Just Had My Guitars Setup, My Ibanez and a no-name acoustic
RobM
Feb 1 2008, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
This past wednesday night I had two of my three guitars professionally setup. My primary electric is an Ibanez RG1570 that is a few months old. When I bought it I brought it home but after a couple of weeks it didn't feel quite right so I brought it back and told them. The guy (the owners son who is a real ass) said that it played fine but he would give it a look. After looking at it he aid the truss rod needed a minor adjustment and that was it. I told him I thought the action was high and that there was a string buzz, he disagreed and said there was nothing wrong. Ever since then I still thought the guitar could play and sound better so this past wednesday I brought it to the guitar shop I take lessons from and had their guitar tech look at it and a no named acoustic I've had forever but it was so far out I just could not play it.

After I went back to pick up the guitar the tech told me he had to do the following to it:

Adjust the neck, Adjust the bridge, Adjust the spings, Adjust the pickups, Tighten the tuners, Lower the action, Resting

The guitar plays and sounds absloutly great now that he's worked on it. The same with the acoustic(It was way out). For a total of $107.29 I had two guitars professionally setup and restringed. Took the guy the better part of three hours to do both, that included cleaning and polishing the fingerboard on both and filing the frets on the acoustic and then cleaning and polishing both guitars.

Given the fact that I bought the guitar with more than likely these problems on it, should I go back to the guitar shop where I bought it and ask for the money I had to spend on the setup because they pretty much blew me off when I asked to have the problems fixed or should I just let sleeping dogs lie and never spend any money in that shop again and just bad mouth them to anyone who asks? I really don't need the money but it ticks me off to know that I was just blown off like I was. I'm sure my newness to guitar setups and playability had a lot to do with that. At least I know the difference now!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 1 2008, 10:19 PM
At least go back and tell them what a professional had to fix on their "perfect" guitar and what it cost you.
If they don't offer you the money back but you still want to do business with them in the future (I wouldn't) you will have one up on them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 1 2008, 10:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Are they ignorant or do they just not know? I mean you have an expensive high quality guitar and I think that if they want to keep good customers they should take care of them and their instruments better and just not have them talk to the hand when there's a complaint.

I'd love to see you go back and demand payment for the setup and rumble a bit, stick a note on the board saying "After buying your guitar have it set up by xxxx xxxxx" wink.gif
But, knowing myself I'd just be a bit grumpy so I'd probably wouldn't do that myself. But be sure to let us know if you go back, I'm really fond to see people stand up for their rights smile.gif

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 2 2008, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately this is going to be a "vote with yoru dollars" type situation. You aren't going to be able to substantiate your claim that the guitar played funny before you got it set up even if it's 100% the case unless the tech wrote down the specs the guitar was at and the specs he put it at and you compared it to the specs Ibanez releases for their instruments. They could probably still argue with you over you tweaking it in the privacy of your own home to play that way. Ultimately, it'd probably boil down to a he said/she said type of deal and at that point it's in the hands of the owner and however his personality is.

Were I you, I'd go in and ask the manager how often you should set up a floyd rose guitar. He'll probably say something to the tune of a year or so, then ask him why you had to get your guitar set up professionally on a guitar a couple months old that you bought from his shop and it cost you xx$ because it was unplayable (hey, this is he said/she said and "unplayable" is a highly subjective definition). Then just go through your concern with him and say that you would think twice about buying instruments from his shop ever again because of your bad experience with the initial quality of the instrument. Odds are you'll get some kind of perk from him, might not be the cost of the setup, but probably a discount toward future purchases.

I wouldn't go so far as to stay standing up for rights, but certainly demanding the value that you paid for, for sure wink.gif

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Feb 2 2008, 11:39 PM
a brick thru the window in the middle of the night always helps express anger... haha

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
RobM
Feb 3 2008, 07:11 AM
I appreciate the input from everyone. I'm probably going to go back and tell them what happened with the luthier(he's very well known in my area with a very good rep) and remind them that I bought the guitar there and also made a special trip down there because I felt the guitar wasn't setup correctly before I brought it to the luthier but was blown off.

As I said in my original post the owner's son is kind of lame. When I bought the guitar he tried to short change me by saying he would even throw in a gear bag with the guitar. I had to remind him that it came with a hard case and then he played dumb saying "oh yah I must have forgotten". I still don't think I got the correct case with it, it was just a generic Ibanez rectangle hard case with the small storage compartment inside and the cheesy key lock near the handle. I thought the case was supposed to be a guitar shaped hard case that was fitted to the shape of my guitar inside, also with the small storage compartment inside and a combination lock outside near the handle? He's always there and whenever you buy something he's the one that names the price and finalizes the deal. From dealing with him the couple times that I have I thought he was a snake just waiting to screw over anyone who didn't know what they were talking about. They deal mostly with kids and parents and new players like me there.

I don't think I'll go as far as throw a brick thru their window or even demand they reimburse me for the $55.00 setup fee, but if I can get a few packs of strings, some picks and maybe a new strap for my acoustic out of them I'll be happy. More than likely I'm going to hear something like "if you were not happy, you should have brought it back again", of course that's nothing but a guilt trip and a responsibility dodge but at least I can try. Probably won't happen until at least this coming Tuesday but I'll keep you guys informed.

Thanks again for the input, it's nice knowing I can always come in here and ask questions knowing I'll at least get a few answers from people who are more experienced than me.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:33 PM