2 Pages V   1 2 >  
7 Strings, 7 string guitar
Smikey2006
Apr 30 2007, 10:01 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, recently after hearing some steve vai stuff ive been interested in 7 string guitars, because i live in canada and under a rock i cant find any 7 strings anywere to test out, what are everyones opinions? brands?, shreddability, give me sum feedback on anything smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 4 2007, 01:03 AM
Instructor
I played a few 7-strings, 2 Ibanez - RG and UV and Shecter. I liked Universe the most. Btw. if you doubt in ability to shred on 7-string - don't let that bother you. You can shred just like on a regular 6-string. You just have to get used to a wider neck but it's a matter of 3 to 4 days.

Btw. Rusty Cooely plays only 7-strings and he is one of the best shredders out there so it's a straight proof! smile.gif

Dean RC-7 is too expensive so i suggest you try Ibanez RG1527. It's a middle price guitar. Around 700$ i think.

Hope it helped! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 6 2007, 04:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Actually wasburn has one that rather cheap, plays and sounds well if you just want to get started in 7 strings, this is the one i got.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Was...itar?sku=512448

But if you got the extra cash.....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sch...itar?sku=513104

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 6 2007, 04:35 PM
Instructor
Yeah forgot to mention: it also depend on - do you want to have a floating bridge or not! I just can't play guitar without the floating bridge!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Khaos
May 7 2007, 06:53 AM
7 strings are really awesome, Jeff Loomis (from Nevermore) uses one and has a signature model made by Shecter.

To me, 7 strings were guitars designed for pure shredding. This may sound opinionated (I could be totally wrong) but most people I know go into the world of 7 strings because they're high on sweeping and it's their main focus.

--------------------
Current Gear:
  • 1990 Jackson USA SL1 (Soloist) w/ SnakeSkin Finish
  • Peavey 5150

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 7 2007, 09:15 PM
currently i have no floating bridge, but im not picky, i like them but i survive with out it.

Hey Uncreator, im guessing those are american prices, but they don't seem to bad smile.gif i might have to pick one up after i get my new 6 string.

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 7 2007, 09:46 PM
I second that ;-)

If only wanting to do evil low B string riffing it's actually more advisable to use harder strings (0.56 - 0.013) and downtune a 6-String. Especially if you use a floating bridge tremolo like floyd rose you get a better string reaction from a 6 than 7 string.

7 Strings are great if you want to play the same as a standard tuned 6 string and still have evil low range access.

A 7 string will never come close to a bass, though. Even if between a std. 4 string bass guitar and your 7 string guitar you are only missing 7 half steps the timbre is completely different.
I made that mistake 10 years ago when friends needed a bass player for a gig and I said well if you don't find one I can help you out with my 7 string guitar...... It was awfull!!!

This post has been edited by Igorrr: May 7 2007, 09:46 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 7 2007, 10:48 PM
Exactly, A 7 string gives you the sound of a Standard tuned guitar...PLUS the low style riffage of a detuned guitar, the only difference is tone, i know it might soun weird but a 7 string is tuned to
B E A D G B E, So on a 6 string you would have to tune to B standard to get the same notes, but the de-tuned 6 string gives off a different vibe or tone than the 7 string, which is why i think Nile dont use them cause a 6 string de-tuned to drop A Sounds different than if you do it on a 7.

Either way, they both sound great!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 7 2007, 11:04 PM
thats basically what im looking for.. evil = good smile.gif i just need to find 1 and getting adjusted to the bigger neck and thicker string.. what gauge is used on the 7th and can u buy packs for 7 strings i dun think ive ever seen them ( packs of strings)

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 8 2007, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ May 7 2007, 07:04 PM) *
thats basically what im looking for.. evil = good smile.gif i just need to find 1 and getting adjusted to the bigger neck and thicker string.. what gauge is used on the 7th and can u buy packs for 7 strings i dun think ive ever seen them ( packs of strings)

Yes you can.

These are the ones I play: (D'Addario EXL110-7 XL / 0.010 - 0.56)
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp...&GroupCode=

But of course there are also 0.009ers:
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp...&GroupCode=

In Brazil it's hard to get the sets so I usually end up buying a 0.013 - 0.56 6 String set and the 0.010 string seperately.

This post has been edited by Igorrr: May 8 2007, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
TheProof
May 8 2007, 12:20 AM
how much is the dean rc 7? that guitar looks WICKED

--------------------
People are strange, when you're a stranger.
Places look ugly when you're alone.

Where we start. Is where we end.

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 8 2007, 07:25 AM
Instructor
It's 3200$

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 10 2007, 02:01 AM
Just ordered my first 7 string biggrin.gif what fun awaits me .. haha lets hope i don't hate it ohmy.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Khaos
May 10 2007, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ May 10 2007, 02:01 AM) *
Just ordered my first 7 string biggrin.gif what fun awaits me .. haha lets hope i don't hate it ohmy.gif

Nice!

What kind?

--------------------
Current Gear:
  • 1990 Jackson USA SL1 (Soloist) w/ SnakeSkin Finish
  • Peavey 5150

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 11 2007, 12:30 AM
its the 1 from one of the first posts.. umm schecter damien series, 7 string its in the mail ill be gettin it soon so ill letcha know how it is haha

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 11 2007, 01:17 AM
Whats a floating bridge???

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 13 2007, 12:28 PM
Instructor
Talking about 7-strings.... i was watching Marcel Coenen videos today - on YouTube and i saw his new signature model from Bo-El guitars. I saw it - an i loved it! The price is totally acceptable so i will ocntact them and see if they can ship it to Croatia!

Here is the link
http://www.huubboel.nl/ENG/models/mc7.html

This is the baby i am thinking of:

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 13 2007, 02:41 PM
Wow, thats a nice looking guitar, and not To expensive really, i like the Tree of life Inlay better though.

Either way it shall shred!

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 13 2007, 02:46 PM
Instructor
Yeah Tree Of Life is awesome but you can't have this Cherry Color with the Tree Of Life inlay sad.gif (i think i'll ask them about that when contacting about shipping)

The other guitar with the TOL inlay has a bit different red color but i like the Cherry one better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 13 2007, 04:30 PM
Ah i see, I do like the cherry red. and the dot inlay is cool anyway.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:07 AM