> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 88 89 90 91 92 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Jan 15 2019, 03:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Sorry Gab,

I confused you I think, I meant I'll work on the barre chords too, that you originally gave me wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2019, 02:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 15 2019, 11:43 AM) *
Sorry Gab,

I confused you I think, I meant I'll work on the barre chords too, that you originally gave me wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

Totally clear mate! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2019, 08:48 PM
I'll post a video once I've got the triads down, they take longer to get into your fingers than scales etc, well, they do with me anyway wink.gif

Didn't get much time this evening, it's that time of year when car insurance has to be sorted out GRRRRRRRRRR! It always amazes me when the cost of renewal is more than if you cancel and take out a new policy with the same company!!!!!! I never give them a second chance, you call them and tell them you want to cancel, they ask why, you say you've got it cheaper elsewhere so they say "Let us try to match it", I always say, "No, you should have done that in the first place, just cancel it!" tongue.gif

Cheers buddy.

Phil

UPDATE:
Before I go too far, are these fingerings okay? I got told off once for using the "wrong" fingerings on a chord so thought I should ask.

https://youtu.be/vxxnTrlAm2k

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 16 2019, 09:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2019, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

The notes are right but I would try a different fingering for the second shape. What about using finger 2 on 4th string, 1 on 3rd and 3 on 2nd?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2019, 09:32 PM
Thanks Gab,
Yeah that seems better, I've modified my GP file to remind me wink.gif When I go told off, my teacher at the time gave me some homework, I had to learn a chord progression, it started with E major open and the rest was barre chords based on the E shape. To make it easier I played the open E using the same fingers that I used to create the E shape barre chord (pinky, ring and middle), then all I had to do was move up the neck and add my index finger to create the barre. He wasn't very happy mad.gif laugh.gif He said "That's NOT how I showed you to play the open E, we'll leave it for this week and do something else and you can go home after the lesson and DO IT PROPERLY" ooops biggrin.gif

How's this Gab? Hopefully I'll get to strumming pretty soon.

https://youtu.be/QYx3ZM9x81w

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2019, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Your playing is great in the video mate! It's time to play this over the backing tracks and try some rhythms!

Well done mate!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 18 2019, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 18 2019, 01:38 PM) *
Well done mate!! smile.gif

Thanks Gab,

What did I do to warrant a "well done mate!!"? I'm happy you said it but I didn't think I'd done very much really.

I need to get my changes more fluid before I start trying to play along with the backing so I will work on that and get back to you.

Cheers buddy and thanks for the kind comments.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 19 2019, 09:23 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2019, 03:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 18 2019, 05:56 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

What did I do to warrant a "well done mate!!"? I'm happy you said it but I didn't think I'd done very much really.

You are now playing the right shapes, with the right fingers and all the notes sound clean and clear. That's why I'm saying, "well done". You are doing it well mate! smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2019, 06:07 PM
Ah I see, it's a word thing, "well done" and "done well" can mean different things in English, if someone is learning something, "well done" can mean that the examiner wasn't expecting the result the student got, ie, above and beyond expectations. I wasn't being pedantic mate, it's just the dynamics of the English language, "well played" is probably a good option wink.gif I should have just taken the compliment, sorry buddy, your English is so good I sometimes forget your native tongue is Spanish rolleyes.gif

It was the funeral for our next door neighbour today, it was hard seeing his wife and two lads so upset but we'll be there for them.

I'll put a video up as soon as I can land on each triad without fumbling, the backing is too quick for my current level so I can't change quick enough, unless you have any suggestions. What' I'm currently doing, which is helping, is playing one strum with each diad in the GP5 file, then when I can easily to that, I increase the speed by 5% and do it again. It is how I've always trained my hands for chords, back in the day it was just with a metronome but it does seem to work and stops you "walking the chord".

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 22 2019, 08:29 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2019, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2019, 02:07 PM) *
Ah I see, it's a word thing, "well done" and "done well" can mean different things in English, if someone is learning something, "well done" can mean that the examiner wasn't expecting the result the student got, ie, above and beyond expectations. I wasn't being pedantic mate, it's just the dynamics of the English language, "well played" is probably a good option wink.gif I should have just taken the compliment, sorry buddy, your English is so good I sometimes forget your native tongue is Spanish rolleyes.gif

Cool! Thanks a lot for clarifying! This really helps me to polish my English so feel free to always correct me when I'm not precise with my comments! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2019, 02:07 PM) *
I'll put a video up as soon as I can land on each triad without fumbling, the backing is too quick for my current level so I can't change quick enough, unless you have any suggestions. What' I'm currently doing, which is helping, is playing one strum with each diad in the GP5 file, then when I can easily to that, I increase the speed by 5% and do it again. It is how I've always trained my hands for chords, back in the day it was just with a metronome but it does seem to work and stops you "walking the chord".

Excellent! Go for it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2019, 09:43 PM
Thanks Gab,

"Well done" is also used as a sarcastic put down, like if someone spills a drink, people will say "Oh well done!" wink.gif

I wish I hadn't said anything because I think it's the addition of "mate" and " smile.gif " that makes it seem like you are getting more than you expected from me. In THIS comment, Darius says "well done" at the end with no emoji and it makes it seem like he's just saying, "you did well". Honestly, the idiosyncrasies of language can be lost in the written word where there is no facial expression to see. I won't be so sensitive in future but I will tell you if you don't mind, if something is blatantly incorrect or easily misconstrued, just for your own development. To be honest Gab, your English is better than a lot of natives wink.gif

With the triads, I went from 20% speed on the GP5 up to 50% tonight, I was fumbling a little at 50% though, getting there slowly wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE January 23rd:
I tried experimenting with the first backing track tonight, it's tricky trying to listen to the chord changes and also play the 4 diads with some kind of rhythm. I'll try to record something tomorrow.

Apart from open chords, E shape barre chords and power chords I've pretty much neglected chords so I'm practically a complete beginner with these. I'm still playing the arpeggio shapes over the backing but they seem a bit limiting at the moment so I keep coming up with the same old things. I have a bit of a pentatonic jam over a YouTube video to keep my mind thinking wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 24 2019, 11:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2019, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Everything sounds great! Always feel free to give me feedback about my English! GMC forum makes me practice a lot, but I not as good when speaking, I have to practice.

Regarding your practice, I'll wait for a new video and then I'll give you new tasks. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2019, 09:44 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm definitely getting better at the chords but when trying rhythm my brain can't cope at the moment.

When I was having a jam tonight using the arpeggios I noticed something I haven't noticed before. Is something wrong?

If I play the C on the low E string anywhere on the backing I get this horrible droning noise.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-horror

I would expect something similar on the C7 section due to the root note, but not as bad and, also I'm getting it in the G7 section.

UPDATE: My mistake, I was playing C# not C as you probably spotted, I was tired, had a bad day at work and to top it all I dropped my phone and smashed the screen Galaxy S8+. I've left it there for you to hear because I'd like you to tell me what is happening please.

Thanks Gab

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 24 2019, 09:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2019, 01:22 PM
Instructor
It was time for a rest! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 25 2019, 03:08 PM
It certainly was wink.gif

Out of interest though, why is that C# causing that noise? Is it a bit like the doppler effect?

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
I'm still struggling with those diads, getting better but all of a sudden, as I've got a bit quicker at the changes, my middle finger and occasionally my index finger, are twitching when I put them in position. It's like watching a kid in a sweet shop deciding what to pick laugh.gif I'll keep at it, they just need to know exactly where to go to quickly without hesitation. It's as though they get confused with the change of shape from one diad to the other in the same key rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 27 2019, 09:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2019, 02:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 25 2019, 11:08 AM) *
It certainly was wink.gif

Out of interest though, why is that C# causing that noise? Is it a bit like the doppler effect?

Cheers

Phil

I think that you'll like this musical concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_cluster

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 25 2019, 11:08 AM) *
UPDATE:
I'm still struggling with those diads, getting better but all of a sudden, as I've got a bit quicker at the changes, my middle finger and occasionally my index finger, are twitching when I put them in position. It's like watching a kid in a sweet shop deciding what to pick laugh.gif I'll keep at it, they just need to know exactly where to go to quickly without hesitation. It's as though they get confused with the change of shape from one diad to the other in the same key rolleyes.gif

diads or triads?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 28 2019, 02:44 PM
Sorry Gab,

Triads rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif the G7 and C7 ones you gave me. It's just a matter of time, as I said I'm basically a complete newbie with chords other than the fundamental open and E shape barre chords. The fingers are just getting twitchy with the speed increase, they land fine when I slow it down wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 29 2019, 04:29 PM
Instructor
hehehe you'll be mastering these ones soon!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 29 2019, 04:29 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 29 2019, 09:53 PM
I certainly hope so buddy, otherwise I'll end up like BB HERE

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2019, 03:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 29 2019, 05:53 PM) *
I certainly hope so buddy, otherwise I'll end up like BB HERE

That's a great video by BB!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 88 89 90 91 92 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:36 PM