Way new newbie
Scott Gentzen
Jan 19 2007, 12:03 AM
GMC:er
I even posted my first post elsewhere instead of here. Oops.

I'm 32 years old and the first time I picked up a guitar and decided I should really learn how to play it was just short of a month ago.

In high school, I listened to a lot of guitar rock...Steve Vai, Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Extreme, etc (it was the 80's). A friend tried to teach me how to play but all I learned is that I had a really short reach and that it all made my hands hurt, so I stopped.

Late in 2006, a band that I'm into these days, Otto's Daughter (http://www.ottosdaughter.com), did a special pre-order thing for their new album that's coming out. If you preorder, you get the CD signed, poster, stickers, etc and you get entered to win a guitar. I like signed stuff, so I preordered and in mid-December I found out that I won the guitar.

So now I have a guitar that I can either let sit and collect dust, or learn to play. I'm going to learn to play it. Got a pawnshop amp to run it through as of last week. I'm working on getting a regular structured practice routine now...the How to Practice video isn't so good for me yet as the jam/improv section is really beyond my skillset yet. I'm thinking of something like 1/3 raw technique, 1/3 scales and chords, 1/3 working out playing a song.

Short term, I'm working hard on getting used to the mechanics of playing...hand positions, posture, toughening up my fingertips, flexibility, etc. Short term goals are the obvious learning a vocabulary of scales and cords and being able to play them fluidly. Longer term, I'm thinking that I'd like to be able to hang in a blues jam situation...not necessarily tear it up but be able to follow along and hold my own at least. From there, who knows? There's a lot of time between now and then.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:26 PM