IM STUCK!
Chris
Feb 8 2007, 09:51 PM
GMC:er
iv been playing guitar not really that seriously for a couple years but i feel as if im stuck....although i can learn endless new chord forms, new scales and new modes they dont seem to really help my playing ability...i dont seem to be any better than i was 4 months ago.....wat shud i do???....my solo improvisations all sound the same....as well.....and i still cant shred really fast solos... sad.gif......however hard i try and can only ever go a certain speed...my alternate picking is still a bit dogey as well....any one got ne ideas? im thinking i shud just learn some quite hard and good sounding songs to improve my ability and impress.....is this a good idea if im not really dialled at the techniques???...some songs though i just physically cant play cus they are too fast for me ....or i cant do certain things without sounding really bad.....ne1 got ne ideas???....i hav one of the dvds that Kris sells on free licks...but i aitn relally watched it yet......shud i just repeatedly try for endless hours at all these techniques???...i think my problem is i just dont play enough....although im one of thos people hu dreams about shredding in front of thousands on stage, i just get very destracted each day and find my self doing other activiteis and not playing guitar at all...any one else in a situation similar.....or were they and they managed to get out?? wat shud i do???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 8 2007, 10:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Practice!

Its the only way ... I am just learning that myself after too many years of staying at the same level, and only getting my guitar out for band practice. You can maintain what you have that way, but you won't get any better.

On the flip side, I found that even after a few serious practice sessions I started getting better, and when you feel that, it keeps you going for more. There are no short cuts in this, you have to work at it. If you can devote an hour a day you'll notice the difference (check out Kris' 'How to practice' vid and go back to basics). I've just started myself and it takes discipline, but its worth it for those rare moments when you master a technique and feel like you ARE the music for a few moments (oops, getting a little Zen there, sorry!)

Good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Chris
Feb 8 2007, 10:14 PM
lol thanks...yes..half term coming up in 1 day time!!! im gonna practice soooooo much!

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Feb 9 2007, 05:19 AM
I agree with Andrew,. It takes alot of discipline. You need to set aside time everyday to pratice. I also set aside time after pratice to learn some new songs. This helps me learn new techniques and ways to use the scales to my advantage. Also it helps me learn new licks. Begin with something around your speed. Something that you can play but also will challenge you to to push your ability a little further. If you havent check out the "How to pratice lesson" here on GMC. If you want this bad enough you will be willing to make the sacrafices it takes to become successful guitarist.

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:44 PM