> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Hamid's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2021, 04:21 AM
Instructor
Hi Hamid! Welcome to your mentoring thread.

Link to our previous chat: HERE

Please tell me a bit more about you, your influences, your current level/knowledge and your goals.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hamid
Sep 2 2021, 11:06 AM
GMC:er
Hi Gabi,

In a nutshell, I started to play about 4 years ago, at the age of 36, at the same time as my son (he is 11 now) so that we can have fun together in the future playing some tunes.
Anyway, main influance is pretty "classic": I love Blues, Blues-Rock and classic Rock, sometimes metal...

Santana is a huge reference for me because of his melodies, and of course Jimi for everything.
Then you have Slash (for the melody as well), Mark Knofler, Joe Bonamassa and Gary Clark Jr for their blues rock riffs, and many many others...

My current goal number 1 is to be able to play more melodicaly: as you said better targetting notes when knowing the chords. That needs a structured and organized practice, an action plan with progressive difficulty so to speak.

And second, when I improvise on a track, it sounds "ok", I mean it is melodic like some elevator music, I stick too much to the melody of the backing track and can't break out, so it lacks emotion or surprise. You can check here what I mean, imrovising on a sunday morning when everyone still sleeps:
https://youtu.be/OCHq8pL6Hh8

So, can you help?

cheers,
hamid

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hamid: Sep 2 2021, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2021, 08:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Hamid! Great to hear from you mate. smile.gif

Yes, I understand what you mean. There are many things that you need to work in order to become a better improviser, but there are two elements that make a big difference:

- Knowing the fretboard
- Connecting your mind with the guitar through your ears. In other words, being able to play everything you imagine in your mind.

One question...

Do you know the Caged System?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Hamid
Sep 3 2021, 05:34 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 2 2021, 07:05 PM) *
Do you know the Caged System?

sure, I know it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2021, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Great! So this is the first task.

1) Connecting Mayor Pentatonic.

We'll take two chords. For example A major and F major. You need to record a video once you work on connecting both chords on any part of the fretboard. I'll show you an example starting with A chord (E shape).

- You play the chord:

- Then play the scale and try to visualize the chord within the scale.

- Then, play the closest F major that you can find.

and play the pentatonic major scale around it (again try to see the chord and scale related, as a unique thing, this visualization is the key)

- Once you memorize both shapes, connect them using a metronome. Start playing scale up and down, one measure for each scale, switching to the following scale by playing the closest note from the new scale.

- If possible record a backing track that plays A major on measure 1 and F major on measure 2. Practice switching scales, visualizing chords, then playing random notes and then making phrases.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Hamid
Sep 5 2021, 04:00 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 3 2021, 04:48 PM) *
Great! So this is the first task.

1) Connecting Mayor Pentatonic.

We'll take two chords. For example A major and F major. You need to record a video once you work on connecting both chords on any part of the fretboard. I'll show you an example starting with A chord (E shape).

Cool, I will do! A major and F major are not part of the same scale so it will probably sound a bit off or disonnant.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2021, 05:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hamid @ Sep 5 2021, 01:00 AM) *
Cool, I will do! A major and F major are not part of the same scale so it will probably sound a bit off or disonnant.

You only need to use each scale when the respective chord is sounding.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:23 PM