Advanced Bushido Task 6
Ben Higgins
Mar 8 2012, 05:01 PM
Instructor
Warriors of the Axe... gather round ! ph34r.gif

Task 6 : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Thrash-Like-Mustaine/

Am I evil ? Yes I am ph34r.gif

Continuing with the theme of rhythm playing I thought it was time I rewarded you with one of the Sensei's own creations !

Enjoy smile.gif

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cem
Mar 11 2012, 03:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here it is. 100BPM.

http://soundcloud.com/cengiz-kaygusuz/thrashlikenoob

Stuff that is bugging me:

* What do you guys think about the tone? I hesitated a lot and eventually just picked one preset and played. Too gainey? Too noisy?

* About the lick which starts at D string 5th fret.. I can't properly mute the A string no matter what I've tried. It only sounds clean by slightly lifting my ring finger while touching to the string.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 11 2012, 04:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Mar 11 2012, 02:27 PM) *
Here it is. 100BPM.

http://soundcloud.com/cengiz-kaygusuz/thrashlikenoob

Stuff that is bugging me:

* What do you guys think about the tone? I hesitated a lot and eventually just picked one preset and played. Too gainey? Too noisy?

* About the lick which starts at D string 5th fret.. I can't properly mute the A string no matter what I've tried. It only sounds clean by slightly lifting my ring finger while touching to the string.

Hey Cem, the tone is a bit too fizzy really. It doesn't allow you to get that chug !

The lick itself sounds ok the way you are playing it so you've probably solved your own problem. Those licks are difficult to play cleanly. The one thing that is letting you down is timing, you're playing significantly in front of the beat during those pull off licks.. so if you can bring those back into time you'll have a much better performance smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Mar 11 2012, 07:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 11 2012, 03:14 PM) *
Hey Cem, the tone is a bit too fizzy really. It doesn't allow you to get that chug !

The lick itself sounds ok the way you are playing it so you've probably solved your own problem. Those licks are difficult to play cleanly. The one thing that is letting you down is timing, you're playing significantly in front of the beat during those pull off licks.. so if you can bring those back into time you'll have a much better performance smile.gif

In reality I haven't solved the problem. All I can say is guitar rig's noise gates are doing a good job, it sounds very dirty on my actual amp.
Generally, legato licks are always a problem for me. Most prime example I can think of is your Land of Legato series, I can't just play without making noise on other than high-E string. Help me Ben, you are my only hope sad.gif .

This post has been edited by Cem: Mar 11 2012, 07:09 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 11 2012, 08:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Mar 11 2012, 06:08 PM) *
In reality I haven't solved the problem. All I can say is guitar rig's noise gates are doing a good job, it sounds very dirty on my actual amp.
Generally, legato licks are always a problem for me. Most prime example I can think of is your Land of Legato series, I can't just play without making noise on other than high-E string. Help me Ben, you are my only hope sad.gif .

Well, with legato, try to approach it like this:

Always think of your fingertips coming down on to the frets, not across them. If you don't make this distinction then a lot of the time you can be fretting notes with the underside of your finger, you know the pad part ? That takes up more space and so you're more likely to hit unwanted strings and make unwanted noise.

I think it was Eddie Van Halen who said he played as if his fingertips were the feet of a ballerina, just the toes dancing over the frets. This will mean you need to arch your fingers more instead of keeping them flat.

So, try thinking 'down' not 'across'.

Also, your right hand plays a big part with muting strings as well. Try to make sure it is covering the strings closely so it can mute strings once they're no longer needed. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Desaiha
Mar 14 2012, 09:53 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 8 2012, 05:01 PM) *
Warriors of the Axe... gather round ! ph34r.gif

Task 6 : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Thrash-Like-Mustaine/

Am I evil ? Yes I am ph34r.gif

Continuing with the theme of rhythm playing I thought it was time I rewarded you with one of the Sensei's own creations !

Enjoy smile.gif

Attached Image

I envy the peace between your pinky and ring finger Ben. both of my fingers are like two cheetas but when working togheter its like the other cheeta is trying to ride the other ones back. You can picture that in your heard and see how much progress they will make catching an antelope that way laugh.gif
That lick in the middle is great practice for this purpose, but I'm struggling with it!

This post has been edited by Marcus Desaiha: Mar 14 2012, 09:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 15 2012, 12:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Desaiha @ Mar 14 2012, 08:53 PM) *
I envy the peace between your pinky and ring finger Ben. both of my fingers are like two cheetas but when working togheter its like the other cheeta is trying to ride the other ones back. You can picture that in your heard and see how much progress they will make catching an antelope that way laugh.gif
That lick in the middle is great practice for this purpose, but I'm struggling with it!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. The relationship between ring and pinky fingers is one that people struggle with. I also think it's one of the main contributors to people struggling with poor hand synchronisation. They are notriously hard to control, especially when using them one after the other ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 15 2012, 07:27 PM
Instructor
Just an update for the Advanced Threads... I'm going to put the Advanced Tasks on hold as they're not really getting any action at the moment as, quite rightly so, a few of you are taking time off from the guitar and I'd like to save all my ideas until you're all back and ready to rock again !

The Intermediate Threads will still offer a challenge to those who are able and interested so don't worry, there's always plenty to be doing ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 16 2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oops, I was hoping to see a new challenge.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 16 2012, 10:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Mar 16 2012, 03:02 AM) *
Oops, I was hoping to see a new challenge.

Well, we're going through a rhythm phase at the moment and I know you said you're more interested in working on lead so I'll hold off from putting up new Tasks as nobody's going to do them ! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:27 AM