Song Suggestions, Romantic Era
Taka Perry
Feb 13 2014, 08:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey everyone,

I've started college this year (year 11 & 12 in Australia) and I'm doing a course on Music. My focus is romantic music, and I have an assessment to perform a piece of music from the romantic era. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this, and I'm currently looking for pieces.

I'm not looking for anything too technical, but I want the piece to sound good. Right now I'm thinking of taking a violin part and emulating it on guitar. Has anyone done this before? I have about 4 weeks to prepare. Any suggestions are appreciated! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 13 2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I think that the list below can provide inspiration in respect to what composer you could choose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romantic-era_composers

Beethoven is always a nice choice!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 13 2014, 09:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Feb 12 2014, 11:52 PM) *
Hey everyone,

I've started college this year (year 11 & 12 in Australia) and I'm doing a course on Music. My focus is romantic music, and I have an assessment to perform a piece of music from the romantic era. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this, and I'm currently looking for pieces.

I'm not looking for anything too technical, but I want the piece to sound good. Right now I'm thinking of taking a violin part and emulating it on guitar. Has anyone done this before? I have about 4 weeks to prepare. Any suggestions are appreciated! smile.gif

If you are looking for violin Romantic era; Paganini's Caprices defiantly come to mind. They have a lesson here at GMC, but it is just the beginning of #24. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...-no24-paganini/
A guitarist named Eliot Fisk transcribed them all for guitar, but he isn't really known for making things very playable. I have all 24, but they're in note format. Go to http://www.classtab.org and you can find the Caprices, along with a lot of other classical music from the romantic era there.

No 5 is really cool, but really hard to learn. Steve Vai(Not Ralph Macchio played it in the movie Crossroads)

Number 1 isn't horribly difficult to learn, and it sounds cool to. I played it years ago, but not very well. smile.gif

Good luck.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 13 2014, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
My fave 'guitar' composer of that period is Fernando Sor. He wrote beautiful mini symphonies for the guitar.
Check these out. They're graded studies. Every one is a gem ... http://www.amazon.com/Fernando-Sor-Complet...r/dp/0786637056

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 13 2014, 06:37 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 13 2014, 08:08 AM) *
My fave 'guitar' composer of that period is Fernando Sor. He wrote beautiful mini symphonies for the guitar.
Check these out. They're graded studies. Every one is a gem ... http://www.amazon.com/Fernando-Sor-Complet...r/dp/0786637056

They actually have them here on GMC to.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2014, 07:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 13 2014, 05:35 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif I think that the list below can provide inspiration in respect to what composer you could choose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romantic-era_composers

Beethoven is always a nice choice!

Great list! I noticed that the ones that include the pic are the most known.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Frankly, I think Paganini is a bit too much for the nature of the project - I'd go with this, for certain:

Not full, of course - would they be up for the full 33 minutes? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:32 PM