Thumb Pressure
JCJXXL
Jan 25 2007, 09:36 AM
GMC:er
My thumb sits behind the neck, not over like some people. However, I notice I have a tendency to push the thumb into the neck, so eventually my thumb looks like a shade of pink and then it gets uncomfortable. Is this "thumb pressure" normal and I will get use to it or should there be little pressure coming from my thumb unless needed?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
jete124
Jan 25 2007, 10:14 AM
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Jan 25 2007, 03:36 AM) *
My thumb sits behind the neck, not over like some people. However, I notice I have a tendency to push the thumb into the neck, so eventually my thumb looks like a shade of pink and then it gets uncomfortable. Is this "thumb pressure" normal and I will get use to it or should there be little pressure coming from my thumb unless needed?

I am not positive but it sounds like you are doing something wrong. Personally my thumb is hardly applying any pressure on the neck, and I never seem to have a problem with it hurting.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jan 25 2007, 10:27 AM
Maybe it's beginner muscle tension. I probably just need to chill out and relax a bit.

+Quote Post
jete124
Jan 25 2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah i am still relatively new as well, but i did find at times i would be way to tense while playing. Luckily i have this site and a very good guitar teacher to show me the ropes.

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 25 2007, 10:05 PM
The pressure exerted by your thumb should fluctuate, when you're playing a Barré chord for example you need to press down quite hard with your thumb to get all the strings held down properly, but if you're doing a fast picking run your thumb will just be sliding along the back of the neck. If your thumb is going a weird colour I'd suggest that you're doing something wrong. tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jan 26 2007, 08:22 AM
And if it falls off what does that mean? wink.gif

You're right about the thumb. My pressure does vary as well as the position depending on what I am playing.The night I posted that message, I was doing barre chords for about an hour so of course my thumb drew my attention and I started getting obsessed with the whole pressure thing,etc.

I am sure after a year I will look back at some of the questions I have posted on here and will be quite embarrassed smile.gif

Hopefully by then I'll have the skills so it won't matter how embarrassing my questions were.

Thanks again for the info guys.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 26 2007, 05:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Jan 25 2007, 10:05 PM) *
when you're playing a Barré chord for example you need to press down quite hard with your thumb to get all the strings held down properly

This is also wrong - the quality of Barre chords has nothing to do with thumb pressure. That's a common beginner's mistake. Same was with me - i started playing classical guitar and Barre chords were pain in the ass. But when you practice them more and more you realize the pressure is not the key for a good chording. Same goes with fast runs, scales, arpeggios and playing overall. Thumb is there because there is no better place for it - we HAVE to keep our thumb behind the neck because it's the only comfortable place for it. Sometimes it helps with bending but that's the only use of it.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 01:28 AM
Are you saying you can play a Barre chord without pressing on the back of the neck with your thumb?

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 27 2007, 03:36 AM
Instructor
Absolutely! The main thing is the position of your index finger!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm not saying you have to squeeze really hard, but you definitely have to squeeze a bit. More than playing say an open chord which can be done with your thumb just resting on the neck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 27 2007, 05:22 AM
Instructor
Here - take a look at this vid! smile.gif wink.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 27 2007, 05:27 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Thumb.avi ( 2.98MB ) Number of downloads: 198

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 05:45 AM
Sure, you can do it if you anchor the guitar between your body and arm, if you're standing up though you need to use your thumb.

It's simple physics. If the force on one side of the guitar isnt matched by a force of equal strength going the opposite direction, the guitar head will move backwards. The easiest way to do this is to use your thumb.

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Jan 27 2007, 05:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 27 2007, 05:50 AM
Instructor
Ok - i don't want to turn this into another fight - but - even if you are playing standing and your guitar is hanging on your strap - you can still do it! Trust me - it's not difficult at all. No anchoring - no nothing - just the correct position of your left hand. smile.gif

I was starting my playing with classical guitar - and after moving to electric guitar - all those Barre stuff was piece of cake because the neck is much smaller and thinner.

I don't know how long have you been playing the guitar but you'll get it down just with practice. No physics. wink.gif

I don't mean you don't have to use your thumb - but you don't have to squeez it to pain!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 27 2007, 05:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 05:53 AM
I've been playing 4 years.

Ok so if no use of the thumb when standing up, what do you use to hold the guitar still?

-- Edit -- Just read the end of your post.

-- I didn't mean you have to squeeze really hard. I wasjust explaining to this guy that the force your thumb applies on the neck should vary. More when playing something like a Barre Chord than when picking.

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Jan 27 2007, 05:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 27 2007, 06:00 AM
Instructor
As you said before - you need to have the opposite force to keep the guitar still! So - that is your right hand - i always keep it at the bridge when playing so in that case it is not a problem.

But i think we should end it here, what do you say?

The STRENGHT is not the way to play - it's just how you do it.

But it's ok - when you see you don't have any more blood in your thumb - that's bad biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 06:03 AM
Yeah sure man, I think we understand each other.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 27 2007, 06:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Jan 27 2007, 06:03 AM) *
Yeah sure man, I think we understand each other.

Sure - keep on shredding! smile.gif

I hope with our little discussion we helped our friend to solve the THUMB problem!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 06:09 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 27 2007, 05:04 AM) *
Sure - keep on shredding! smile.gif

The funny thing is, I don't even like shred at all, but this site (and Canon Rock) makes me wanna do it lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 27 2007, 06:12 AM
Instructor
Oh maaaaaaaaan! I can't believe it! I just can't live without shredding! But that depends on a person - that's for sure!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 27 2007, 06:15 AM
Well I listen to stuff like Incubus / Rage Against The Machine which is all about the composition not the pure guitar skill. So if I want to push myself past this to be a great guitarist, I have to force myself to shred lol.

-- Time to go get drunk! Night

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Jan 27 2007, 06:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:38 PM