2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Should I Choose?, Between these two or other similar that you might know
Daniel Realpe
Mar 2 2010, 10:20 PM
Instructor
These are two great options that I have encountered:

JSX

Dual rectifier

I would like an amp to play stuff in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony x, Children of Bodom, Steve Vai,

Between the two which one would you consider is the best option for this, or maybe you know of other one that you would recommend?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 2 2010, 10:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
Between this two, I would have go for the MESA, since I trust more in their craftmanship than Peavey. I also find Peaveys a little "heartless", eg. there is no core in the tone in the same way as in MESA, Marshalls and Fenders....
But thats just personal, I guess. Other suggestions would be to have one built for You, made on the specs that You specify - or to have a stock amp modified. I guess most of the top players have their own amp-tech's that are doin custom stuff on their gear.

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
shatterd
Mar 2 2010, 11:15 PM
GMC:er
The Peavey JSX is a really nice amp with a signature tone all its own. Probably one of my favorites. However, for the music you mention I'd recommend a Mesa Dual Rect. or Mesa Mark IV or Mark V. The JSX is probably a little more versatile because you could get some vintage Marshall like tones on the crunch channel, as well as some good cleans, and fairly heavy modern sounds on the ultra channel. I'd say the JSX could get closer to Vai than the Mesa, but the Mesa will get ya closer to Dream Theater and the others you mention.

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2010, 02:38 AM
Instructor
I would choose Recto over JSX anytime. However, I believe that the cab is very important, so I would spent the same, if not more amount of thought on that problem. Speakers are the final tone link, not the head.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 3 2010, 03:17 AM
Instructor
Do you really need an amp Daniel?
I mean an amp as an amp, power, loudness on stage, heavy weight for carrying around etc.
If not that you should strongly consider an AxeFx, Standard or Ultra, doesn't matter,
both would work just fine for what you looking for.

I use my Ultra for gigs all the time, I go straight into mixer/PA
and I get some of the signal back in on-stage monitor,
just like you would do if you were keyboard player.
Of course you can always bring your own monitor on stage if you like
but if there's a monitor already than imo there's no need to,
unless you really have some great FRFR monitor that you can't live without. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 3 2010, 05:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 2 2010, 10:30 PM) *
Between this two, I would have go for the MESA, since I trust more in their craftmanship than Peavey. I also find Peaveys a little "heartless", eg. there is no core in the tone in the same way as in MESA, Marshalls and Fenders....
But thats just personal, I guess. Other suggestions would be to have one built for You, made on the specs that You specify - or to have a stock amp modified. I guess most of the top players have their own amp-tech's that are doin custom stuff on their gear.

//Staffay

thank you staffay, I will take that into account

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 3 2010, 04:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Daniel,

If you're in the market for an amp then check out the Mark V from Mesa, mine is very versatile and can achieve all the sounds you have mentioned and a lot more besides! Obviosly there is a lot of "Tweaking" involved but the tones are amazingly good!
Just a tip though, unless you're built like an ox avoid the combo, mine weighs a ton! blink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 3 2010, 06:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
Don't buy any of them without trying them beforehand! They sound extremely diffrent!

The Peavey might be a Joe Satriani signature amp but it packs an insane amount of gain and is used by a lot of Extreme Metal bands aswell as melodic players. I personally don't like the Rectifiers, they are tight and heavy sounding but they are lacking mids (even if you dial them in) so they are hard to hear in a band context as they don't cut through the mix very well...

Here are some other amps that suit your needs and bands who play them:

Peavey JSX/6505/5150/3120
Trivium, In Flames, Dragonfore, Soulfly, Bullet For My Vallentine, Machine Head, Joe Satriani, Black Ston Cherry, Rusty Cooley

Engl Fireball/Powerball,/Savage/Special Edition:
Megadeth, Nevermore, Children Of Bodom, Steve Morse, Judas Priest, Orianthi, MARTY FRIEDMAN, Vinnie Moore

Mesa Boogie Rectifiers/ Mark Series:
Carlos Santana, Lamb Of God, Alter Bridge, Dream Theater, Metallica

Marshall JVM 410/210, JCM800:
Zakk Wylde, Iron Maiden, Trivium, Mastodon, Children of Bodom, Slayer, Hatebreed, Yngwie Malmsteen

The possibilites are endless in the highgain tube amp sector so don't limit yourself to just those two, travel to a big store that has all those amps and try them out!!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Mar 3 2010, 06:40 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 3 2010, 08:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 3 2010, 06:29 PM) *
Don't buy any of them without trying them beforehand! They sound extremely diffrent!

The Peavey might be a Joe Satriani signature amp but it packs an insane amount of gain and is used by a lot of Extreme Metal bands aswell as melodic players. I personally don't like the Rectifiers, they are tight and heavy sounding but they are lacking mids (even if you dial them in) so they are hard to hear in a band context as they don't cut through the mix very well...

Here are some other amps that suit your needs and bands who play them:

Peavey JSX/6505/5150/3120
Trivium, In Flames, Dragonfore, Soulfly, Bullet For My Vallentine, Machine Head, Joe Satriani, Black Ston Cherry, Rusty Cooley

Engl Fireball/Powerball,/Savage/Special Edition:
Megadeth, Nevermore, Children Of Bodom, Steve Morse, Judas Priest, Orianthi, MARTY FRIEDMAN, Vinnie Moore

Mesa Boogie Rectifiers/ Mark Series:
Carlos Santana, Lamb Of God, Alter Bridge, Dream Theater, Metallica

Marshall JVM 410/210, JCM800:
Zakk Wylde, Iron Maiden, Trivium, Mastodon, Children of Bodom, Slayer, Hatebreed, Yngwie Malmsteen

The possibilites are endless in the highgain tube amp sector so don't limit yourself to just those two, travel to a big store that has all those amps and try them out!!

thanks a lot for the accurate suggestions Zakk,

problem is, I have order the amp from the US since there are no dealers from those brands over here and if they bring them, they bring them extremely expensive like 15% more than original price,

but I'll see what I can do tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2010, 09:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Mar 3 2010, 08:45 PM) *
thanks a lot for the accurate suggestions Zakk,

problem is, I have order the amp from the US since there are no dealers from those brands over here and if they bring them, they bring them extremely expensive like 15% more than original price,

but I'll see what I can do tongue.gif

Only 15%? Consider yourself lucky man, used dual recto head (only!) can reach 2500e here, old model! Brand new is 2000$ on the web anywhere so... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DickyB25
Mar 3 2010, 09:22 PM
Look out for the new rectifiers for 2010 if your goin to buy one. here's some details
New Improvements / Features:

Patented Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power – Allows you to assign either 2 or 4 Power Tubes to each Channel for Power Ratings of 50 or 100 Watts of Class A/B Power via independent 50/100 Watt Power Select Switches. The Triple Rectifier allows you to do the same however with either 2 or all 6 Power Tubes for Power Ratings of 50 or 150 Watts per channel via independent 50/150 Watt Power Select Switches.

Patented Channel Assignable Dual Rectification with Recto Tracking – Allows you to assign either Tube Rectification or Silicon Diode Rectification to each Channel to fine tune the feel and character of each Channel.

New Footswitchable, Tube-Driven SERIES FX Loop – Vastly improved performance and tone with Multi-Effects than Parallel Loop - Exceptionally transparent in preserving your tone while being easier to use with any type of effects. The original Rectifiers featured a Series Loop.

New Tuner Output with Footswitchable Tuner Mute

New Compact Footswitch - New 3x3 Stacked, 6 Button Footswitch – Top Row = Mute, FX Loop & Solo, Bottom Row = Channel 1, 2 & 3

Improved Clean & Pushed Modes (Channel 1):

Clean Mode features improved headroom for amazing clarity and the most sparkling bell-tone cleans ever from a Recto, even with hotter humbuckers.

Pushed Mode features tighter, more focused and percussive low end with an amazing range of gain from Overdrive textures to full-on ripping Crunch.

Improved Channel Cloning on Channels 2 & 3 - Raw, Vintage and Modern modes have been further optimized for more similar performance on either channels

Improved Presence Control on Vintage Mode - Provides better high-end balance and control between Vintage and Modern Modes

No Price Increase - All this for the same price as the current 3 Channel version

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 3 2010, 10:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DickyB25 @ Mar 3 2010, 09:22 PM) *
Look out for the new rectifiers for 2010 if your goin to buy one. here's some details
New Improvements / Features:

Patented Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power – Allows you to assign either 2 or 4 Power Tubes to each Channel for Power Ratings of 50 or 100 Watts of Class A/B Power via independent 50/100 Watt Power Select Switches. The Triple Rectifier allows you to do the same however with either 2 or all 6 Power Tubes for Power Ratings of 50 or 150 Watts per channel via independent 50/150 Watt Power Select Switches.

Patented Channel Assignable Dual Rectification with Recto Tracking – Allows you to assign either Tube Rectification or Silicon Diode Rectification to each Channel to fine tune the feel and character of each Channel.

New Footswitchable, Tube-Driven SERIES FX Loop – Vastly improved performance and tone with Multi-Effects than Parallel Loop - Exceptionally transparent in preserving your tone while being easier to use with any type of effects. The original Rectifiers featured a Series Loop.

New Tuner Output with Footswitchable Tuner Mute

New Compact Footswitch - New 3x3 Stacked, 6 Button Footswitch – Top Row = Mute, FX Loop & Solo, Bottom Row = Channel 1, 2 & 3

Improved Clean & Pushed Modes (Channel 1):

Clean Mode features improved headroom for amazing clarity and the most sparkling bell-tone cleans ever from a Recto, even with hotter humbuckers.

Pushed Mode features tighter, more focused and percussive low end with an amazing range of gain from Overdrive textures to full-on ripping Crunch.

Improved Channel Cloning on Channels 2 & 3 - Raw, Vintage and Modern modes have been further optimized for more similar performance on either channels

Improved Presence Control on Vintage Mode - Provides better high-end balance and control between Vintage and Modern Modes

No Price Increase - All this for the same price as the current 3 Channel version

wow man, neat!

I was also considering buying the pre amp version, either the Triaxis, or Recto version? I know this might have been discussed already as I 've been seeing in other forums but I would like to know your input on these options

These would be great because they offer the direct recording output and also the size makes them easily transportable for gigs. But I want to know if that would really sacrifice something in the end, or is the tone actually there still?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2010, 11:16 PM
Instructor
Man, I don't like metal amps that much, but that Dual Recto is definitely catching my eye, those are monster specs smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 3 2010, 11:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 10 2010, 01:32 AM
Instructor
so you would recommend using pedals instead Ivan?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 10 2010, 09:45 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Mar 10 2010, 01:32 AM) *

My guess would be that the use of pedals vs. amp gain is more of a question of genre.

What I mean, Daniel: don`t you play quite a lot of metal/progressive stuff? At least I prefer the main gain/tone to come from the amp it self, while Ivan: don`T you play a little more funk/blues/rock? In those cases, I as well like to experiment a bit with different pedals.

I`m mostly saying this because I have yet to find a good metal pedal, but the blackstar ht-series pedals sounds quite convincing

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 10 2010, 03:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Mar 10 2010, 12:32 AM) *

Ivan does love his stomps! laugh.gif He is the european gearmanndude!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 10 2010, 05:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
There is no pedal that sounds better than a good amp's own distortion!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 10 2010, 06:33 PM
i agree with zakk on this one,

i do not like rectifiers at all and im a huge mesa fan! i would chose the JSX because it has a great sound and great versatility. but if you decided to go with the Mark series, thats a completely different story, and I would sell my soul to the devil for a Mark V

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Mar 10 2010, 07:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I would go for the rectifier just because I totally love the sound it gives.... I don't really know about the JSX tho since I have never tried one....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 10 2010, 07:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 10 2010, 05:57 PM) *
There is no pedal that sounds better than a good amp's own distortion!

+1 I'm definitely agree to this Zakk, even that its possible to boost the gain a little bit and still get nearly the same tone as playing so loud that "Your grandma will wake from her sleep".....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:05 PM