3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Lcsdds Mtp Phrygian Serial, Post Questions and Takes Here!!
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 01:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright, so Myself, Kazmandu and Outlaw are gonna be working on Muris's Phrygian serial. Lets post any questions and our takes in this thread so we can all follow along.

I'll upload the tab I want us all to work off of here so we are all on the same page.

Thanks to Muris for the AWESOME SERIAL!!

Let's Rock this serial guys!!! smile.gif

Stay tuned......

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 01:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 3 2009, 01:41 PM) *
Alright, so Myself, Kazmandu and Outlaw are gonna be working on Muris's Phrygian serial. Lets post any questions and our takes in this thread so we can all follow along.

I'll upload the tab I want us all to work off of here so we are all on the same page.

Thanks to Muris for the AWESOME SERIAL!!

Let's Rock this serial guys!!! smile.gif

Stay tuned......

ok cool... do you want our takes video taped or just a mp3 of it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 01:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 3 2009, 01:42 PM) *
ok cool... do you want our takes video taped or just a mp3 of it?

I'd like videos if possible so I can see your technique any correct and problems I see. Once you can post a take a full tempo with reasonable timing and clean playing you can move on to the next level.

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 4 2009, 12:55 AM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 3 2009, 01:47 PM) *
I'd like videos if possible so I can see your technique and correct and problems I see. Once you can post a take a full tempo with reasonable timing and clean playing you can move on to the next level.

ok done... sounds like a challenge, i like it

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here is the tab I want you to work off of. You'll notice I've broken it up into 4 licks and I've specified which bars comprise the licks.

Go ahead and download the tab and check it out, and I'll give more instructions later on today. smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phrygian_Beginner.gp5 ( 4K ) Number of downloads: 100

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 03:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright guys first thing we need to do is to make sure that Muris didn't take too many nunchuk blows to the head in his Ninja days and write a solo in "C Aeolian" when he meant to write it in "C Phrygian". laugh.gif laugh.gif

Outlaw.... I want you to figure out the notes and triads that are found in BOTH "C Aeolian and C Phrygian". If you need help with this get Jer to give you a hand. Thanks. smile.gif smile.gif

Kazmanian Devil...Your job is too make sure that chord progression that Muris has us soloing over is indeed a "C Phrygian" chord progression. Make sure you let Outlaw and myself know why you came to that conclusion....You know the drill so get crackin!!!

I've uploaded a revised Chart for you to download and use for analyzing the Diatonic scales. smile.gif smile.gif

Once we've got this step done we will proceed.... smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 5 2009, 12:02 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  diatonic_keys.bmp ( 887.82K ) Number of downloads: 199

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 3 2009, 03:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
C Phrygian has the triads Cmin, Dbmaj, EbMaj, Fmin, Gdim, AbMaj, Bbmin.
These are the chords because they are minor (roman small number) or major (roman capital number) or dimnished (Locrian mode).
Now, the chords from C aeolian are.. Cmin, Ddim, EbMaj, Fmin, Gmin, AbMaj and BbMaj.
So a good chord progression, with a phrygian sound would be...Cmin, Dbmaj, Bbmin. Something with those chords tongue.gif

And Muris' progression is.. Tadaa: Cmin, Db, Bbmin! Exactly tongue.gif

Question, do you want us to learn this solo with your gp5 help, or can we give it a shot ourselves? I think I can learn the lesson without all the exercises... Sorry, being very much me again wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 04:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 3 2009, 03:25 PM) *
C Phrygian has the triads Cmin, Dbmaj, EbMaj, Fmin, Gdim, AbMaj, Bbmin.
These are the chords because they are minor (roman small number) or major (roman capital number) or dimnished (Locrian mode).
Now, the chords from C aeolian are.. Cmin, Ddim, EbMaj, Fmin, Gmin, AbMaj and BbMaj.
So a good chord progression, with a phrygian sound would be...Cmin, Dbmaj, Bbmin. Something with those chords tongue.gif

And Muris' progression is.. Tadaa: Cmin, Db, Bbmin! Exactly tongue.gif

Question, do you want us to learn this solo with your gp5 help, or can we give it a shot ourselves? I think I can learn the lesson without all the exercises... Sorry, being very much me again wink.gif

Good job Kazmainian Devil...\m/\m/.

Tear into the lesson. Remember my Kaz-Box spiel...You only need it when the piece you are playing is above the limits of your technique.

If you can learn this bad boy and post a clean take with good timing without using the KAZ-BOX....Have at it.

Outlaw....Did you follow that? If not get with Jer and he'll walk you through it on your thread. I want to try and keep this thread relatively clean. Everything should be related to learning the lesson.

You an Kaz probably won't have any problems with this lesson. So tear into. As soon as you guys can post clean takes we'll move on to the next level. If you get stuck....I'll get you unstuck!! laugh.gif

But....If I see any sloppy timing we get out the milkbone, hungry dog and.....THE KAZ-BOX for sure. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 3 2009, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 5 2009, 02:41 AM
Notes that are the same in both C Aeolian and C Phrygian are
C,Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

and the triads are
C, Eb, G
Eb, G, Bb
F, Ab, C
Ab, C Eb

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Mar 5 2009, 03:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 5 2009, 03:05 AM
For C aeolian, start on C.

Same notes but different triads.

then what he's looking for is this:

Outlaw.... I want you to figure out the notes and triads that are found in BOTH "C Aeolian and C Phrygian".

So after you list them all, erase the ones that are not in BOTH.

I'm still around if you want to chat.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 5 2009, 04:16 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 5 2009, 02:41 AM) *
Notes that are the same in both C Aeolian and C Phrygian are
C,Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

and the triads are
C, Eb, G
Eb, G, Bb
F, Ab, C
Ab, C Eb

Is this right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 5 2009, 05:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 5 2009, 04:16 AM) *
Is this right?

Outlaw,
Tell me which note is found in C Phrygian but not C Aeolian. Then tell me which 3 triads that note is found in as the root, third and fifth. smile.gif When you tell me which triads make sure you tell me if they are major, minor or diminished.

Remember looking at the chart, the note found in the I, IV or V column is always the root of a Major triad.

The note found in the ii,iii or vi column is always the root of a minor triad.

The note found in the vii dim column is always the root of a diminished triad.

Hope this helps. Go back in the thread and see how Kaz analyzed it. He did a really good job. Then try it yourself and see if you can come to the same conclusion. smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 5 2009, 05:31 AM

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 5 2009, 05:32 AM
based on your original question though, that is right.

Outlaw.... I want you to figure out the notes and triads that are found in BOTH "C Aeolian and C Phrygian".

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 5 2009, 05:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 5 2009, 05:32 AM) *
based on your original question though, that is right.

True. smile.gif Just need to label the triads major and minor. smile.gif

Here is my take guys. Hey Outlaw....Those last four bars that you think are so "Nasty", guess what.....ALL TRIADS!! biggrin.gif

Who's next......

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 5 2009, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 5 2009, 05:29 AM) *
Outlaw,
Tell me which note is found in C Phrygian but not C Aeolian. Then tell me which 3 triads that note is found in as the root, third and fifth. smile.gif When you tell me which triads make sure you tell me if they are major, minor or diminished.

Remember looking at the chart, the note found in the I, IV or V column is always the root of a Major triad.

The note found in the ii,iii or vi column is always the root of a minor triad.

The note found in the vii dim column is always the root of a diminished triad.

Hope this helps. Go back in the thread and see how Kaz analyzed it. He did a really good job. Then try it yourself and see if you can come to the same conclusion. smile.gif

The C Phrygian and the C Aeolian are the same scale except the Phrygian has Db and the Aeolian has a D...

The three traids are Db F Ab minor, Bb Db F minor, G Bb Db Diminished ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 5 2009, 02:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 5 2009, 01:30 PM) *
The C Phrygian and the C Aeolian are the same scale except the Phrygian has Db and the Aeolian has a D...

The three traids are Db F Ab minor, Bb Db F minor, G Bb Db Diminished ?

Close Outlaw, Everything is right except for the names:

Db is the IV in the C Phrygian scale so it is Major-----I, IV and V are ALWAYS major.

Bb is the ii in the C Phrygian Scale so it is minor-----ii, iii and vi are ALWAYS minor

G is the is the vii dim in the C phrygian Scale so it is diminished-----vii dim is always diminished.

So you got everything except the Db is Major and NOT Minor.....Good Job!!! smile.gif

So the triads that are found in C Phrygian but NOT C Aeolian are:

Db Major, Bb Minor and G diminished. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 7 2009, 03:11 PM
whoops... i posted this take everywhere but here... tongue.gif

here it is

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 7 2009, 03:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 7 2009, 03:11 PM) *
whoops... i posted this take everywhere but here... tongue.gif

here it is

Good job John!! There are a few licks in there that you can clean up though. The last section where he is using triads to follow the backing track is one. Get your Kaz-box out and practice those licks with the Kaz box. Do it like this.

50 bpm 1 min
60 bpm 1 min
70 bpm 1 min
80 bpm 1 min
90 bpm 1 min

So now you have just added a lick to your practice routine. Dissect out all the licks that you feel are shaky and not quite a clean as you would like and practice them this way with the Kaz box until you feel comfortable. This to me is the most effiecient use of your time, especially if you have limited practice time.

So if it were me. I would practice every one of those licks, I think I divided this lesson into 4 separate licks, with the Kaz-box and no tracking. Without the backing or GP file playing it will force you to really figure out how the lick needs to be phrased in relation to the beat.

On the slower licks you don't need to drop the BPM like I gave you the example of earlier. Just set the Kaz-box for the tempo of the song and play it by itself for 5 min. You'll be surprised how long 5 min seems to be when playing just one lick over and over. Your assignment for next week is to do this.

Play the Phrygian beginner lesson as the 4 separate licks by themself with just the Kaz-box for 5 min each. Then play the lesson with the backing track for another 10 to 15 min. I think if you practice this lesson this way that you will really improve your playing of it.

Also, you can break up those last 4 bars and work on those licks individually as well. This should show you how you can build your practice routine. You should always have plenty of material to practice if you practice this way.

I want you to try it this way and post me a new and improve take next week. smile.gif Pay attention to your picking hand on those last licks. Watch Muris's and my take and try and duplicate them. Looks to me like you are using all down strokes. A combo of AP an sweeping will work better. Let me know if you want me to upload a new tab for you with the picking directions notated for that last lick. Good job John!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 7 2009, 10:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Can any of you guys post the BT here? Otherwise I'm gonna have a crackling BT again wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 7 2009, 11:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 7 2009, 10:54 PM) *
Can any of you guys post the BT here? Otherwise I'm gonna have a crackling BT again wink.gif

I'll post it later today for you KazMan. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:43 AM