> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >  
Lester's Thread, for Gab's Army
Lester
Sep 5 2017, 07:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the feedback!

I guess you are referring to the formula for major scales?
With the intervals WWHWWWH, and chords I,IV,V major, VII diminished and II and III minor?

However, some notes will sound better than others over each chord (chord notes).

Is this the same way for soloing in minor scale over a minor chord progression? Or is this more so for major scale?
I'll try to experiment with it and learn the CAGED system when I have the chance too!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 6 2017, 02:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Sep 5 2017, 03:02 PM) *
I guess you are referring to the formula for major scales?
With the intervals WWHWWWH, and chords I,IV,V major, VII diminished and II and III minor?

Exactly! In those cases, you keep the same scale for the whole progression but the "function" of each note varies depending on the chord sounding at each moment. Experimenting with this is a great thing. If there is a chord that appear in the progression and it's not part of the tonality, it means that you have to switch the scale. There are some concepts that you'll have to check in those cases: modal interchange & modulation. (but these are more advanced topics).

QUOTE (Lester @ Sep 5 2017, 03:02 PM) *
Is this the same way for soloing in minor scale over a minor chord progression? Or is this more so for major scale?

Yes!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Lester
Sep 12 2017, 10:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

I promised to upload a progress vid for the first round of technique lessons, so here it is!

I didn't have a lot of time, so it's not as polished, since I did all of them in 1 or 2 takes wink.gif
Most of the lessons are going o.k. I guess, but I do still have a lot of trouble with the vibrato one, it feels more like bending to me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 13 2017, 02:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester! That video is GREAT! It's very cool to see you playing and working all those lessons. This will give you killer results if you keep your diary practice!

You are doing a good job with all of those lessons. There are basically a few issues to polish:

- The pitch of your bending. I could say that 50% of those bends are reaching the right pitch while the other 50% is not precise. It would be a good idea to isolate those bends and practice playing first the target note and then the bend.

- Vibrato: Your vibrato is not regular yet. The vibrato lesson needs more work as you've said, and the more you polish it, the better this technique will be in the other lessons (as for example the last one on this vid).

- Cleanness: The unwanted noises appear on legatp + picking lesson. Try to find out the way to mute the strings that your are not playing. It can be tricky when crossing strings since you need to do a combination of right hand muting with the use of your index finger tip and "body" as a bare. Check out this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Muting-Unwanted-Noise/

Ok mate, I hope to be able to see more videos like this one from you soon.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Sep 19 2017, 09:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks, glad you like it! biggrin.gif I am really satisfied with the progress thus far as well, so I'd say the new practice routine you helped me with is working! wink.gif

- The pitch of your bending. I could say that 50% of those bends are reaching the right pitch while the other 50% is not precise. It would be a good idea to isolate those bends and practice playing first the target note and then the bend.

Yes, this keeps on being a hard topic for me. I am now consequently practicing the vid of Satriani you showed me and I think its getting better. At the beginning I think my bends were mostly too low, but now they are too high at times rolleyes.gif

- Cleanness: The unwanted noises appear on legatp + picking lesson. Try to find out the way to mute the strings that your are not playing. It can be tricky when crossing strings since you need to do a combination of right hand muting with the use of your index finger tip and "body" as a bare. Check out this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Muting-Unwanted-Noise/

Thanks for the advice, I'll start working on it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2017, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that the routine is helping and showing results!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Oct 9 2017, 08:34 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

Just a quick update:

I have taken a break for two weeks from my regular practice schedule to prepare for an upcoming audition.
I submitted a vid and was invited to come and play two songs with them upcoming Saturday! smile.gif

It's a band called Heartbeat Worship and they play on the major Christian festivals in the Netherlands, so I am quite exited biggrin.gif

After this week, I'll get back to my regular practice routine wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 9 2017, 02:26 PM
Instructor
Wou! That sounds really good!!! All my best wishes to you. I hope to find news here soon.

Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 7 2017, 11:34 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 9 2017, 03:26 PM) *
Wou! That sounds really good!!! All my best wishes to you. I hope to find news here soon.

Cheers!

Hi Gabe!

So...too bad, I didn't get it mellow.gif
But, I was still proud that I got invited from all the submissions, there will be something else cool.gif

I am trying to pick up my regular practic routine again.
I find it a little hard thus far, since I got a new job and need to travel more, so I need to find a new way of doing things, but I am getting there biggrin.gif
Hope to have some new vids for you in a couple of weeks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2017, 02:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester! Nice to hear from you! Everything is always welcome as a part of the journey, and as experience for the future, so don't worry.

Let's get back to practice! What things are you planning to work during the next days?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 22 2017, 08:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

Sorry for replying so late rolleyes.gif I am still working on these lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/jimi_h...string_bending/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hendrix-Trills/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/legato-lesson/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoust...Hybrid-Picking/

They are going way slower than the previous batch, but that makes sense since they are a lot harder biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2017, 04:39 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester, nice to hear from you!

That's a very inspiring list of lessons. How are you organizing your practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 24 2017, 04:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, I am basically trying to practice five days a week and I do one of these "technique" lessons each day.

Something like this:

5 min. warm-up
25 min. technique
30 min. playing a song, or doing some theory. --> I currently really want to learn turnarounds and arpeggios smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 24 2017, 05:57 PM
Instructor
Great! It's helpful to have some kind of structure when practising. Then, you can improvise and change things along the way, but it's the best way to achieve desired goals.

What's your current arpeggios knowledge? and what made you want to learn it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 30 2017, 10:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Well, my current arpeggio knowledge is zero, actually biggrin.gif

I bought a new amp last week, this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BluesJrLT

I bought a used one through the Dutch version of Ebay so to say smile.gif
And by total coincidence I bought it from my first guitar teacher, which is like 15 years ago.
He was playing a little bit and I was quite impressed and asked about what he was doing to know his fretboard so well and his advice was to learn turnarounds and arpeggios...so that's why! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 30 2017, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Nice! The link is broken but I google this one: LINK

Congrats mate! It will bring some new ideas and inspiration!

We have a cool Arpeggio Workout here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...eggio-Workshop/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 1 2017, 03:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, that's the one! biggrin.gif
I am really happy with it, I bought a Fender George Benson Hot Rod deluxe a couple of years back, but with it 40 Watts, it was just too loud for at home.
It was even too loud for most gigs I was playing at rolleyes.gif

So now I have an amp that I like better, which cost me about half the price of my previous amp!

That arpeggio workout looks like the exact thing I need! cool.gif Very cool, thank you for the suggestion. I will keep you updated on how it goes!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2017, 08:06 PM
Instructor
Nice!! Congrats again on the new amp! smile.gif

Please keep me updated about your progress with the arpeggios. Cheers.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 5 2018, 09:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 3 2017, 09:06 PM) *
Nice!! Congrats again on the new amp! smile.gif

Please keep me updated about your progress with the arpeggios. Cheers.

Hi Gabe!

What's going on? smile.gif

So I am working on these arpeggios, from this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Arpegg...rkshop-Level-1/

But I am not entirely sure what the example are from vid 6, there are 4 examples, but I do not now what they are or what to do with them...
Can you help me out? smile.gif

Lester

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2018, 02:43 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

In part 6, you'll find those 4 examples that are related to the backing tracks. The examples show the different triads that you'll have to play over the backing.

- The first thing that you need to do is to identify each triad and play it. I've marked each triad with a green.

Attached Image

The triads that appear in order are: C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim

Play them in order as it's showed by the instructor in the video with other "examples".

- Then you can practice this over the backing track. If you listen to the backing track, you'll notice that it's the progression related to the triads in the same order. Example 1 backing is: C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim, so you have to play each triad over each chord of the same name. At first you can play it up and down, then you can mix note and try to be more creative.

Is it clear?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:03 PM