2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Buckethead!
mattacuk
May 6 2007, 03:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
came across this guy back along on youtube. Really loveing his style........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm4_Xnx6abI

biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 6 2007, 03:31 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 6 2007, 09:00 AM) *
came across this guy back along on youtube. Really loveing his style........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm4_Xnx6abI

biggrin.gif

he has a philosophical reason for wearing the mask and bucket. I believe it is a metaphor for transcending his personal ego. very very skilled musician, been around a long time, has done a great deal of composing and studio work, for himself and others.

I like his style also. I think I could really enjoy laying back on a beach in florida on a summer night, have some beers, and listening to him.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 6 2007, 03:36 PM
Lets go fishing!
The start of this is very Gilbertesque.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqrFesMGtvA

I see paul was this teacher!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
VinceG
May 6 2007, 09:51 PM
huh so thats what he looks like.

I also love his stuff. I have most if not all his albums and side projects except death cube k and some cornbugs and el stew stuff. And on my 25 most played songs in iPod 9 of them are all from buckethead. My fav songs are from him are Binge And Grab, Nothingham Lace, Final Wars, Soothsayer, Population Override.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 6 2007, 10:09 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (VinceG @ May 6 2007, 09:51 PM) *
huh so thats what he looks like.

I also love his stuff. I have most if not all his albums and side projects except death cube k and some cornbugs and el stew stuff. And on my 25 most played songs in iPod 9 of them are all from buckethead. My fav songs are from him are Binge And Grab, Nothingham Lace, Final Wars, Soothsayer, Population Override.

Im going to buy some of his albums I think. You know, I was sure there was a chicken beneath the mask lol!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
May 6 2007, 10:43 PM
Guys, remember to check the first page of the board for a pre-existing topic before posting! tongue.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3738

Anyway, Big B is great. I have over 40 of his albums, including the new "In Search of The" 13 CD set, all handcrafted, numbered and monogrammed by Buckethead! And my favorite piece of memorabilia…

... Two rare signed Buckethead press photos and his first ever "Psychobuddy" column.

For those of you looking to buy some Buckethead, I think these are widely considered to be some of his best albums:

Giant Robot - Not the one I posted, the later one.

Colma - Probably his prettiest sounding album.

Population Override – Perhaps his best rock-fusion type of album, which I think he was quoted as saying was his best playing yet (I’d probably agree).

Monsters & Robots – Mostly a metal album, with plenty of classic tracks.

A couple of his new albums have been well received too, such as Inbred Mountain and Pepper’s Ghost. The Thanatopsis albums are really good if you’re into rock-fusion. Check tdrsmusic.com for the free track downloads to get a feel for those.

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: May 6 2007, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 6 2007, 11:06 PM
Lets go fishing!
God dang thats a serious collection. What album would you recommend a newbie to Buckethead?? I REALLY like the track "Whitewash" biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
May 6 2007, 11:29 PM
That's from his "Colma" album, which is one of his best albums I think. It's some of the softest sounding music he's ever put out, because he wrote it for his mom when she was sick.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
May 7 2007, 12:29 AM
are his fingers really like that? hmm, how could anyone ever match that....a finger that stretches over bout 10 frets

+Quote Post
VinceG
May 7 2007, 02:14 AM
he looks like he has extensions on his pinky. Kinda like the ones that magicians use to hide stuff in there fingers and stuff.

I did not like Colma that much, you guys should look into Electric Tears, I think that album is better than Colma. Population Override is more jazzy non flashy solos and stuff, good for relaxing out or something. All buckethead albums are somewhat different so any of his albums would be fine for a first purchase.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
May 7 2007, 02:27 AM
He can definitely play. But the bucket needs to go.
That's kind of lame.

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
May 7 2007, 03:16 AM
I was told by someone who knows him as Brian Carroll that he wears the bucket and mask partially because he experienced such stage fright when he was young that he would mess up the performance. The Buckethead persona was inspired by his interest in horror films, Disney, the Japanese TV show “Giant Robot”, and so on…

I used to be a bit fascinated by it, but then I grew to believe that it alienated him from his listeners more than enhancing the music / performance aspect. Wearing the mask and bucket wasn’t a spiritual or philosophical decision; he has explained how it happened before. Now he’s around 43-years-old, so I think he can lose the mask. Still, I don’t have much of an investment in it either way.

I don’t plan on attending another one of his concerts anytime soon, because my experiences at them have been pretty weak. The kinds of crowd it draws is depressing. Most of them just want someone to play something fast and heavy that they can head bang to. I’m there for the music, and I’d rather be sitting down and listening at a non-hearing-damaging volume than putting up with a bunch of immature drunks.

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: May 7 2007, 03:25 AM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 7 2007, 08:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
Wow, this has been a really interesting thread. Ive been watching various performances on youtube the past few days and its really inpisreing my practice. I should like to be some sort of Paul Gilbert / Buckethead hyrbid ! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

One things for sure, im going to have start practicing my tapping! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 7 2007, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ May 6 2007, 11:29 PM) *
are his fingers really like that? hmm, how could anyone ever match that....a finger that stretches over bout 10 frets

He's another one of those really big guys with big hands. He's like 6'4. Check out this clip from another part of that same show Buckethead vs the bass player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcXAfIq3C8U...ted&search=

Also, for closeups on the finger work, someone put his "lesson" from Guitar One (I think) up at Youtube too. Not much on how he does what he does, but it's entertaining and you get to see it a but more clear than the bootleg concert vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86DEKFissl4

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 9 2007, 01:59 PM
Lets go fishing!
I was wondering if you guys could tell me some more about bucketheads technique, specifically I like his tapping style. If you want the start of this video, he does some amaizing Tapping.......

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 9 2007, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 9 2007, 12:59 PM) *
I was wondering if you guys could tell me some more about bucketheads technique, specifically I like his tapping style. If you want the start of this video, he does some amaizing Tapping.......

I can't get to Youtube from where I am at the moment. I came across a video the other day from someone that was explaining and demonstrating that. The title was something like Nubs Lesson or Finger Nubs Lesson or something like that.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 9 2007, 05:21 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ May 9 2007, 04:10 PM) *
I can't get to Youtube from where I am at the moment. I came across a video the other day from someone that was explaining and demonstrating that. The title was something like Nubs Lesson or Finger Nubs Lesson or something like that.

great post scott, ive foudn the video and its very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6bMssZGOG0

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 10 2007, 02:40 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 9 2007, 04:21 PM) *
great post scott, ive foudn the video and its very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6bMssZGOG0

Yeah. Simpler than I expected. It's one of those techniques where there's not much to it but being able to get your fingers exactly in sync.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 10 2007, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ May 10 2007, 03:40 PM) *
Yeah. Simpler than I expected. It's one of those techniques where there's not much to it but being able to get your fingers exactly in sync.

It's Kris! I'm sure! tongue.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 10 2007, 05:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (blindwillie @ May 10 2007, 04:54 PM) *
It's Kris! I'm sure! tongue.gif

It seems 85% of Youtube members think its Paul Gilbert, which is rediculous!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:10 AM