2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Kemper Has Landed!
Grappa
Jan 9 2017, 09:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi all,

Pushed the button on a KPA recently and finally got to have a play with it this weekend.

Got to say I'm very impressed so far. I quickly profiled my Ecstacy for a test and the thing sounded and felt pretty much identical!

I've never really used 'digital' amp sims before (other than trying out a VST for recording stuff for my GMC submissions) and was more than a little bit apprehensive but this thing really does seem to live up to the hype. Still got lots of testing to do but I get the feeling that dragging heavy amps around will largely become a thing of the past for me although I'll never sell any of them!

Despite having a great rig, the challenges of having no setup time, no stage space and having to often deal with less than helpful engineers had left me somewhat despondent when it came to getting decent sound at gigs and I think the KPA will be a big step forward here. Not only does it sound/feel authentic as an amp but the effects are sweet (and getting better) and I reckon that I'll get by with getting rid of most of my up-front pedals and the stuff I usually run in the loop. Add to that the performance options for building set lists and the fact that I'm not tied to a single amp make this thing killer for me.

The new digital world beckons me forward..

Regards,

Si

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 9 2017, 10:20 AM
GMC:er
Congrats! I was amazed when members here posted sound files from their Kemper's, so GMC has 3-4 Kemper owners now? you guys should make a topic for yourselves smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 9 2017, 07:15 PM
GMC Founder
Congrats man!

I haven't bought a single pedal since I got my kemper. Now I can buy more guitars instead!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2017, 11:29 PM
Instructor
Congratulations mate! I have to confess that I've dreamed for many years with this device. I hate the fact that it's so expensive in my country.

I hope to be able to get one any time. Enjoy it!! I'm sure that it's like heaven for guitarists. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 10 2017, 06:32 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 9 2017, 10:29 PM) *
I have to confess that I've dreamed for many years with this device. I hate the fact that it's so expensive in my country.

Check out the Fractal AX8. In some ways it's even better than the Kemper, but the price is much lower.

The sound quality on a Kemper is as good as an AxeFXII or AX8, but for about the same price as a Kemper, the AxeFXII has many more features. The AX8 has similar features to the Kemper, but a much lower price. I used to enthusiastically recommend Kemper, but IMHO the competition has passed them by in the past couple of years.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 10 2017, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jan 10 2017, 05:32 PM) *
Check out the Fractal AX8. In some ways it's even better than the Kemper, but the price is much lower.

The sound quality on a Kemper is as good as an AxeFXII or AX8, but for about the same price as a Kemper, the AxeFXII has many more features. The AX8 has similar features to the Kemper, but a much lower price. I used to enthusiastically recommend Kemper, but IMHO the competition has passed them by in the past couple of years.

To be fair Kemper further developed the unit, the first demo's weren't so close to the sampled sound as it is today. Also nowadays Kemper users started demanding multi-amp samplings from 3rd party developers, in theory this should be acheveable by the current device.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 11 2017, 08:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the posts..

I managed to fire it up through a PA today for a couple a couple of hours at decent volume.

Once I had loaded a couple of the M Britt profiles I knew I'd made the right decision for me..

I've been lucky enough to build up a great amp collection over the years but lets just say that I think my days of lugging the heavy stuff around are over.

The sound/feel is pretty amazing let alone all of the other stuff it can do. As for convenience.....well..

Regards,

Si

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 12 2017, 12:53 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jan 10 2017, 06:32 PM) *

This is always an interesting discussion. How can a unit that pretty much flawlessly sounds and behaves like any amp+cabinet in the world - through patented technique - get surpassed by competition?

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 10 2017, 07:06 PM) *
To be fair Kemper further developed the unit, the first demo's weren't so close to the sampled sound as it is today. Also nowadays Kemper users started demanding multi-amp samplings from 3rd party developers, in theory this should be acheveable by the current device.

I think we agree - but I still need to point out that even in the beginning of Kemper history, it took a very experienced studio guitarist to feel the difference - because hearing was virtually impossible.

With the tweaks Kemper have done now it is not really possible to even feel the difference anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 12 2017, 03:37 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 12 2017, 11:53 AM) *
This is always an interesting discussion. How can a unit that pretty much flawlessly sounds and behaves like any amp+cabinet in the world - through patented technique - get surpassed by competition?

I agree that a Kemper sounds great. I was delighted with the sound when I owned one. But sounding great is not enough any more.

Fractal and Line 6 Helix and Kemper are all in the same class when it comes to amp sound quality. IMHO anybody who tells you they prefer the sound (or feel) of one over the other is just reacting to the way a preset is tweaked differently in one vs. the other. It's the features peripheral to the sound that distinguish these competitors from one another. Things like USB output, a preset editor app, flexible module routing, extensive control from pedals, dual amps, effects variety and quality, accurate modeling of amp controls. These are all features that, even Chris Kemper would admit, are better in the competition.

The marketplace has changed since the Kemper was initially released, with new products from the competition coming out. That doesn't change the fact that a Kemper sounds great. It just means the price of a Kemper is becoming increasingly difficult to justify.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 12 2017, 04:02 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jan 12 2017, 03:37 PM) *
I agree that a Kemper sounds great. I was delighted with the sound when I owned one. But sounding great is not enough any more.

Fractal and Line 6 Helix and Kemper are all in the same class when it comes to amp sound quality. IMHO anybody who tells you they prefer the sound (or feel) of one over the other is just reacting to the way a preset is tweaked differently in one vs. the other. It's the features peripheral to the sound that distinguish these competitors from one another. Things like USB output, a preset editor app, flexible module routing, extensive control from pedals, dual amps, effects variety and quality, accurate modeling of amp controls. These are all features that, even Chris Kemper would admit, are better in the competition.

The marketplace has changed since the Kemper was initially released, with new products from the competition coming out. That doesn't change the fact that a Kemper sounds great. It just means the price of a Kemper is becoming increasingly difficult to justify.

So you are saying it's a fact that most people prefer advanced routing (etc) instead of owning any-amp-in-the-world-in-one-box?

You might have missed the explosive growth of Kemper, which would indicate the exact opposite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 12 2017, 04:45 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I think you're getting into the issue of whether profiling is better than having 250 accurate amp models plus tone matching/IR loading. There are pros and cons to the two approaches, but at the end of the day the result for the guitarist is quite similar. It's close enough that for most people it doesn't serve to distinguish one product from the other. That doesn't mean there aren't some people out there who prefer one approach to the other, but it's impossible to argue that one approach is objectively better than the other.

However, the features I mentioned are objectively different. And in the marketplace you are usually justified in having a higher price when you include features, not when you exclude them smile.gif.

I'm not privy to Kemper's sales figures, but I think it's safe to say they have enjoyed similar growth to their competitors. And I think it's safe to say they are currently feeling more pressure on their prices than their competitors.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 15 2017, 04:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 9 2017, 09:20 AM) *
so GMC has 3-4 Kemper owners now? you guys should make a topic for yourselves smile.gif

this would be awesome smile.gif I totally need tips on adjusting profiles, I never really know what to tweak rolleyes.gif
it would be interesting to know what profiles people tend to favour as well and how they organise the profiles. Im thinking it might be best to just delete all the stock ones off the unit.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 16 2017, 06:44 PM
Learning Roadie
I backed up the profiles and then removed everything from the unit to start fresh.

I'm currently running some of Guido's XTC merged profiles as a starting point (given its my day to day amp) and intend to build out from there. I bought it for live use mostly.

It's very deep and the new delay stuff (and a beta preleased today) it's just going to get stronger and stronger. Heck it pretty much already does everything I need so anything new is a bonus. I kid you not I fired up a Crybaby wah preset last night and it's better than my original - no tone suck and no noise - sounded mega.

The big decision for me know is wether I should go FRFR for my back line...

If you wanna tweak amp sounds the definition is the starting point for me..

Si

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 15 2017, 03:34 PM) *
this would be awesome smile.gif I totally need tips on adjusting profiles, I never really know what to tweak rolleyes.gif
it would be interesting to know what profiles people tend to favour as well and how they organise the profiles. Im thinking it might be best to just delete all the stock ones off the unit.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 16 2017, 07:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Grappa @ Jan 16 2017, 05:44 PM) *
I backed up the profiles and then removed everything from the unit to start fresh.

I think Im going to do that as well. Sounds like a good approach.
Ive been using Guidos Marshall JayTea set and some of the MBritt samples. I saw the XTC Merged set on Guidos site, Im not 100% sure what the deal is with a merged profile, I read that they are more for if you are playing through a cab ( a real cab ) rather than straight into a daw, dunno if thats accurate.

I'll have a look at the 'definition' setting, thanks. Theres a couple of profiles I have that sound just a little 'harsh' maybe, but Im sure a little tweak will tame them biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 16 2017, 07:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Merged just means that the amp/mic part of the profile is 'real' rather than modelled which happens on a standard studio profile if you disable the cab part of the stack. Merged/direct profiles allow the 'cabs' to be swapped if going onto full range cabs or it turned off if going into guitar cabs. Merged just gives most flexibility.

Dialling down definition takes out a bit if harshness.

Can I ask how you are running it? Are you going into monitors or guitar cabs and which outputs are you using?

Regards,

Si

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 16 2017, 06:17 PM) *
I think Im going to do that as well. Sounds like a good approach.
Ive been using Guidos Marshall JayTea set and some of the MBritt samples. I saw the XTC Merged set on Guidos site, Im not 100% sure what the deal is with a merged profile, I read that they are more for if you are playing through a cab ( a real cab ) rather than straight into a daw, dunno if thats accurate.

I'll have a look at the 'definition' setting, thanks. Theres a couple of profiles I have that sound just a little 'harsh' maybe, but Im sure a little tweak will tame them biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Grappa: Jan 16 2017, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 16 2017, 08:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Grappa @ Jan 16 2017, 06:38 PM) *
Can I ask how you are running it? Are you going into monitors or guitar cabs and which outputs are you using?

for now Im just using the SPDIF > scarlett audio interface > DAW and just using headphones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 16 2017, 08:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool smile.gif

You might want to check out the Space and Pure Cabinet settings in that case if you're not using them already!

Regards,

Simon

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 16 2017, 07:09 PM) *
for now Im just using the SPDIF > scarlett audio interface > DAW and just using headphones.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 16 2017, 08:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Grappa @ Jan 16 2017, 07:17 PM) *
Cool smile.gif

You might want to check out the Space and Pure Cabinet settings in that case if you're not using them already!

Regards,

Simon

not used the pure cabinet, I'll give that a try thanks. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 16 2017, 09:44 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 16 2017, 08:42 PM) *
not used the pure cabinet, I'll give that a try thanks. smile.gif

Pure cabinet is especially useful for taming profiles done by less experienced profilers. I found turning it up and the browsing the Rig Exchange can give you endless possibilities.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2017, 05:48 AM
Super congrats!! smile.gif New gear day is always a good day smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:11 AM