Using Clippers For Mastering
Mertay
Aug 21 2015, 02:20 PM
GMC:er
Clippers became a hype again in the plug-in world with the release of Kclip and sir audio standardclip.

Without going into anything technical, these are used just like limiters but they don't work like limiters. We (usually) place it right before a limiter to get more loudness, it helps to keep the mix sound transparent as one doesn't have to overuse the limiter.

As the pumping is the side effect of limiters when pushed, clippers distort. They work best to flatten sharp peaks of the mix (usually snare on rock) but if forced too much will distort bad and doesn't work well with bassy peaks (like electronic dance music). After the clipping process, you can use the limiter but don't push the limiter hard (compress like 2 db max) or your mix's musicality will dry out.

Make this a rule; Goal of working with limiters and clippers is transparency while increasing gain, not to make stuff super loud. The web is full of bad sounding music cause of wrong adjusted loudness and no one cares for them...

Here is a list of various clippers, I've been using the freeware Gclip for a few years now and its a nice tool if you want to start learning what clippers do;

Audio Assault KlipFreak, Chokehold Clipmax, IK Multimedia Classic T-RackS Clipper, Joey Sturgis Tones JST Clip, Kazrog KClip, LVC-Audio ClipShifter, SIR Audio Tools StandardCLIP, Sonnox Oxford Inflator, Stillwell Audio Event Horizon, vladg/sound Limiter No6

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2015, 03:59 PM
Instructor
Interesting stuff mate! I've never used clippers for this purpose so I'll definitely try them in my new mixes to see what results I get. I'm working on new lessons so I'll try this as soon as I have to mix them.

Also, do you have any samples of mixes mastered with and without clippers?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 21 2015, 05:19 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 21 2015, 02:59 PM) *
Interesting stuff mate! I've never used clippers for this purpose so I'll definitely try them in my new mixes to see what results I get. I'm working on new lessons so I'll try this as soon as I have to mix them.

Also, do you have any samples of mixes mastered with and without clippers?

Unfortunately no but I can say probably every major (loud mastered) release since the late 90's uses clipping.

Professional mastering engineers who use analog equipment usually do this clipping at the A/D conversion (when the audio is recorded to computer after processed) but these plug-ins can also do the trick if not pushed too strong.

You might want to check with headphones too after applying it to see if there's any noticeable distortion. The distortion is sometimes freq. balance related too so specially check if there is a bassy section in a mix.

Gclip has a flowing waveform in it so you can visually adjust it to only chop peaks, very useful when playing safe.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:00 PM