 25 2009, 04:23 AM
GMC:er
Focused practice is more efficient than non-focused practice (playing while watching TV ect). As it said in an article somebody posted here recently. As DaniHel explained you want to really pay attention to the picking here as the most difficult part is mixing the first longer note with the three short notes. Just make sure you're efficiently playing it slow, at first, then gradually getting faster as you progress. There's no need to rush it.

Check out this article on practicing: Practicing and Current Brain Research

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 25 2009, 09:47 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
As I recall the first month of playing back in 1990 it was mostly about trying to play Smoke on the water without stopping to watch the strings all the time, some pentatonic scale practice with lots of errors, trying to understand why the B string was "half a note off".
Galloping came much later since it involved an uneven pattern which was hard to master at first.

At least it was for me, I played all downstrokes the first time, then some random alternate picking before I practiced the alternate picking hard to get it relearned right. Then there was palm muting which came pretty naturally for me.

- Power chords
- String muting, palm muting
- Alternate picking

konwing these might be a good foundation for you before you hit galopping

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 25 2009, 11:42 AM
Instructor
One thing that you should pay attention when doing gallop
is picking movements, it's not Alternate Picking
cause you would put accents on "wrong" notes
or even lose accents in total.
Instead of Alternate go for down, down-up-down, down-up-down, down-up-down etc.
Bold downstrokes will come on each beat and those are like 8th notes,
rest of the notes and 16th are they are located in 2nd half of each beat.
8th note + 2 x 16th notes = quarter note. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 25 2009, 12:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, thats the most important thing, pay attention to your picking and play to a metronome.

+Quote Post
Murloc
Jun 25 2009, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for all the replies!
So I will never learn to gallop if I just continue trying to learn lesson, practice with the metrone etc? I have to do special gallop training?

+Quote Post
Murloc
Jun 25 2009, 08:31 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Jun 25 2009, 08:56 PM) *
i dont think you'd need a metronome for learning a technique like galloping. bah like ive said... ive never used a metronome in my life i just dont see why peeps need them since the metronome should be in the head.

If Kristofer Dahl was here now he would scold you big time laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jun 25 2009, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Jun 25 2009, 07:56 PM) *
i dont think you'd need a metronome for learning a technique like galloping. bah like ive said... ive never used a metronome in my life i just dont see why peeps need them since the metronome should be in the head.

Blasphemy

Hmmm.. ok, please count a 5/8 in 163 bpm and record it for me lol only using your head and vocal chords

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jun 25 2009, 08:40 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Some drummers are as accurate or!! even more accurate than a metronome. Just depends on how strongly the sense of rhythm was growth in the persons early years of life. Still for most people metronome is a very helpful device.

DaniHel - what's the point of 5/8 in 163 bpm? He will be able to play 5/8 in any speed after he gets in the groove, but that most probably won't be a metronome groove, but a groove that the drummer/bass player or both produce.

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Jun 25 2009, 08:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Farmer
Jun 25 2009, 10:15 PM
He he I cant remember when i mastered the gallop, but i remember doing some slow kind of gallop and creating my own melodies with them(maybe because i didnt have the ability to play what i wanted laugh.gif )

But one of the first songs i ever got really good were Iron Maiden songs, so maybe trying too learn some maiden related stuff will help, as it has alot of galloping.

You could also check out Iced Earths song "something wicked this way comes" man I was a proud boy when I got that riff down cool.gif

Other than that i guess you just have to be patient and practise, practise, and practise smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 25 2009, 11:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Murloc @ Jun 25 2009, 08:42 PM) *
Thanks for all the replies!
So I will never learn to gallop if I just continue trying to learn lesson, practice with the metrone etc? I have to do special gallop training?

I would play few Maiden albums and knock myself along the tracks. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Murloc
Jun 26 2009, 01:48 AM
Learning Roadie
fortunately, I am a big maiden fan laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 26 2009, 03:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (DaniHel @ Jun 25 2009, 09:38 PM) *
Blasphemy

Hmmm.. ok, please count a 5/8 in 163 bpm and record it for me lol only using your head and vocal chords

Not really THAT difficult, if you ask me. Once you know the groove of 5/8, you can, if you know your tempos as well...get withing 5 bpms of that, my geuss would be.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kapto
Jun 26 2009, 08:46 AM
Or check out
Motorbreath intro by Metallica from "Kill'em all" album

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jun 26 2009, 09:04 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 26 2009, 03:09 AM) *
Not really THAT difficult, if you ask me. Once you know the groove of 5/8, you can, if you know your tempos as well...get withing 5 bpms of that, my geuss would be.

You can tap your foot to something like 147.34 bpm...? sleep.gif No previous reference like actually hearing that tempo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 26 2009, 10:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Murloc @ Jun 26 2009, 02:48 AM) *
fortunately, I am a big maiden fan laugh.gif

There you go. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 26 2009, 01:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Murloc @ Jun 25 2009, 08:42 PM) *
I have to do special gallop training?

Definitely! smile.gif You have to do special training for every technique that you do if you want to play it comfortably, and this special training involves taking a metronome and practicing slowly and precisely. Just be patient it will come in time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Jun 26 2009, 01:34 PM
I remember trying to gallop like it was yesterday (1986). All I wanted to do was learn to gallop when I got my first guitar. I was nuts over Iron Maiden songs like Trooper, Run to the Hills, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner - all good galloping songs. I was so frustrated about not being able to gallop, I spent at least a month trying to get it. With the help offered here and some patience, it will soon come.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:13 PM