Tested Adaptive Distortion (boss Da-2) And More...
Mertay
Jul 26 2015, 07:54 PM
GMC:er
This weekend I went to a friend I mentioned here before who has some nice gear. He had a bunch of guitars and a cool Fender amp (Hotrod deluxe 3 factory modified) and started to buy some pedals.

-We had only one distortion pedal which was a boss DA-2. All knobs cranked (except level) gives a really good solo or modern-ish metal (say mix of a mesa and marshall amp distortion) like rhythm sounds, lower settings are still cool and has a nice feel of modern classic sound sort of thing. The level knobs boost gain is insane, I have no idea why someone would need so much output from a dist. pedal which can already get pretty aggressive.

As have tested a few, digital distortion pedals (these days) are way more versatile than analog but the only downside is you start to lose the guitars original tone pretty quick. They react just like analog pedals in a chain, also though being digital they sound and feel waaay better than any processor or guitar plug-in one can demo these days.

The fun started when we chained overdrive pedals before it,

-First the classic TS9; That famous low-mid bump gives really nice warmth to a distortion pedal and helps preserving its tone (unlike using it as pure overdrive). Even driven hard, it complimented the drive very nice/organic and didn't add anything extreme to the tone which can be a good or bad thing smile.gif

-Ibanez JD9; Personally hate it as an overdrive, but this was the most fun while testing smile.gif

Its an extreme version of the ts9. The drive can make a dist. pedal very amp-like, the mid knob can give (increased) endless sustain or (decreased) cool tonal variations. Its hard not to like it for this usage but the expense of cranking it is the tone starts to get "fake" with extreme settings and the build quality of these pedals aren't good.

A must try for extreme distortion users who uses overdrive as booster, specially if they like but want more from a ts9. If gonna buy used (can be very cheap) be careful when testing to see if it works properly.

-Boss OS2; First time I ever played one and is definitely interesting. Its very versatile but has a learning curve, the knobs strongly needs compensating each other while adjusting and this makes it harder to fully understand what it can do. Both overdrive and dist. settings are nice but between knob settings were the best. As an overdrive pedal only driving the amp its can be very useful, just not sure yet if my kind of pedal.

It overall attacks the distortion pedal with more brightness at most settings, it was the only one among them to be able to make the DA-2 sound thrash-metal like. It can definitely do warmth too, not as organic as the screamers though and not with such power.

I still feel I didn't test it enough so won't comment further, if I ever get the chance to play with it again and feel more certain of its character then will make a separate topic about it...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 26 2015, 08:07 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the review! I've not tried most of these pedals. I've not seen most of them before to be honest. I'm hoping to run in to them though after reading smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 27 2015, 06:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
interesting read, Mertay nice one smile.gif

I was really tempted to get a Ts9 recently but in the end I opted for 2 tone city mini pedals instead. I'll probably still get a ts9 though next time rolleyes.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 27 2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys smile.gif

Todd, definitely check the jd9! it can do some serious pre dist. shaping in a way you might like wink.gif

Bleez, I bought mine new but after spending some time realized its probably the most sturdy pedal in the market. So study I feel I can break a wall with it and still keep it in working condition smile.gif so if you find a clean used one for the right price go for it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2015, 11:00 PM
I've been using the Fuhrmann Marco De Ross pedal as a Boost/OD as it's really based on an overdrive design not dist. It's got a 3 band eq on it which makes things really handy when pushing a high gain amp. Here is a quick demo where I"m boosting a HOTONE Heart Attack mini amp (Gain on 4). You can really push those little amps hard!! It's driving a full size 4x12.

Watch the bass knob trim out the mud. Very handy. Without it, the Heart Attack, like a real Mesa, can Mudd up a bit if you are not careful with the gain.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 27 2015, 04:51 PM) *
Thanks guys smile.gif

Todd, definitely check the jd9! it can do some serious pre dist. shaping in a way you might like wink.gif

Bleez, I bought mine new but after spending some time realized its probably the most sturdy pedal in the market. So study I feel I can break a wall with it and still keep it in working condition smile.gif so if you find a clean used one for the right price go for it smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:27 PM