Bending, Tapping And Random Uncharted Slides., Time for some answers!
Steelkonsum
Dec 19 2007, 01:46 PM
All right all right.

I've seen the lessons, read the descriptions and listened to the music and now I want some answers.

I dont know if you get invited to a special all around the world guitar club when you get good enough to know these secrets but if its that way I'll wait but untill then I want to get in on the deal.

First off, bending. Right I know how to bend - I place my fingers on the string and move it untill it make another note. Fair enough, but when I do it it sounds boring and more like a crying cat then a cool bend. So how do I flavor the bend to sound better? Is it settings on the amp? Some cool vibrato technique Ive missed? Do you hit other strings before the bend or what is it?

Secondly tapping, when I do it soundsm ore like those old phone ring tones than a sweet solo technique. Same questions as earlier!

And lastly what I like to call RUS or Random Uncharted Slides. In the middle of a lesson or solo or whatever people just seem to slide in from somewhere down the neck without tabbing it out. Ive noticed it both sounds cool and looks so much cooler. So whats the rule here? whenever you feel like it? From where do you slide, just from feeling or..?

Allow me these answers and help me evolve biggrin.gif

All the best!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 19 2007, 01:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Regarding the bends, I had the same problem smile.gif Sounds like you need some Vibrato on them, and Marcus did 2 awesome vibrato lessons, check them out. You can play a lot with timing of the bends and adding vibrato sooner or later, its all about phrasing.

Can't help with tapping, but RUS (I thought that stood for "Rodents of Unusual Size" - any Princess Bride fans in the house???) - downward slides are a techniques that Steve Vai uses a lot - just start 2 or 3 frets above the note you want to hit and slide it down very quickly. For longer and slower slides, start on a related note such as an octave or 5th higher and it will sound better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 19 2007, 02:16 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi there!! biggrin.gif

With regards to tapping, IMO the gear you have can dramatically effect the way it sounds. This is not to say you need expensive gear, but lenghty sustain will improve the overall sound. Of course the important thing is to develop correct technique, if you havent already watched kris's Tapping 101 series please do so as he explains the tap and the pull off after it.

Back to gear though, more GAIN and a Sustain pedal Will help you out here.

With bends, again it helps if you have lenghtly sustain !!! Of course you need to be doing the technique correctly, and Marcus's vibrato lessons will help heaps.

Just out of interest what gear do you have ? smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 19 2007, 02:24 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
just to add to the tapping, you need to do a slight pull off with your tapping finger to get the notes to "ring" properly, otherwise they can sound a little flat.

As the others have said with regards to bending you need to add some vibrato to them to get them to sound sweet. smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 19 2007, 02:28 PM
I'll check out the vibrato lessons then, thanks.

Yea I got quite good gear I would say. I got an ibanez Rg err.. I am supposed to remember the number I know but I dont. But its a decent guitar. And I got a Behringer GX210 amp. No pedals in use.

I have rewatched the tapping 101 and started practicing regardless. It still sounds a bit funny but might be cause I dont have any real gain knob and just overdrive.

Anyhoo, back to practice.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 19 2007, 02:35 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 19 2007, 01:28 PM) *
I'll check out the vibrato lessons then, thanks.

Yea I got quite good gear I would say. I got an ibanez Rg err.. I am supposed to remember the number I know but I dont. But its a decent guitar. And I got a Behringer GX210 amp. No pedals in use.

I have rewatched the tapping 101 and started practicing regardless. It still sounds a bit funny but might be cause I dont have any real gain knob and just overdrive.

Anyhoo, back to practice.

Why not try the Behringer Sustain / Compressor pedal, this might help the notes ring out clearer and its cheap as chips. A Good distortion pedal helps too.

Dont foget to practice your tapping licks to a metronome for eveness!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 19 2007, 02:45 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 19 2007, 02:35 PM) *
Why not try the Behringer Sustain / Compressor pedal, this might help the notes ring out clearer and its cheap as chips. A Good distortion pedal helps too.

Dont foget to practice your tapping licks to a metronome for eveness!!

Will check it out next time Im at the store.

Yea I try to but I still find it hard to practice with a metronome but I do think I play fairly even even without it. heh.

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 19 2007, 02:49 PM
GMC:er
Practice blues lessons. Eventually your bends will sound amazing.

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Dec 19 2007, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Yeah! I´m agree with Robin

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 19 2007, 06:27 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Robin @ Dec 19 2007, 01:49 AM) *
Practice blues lessons. Eventually your bends will sound amazing.

+1. It was gabe's blues licks 2 lesson that got my bending into shape.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 19 2007, 12:58 AM) *
Can't help with tapping, but RUS (I thought that stood for "Rodents of Unusual Size" - any Princess Bride fans in the house???)

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 19 2007, 06:39 PM
Hmm theres been plenty of advice on here already but I'll add my thoughts.

With the bends, you definately need some vibrato to bring them out. Try bending up to the note, pausing for a brief moment and then adding the vibrato, tends to sound more musical that way. Also try using whammy bar vibrato on bends, sounds awesome! Note - practice vibrato with a metronome!

Tapping - the key to bringing all the notes out is basically doing pull-offs or hammer ons with your fingers. So you don't just tap the initial note, but you sound the next note by sliding you tapping finger downwards, hence plucking the string and creating a pull off effect. Also, you need very accurate muting when doing tapping to avoid random string noise.

Slides- yes they sound very cool in the right places. Many rock guitarists will start a song my doing a slide down the bottom string from roughly the 12th fret on the last note of the count in. You can also use them in songs with great effect by creating a kind of acciacatura effect, by sliding from one note to the main note very quickly.

Another cool thing you could try is something I (and many many guitarists) do a lot (possibly too much!), which is raking into notes. This is when you mute the strings below the string your aiming for and rake up them before the main beat, again creating a kind of acciacatura effect. This works especially well on bends!

Hope that helps
David

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 19 2007, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 19 2007, 06:39 PM) *
Another cool thing you could try is something I (and many many guitarists) do a lot (possibly too much!), which is raking into notes. This is when you mute the strings below the string your aiming for and rake up them before the main beat, again creating a kind of acciacatura effect. This works especially well on bends!

Hope that helps
David

Yea that helped a bit. Think that was part of what I was looking for.

Anyhoo, how do I practice vibrato bends with metronome?

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 19 2007, 06:54 PM
I just commented on a very similar query on another thread, so check out my response here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=9670

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 19 2007, 07:54 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 19 2007, 12:27 PM) *
Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:38 PM