4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Blackstar Ht-5 (h), new 5 watt amp from Blackstar
MickeM
Nov 24 2008, 10:44 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Nov 24 2008, 10:01 AM) *
So basically, for 360 euros you're all set and have an amazing little Tube amp that sounds great? Or would I have to buy the head with it too?

360€ is for the Combo. The head runs for 299€ and then you'd need a (matching) cab. The HT-5 mini stack runs for 549€ so for a single cab I guess something like 130-140€

EDIT: If it sounds great or not would be up to the listener. I've only heart one review soundclip and I havn't heard the amp live but a fair guess is - YES, it'll sound great. Perfect for home practicing and home studio, even pro studion. You could gig with it too if you hook it up to your PA, no need for miking since you can just jack up the emulation-output.

QUOTE (Pavlov @ Nov 24 2008, 10:01 AM) *
How is this better than, say, a Blackheart or an epiphone valve thingamajing for home use?

A Blackheart or Epi Valve could very well be "better", it depends a bit where you put your value.
Without ever heard the HT-5 I put the extra value in
* ISF texture feature (sweep between british and american sound)
* It's designed to sound a 100W at low volumes. To explain that, if you ever played a 50-100W tube amp at low volumes it's not a full sound at all but rather weak. Crank it an there's a different story, bottom end and headroom and a powerful sound. I've miked a 4x12 cab at home and recorded at low volume, a realaity for many users with either family, neighbours or both to concider. It doesn't sound good at all. You need some Volume! I userstand the HT-5 is designed to deliver the cranked sound already at low volumes which is great for us home users or studio users who want to record. All you need then is to get the volume up to par with the mike.
Also I susped it's a nicer home practice sound aswell.
* There's an effects loop
* There's a cab emulator, check the picture in the first post, there's a jack beside the (5) to the left. That works with headphones aswell.

Compared to the Blackheart or Epi Jr the Blackstar cost more money but has more features. The question is rather whether you need these features or not. If you don't, save a buck by getting a Blackheart or Epi valve. If you want your amp all inclusive, I suggest the Blackheart.

I just feel one should get a HT-5 a.s.a.p before they realize they put the price way too cheap for such an amp!!!!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Nov 24 2008, 10:48 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Nov 24 2008, 11:48 AM
GMC:er
Ah thanks, much clearer now. One more question, do you need the head or does the combo alone suffice?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 24 2008, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (Pavlov @ Nov 24 2008, 11:48 AM) *
Ah thanks, much clearer now. One more question, do you need the head or does the combo alone suffice?

A combo is sufficient. It's an amp in full with both amlification and a speaker.

A head alone won't work, it's only the amplification part, you need to buy a speaker cabinet to go with it.

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Nov 24 2008, 12:10 PM
Oh tempting...

Mmm, screamyness.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 24 2008, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 28 2008, 10:26 AM) *
Blackstar who are a relatively new company is pushing out one interesting product after another. Their series of pedals seem to be great ones and also their handwired Artisan series of 15, 30 and 100 watt amps.

They are releaseing a contender in the 5 watt segment, and what a beauty she is! It should be in stores late November.
[attachment=10851:Blackstarht_5h.jpg]

Funny thing is that it's called HT, same as the pedal series so it's supposedly carrying the craftsmanship of the pedals in it's preamp section.
Also comes in a 1x10 combo version and there's a mini stack too (head + 2 pcs of 1x12 cabinets)

- A studio and practice amp that has two channels, clean and dirty.
- Has speaker emulated output (1x12 or 4x12 voicing).
- An effects loop.
- Also has something called ISF and simply put one can say that's a texture knob, you've seen it on other amps. Elmwood has a texture knob on their Modena and I suppose it's what Peavey Valveking also comes with, sits in the back. It's like "turn it and go from a US kind of amp sound into UK territory). It's a UK design so I expect it to sound bristish in it's foundation.

In a small 5 watter all of this together is just WOW!!

It's poweramp has a 12BH7 dual triode tube that delivers 5 watt but the character is supposed to be like a cranked 100 watt amp. This was Blackstars idea about this amp to start with.

Preamp: 1xECC83 and Poweramp: 1x12BH7
10˝ Celestion speaker in the combo (and cabinet)

Priced adound twice of Blackheart to name a competitor
Head cost around €300
Combo around €360

GREAT for home or cabin use!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 25 2008, 11:50 PM

Through a 12" it would be so sweet!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 26 2008, 05:51 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 25 2008, 11:50 PM) *

Love the voice of the demo guy tongue.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 27 2008, 06:10 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 25 2008, 11:50 PM) *

Check out the guy demo-ing the Vox Satchurator...burning it up! smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 29 2008, 03:20 PM
Next demo video. This seem to be a pleasant little beast cool.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 30 2008, 03:20 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 29 2008, 09:20 AM) *
Next demo video. This seem to be a pleasant little beast cool.gif

Wow - very versatile and some great sounds - could make it to my wish list, I'd love something with that range to use for recording!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 30 2008, 04:23 PM
Pretty cool little amp! 5 watts cranked will still be loud though.

I'm always telling people tube amps aren't rated the same as solid state amps. A 5 watt tube amp is equal in volume to a solid state amp more than twice the wattage rating.

So don't be fooled thinking 5 watts will be bedroom practice level.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 30 2008, 08:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 30 2008, 10:23 AM) *

No definitely not! But 5W is a a reasonable level for studio and recording work ... I don't see this amp on sale in the US though yet ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 30 2008, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 30 2008, 01:35 PM) *
No definitely not! But 5W is a a reasonable level for studio and recording work ... I don't see this amp on sale in the US though yet ...

True on the volume for recording and studio work.

Sounds like it delivers some nice tone, that will be the bottom line.

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 30 2008, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 30 2008, 04:23 PM) *
I'm always telling people tube amps aren't rated the same as solid state amps. A 5 watt tube amp is equal in volume to a solid state amp more than twice the wattage rating.

tommyboy

On my account it's more for home studio work. Having the opportunity of getting the sound of a cranked 100W amp (claime by Blackstar) and the line out makes it a perfect choise for me.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 18 2008, 02:14 PM
Another demo found on youtube

+Quote Post
Davie
Dec 20 2008, 06:14 PM
I have tried this amp and it's extremely good, loud to smile.gif. The watts is more than enough and when playing live the sound technicians often wants to reduce the stage sound and tells you to turn the amp volume down. And a tube amp sounds better on higher volumes, therefore I think it's better to have a 5 watt amp than a 100, because you will often have to turn the volume down on the 100watt and decrease the soundquality. smile.gif

+Quote Post
inertia
Dec 21 2008, 01:57 AM
So MickeM, the million dollar question is "have you bought one yet and when will post a proper GMC demo" haha...looks like a very sweet amp, i think I'm buying the mesa boogie 5:50 for just a bit more versatility, 5 watts seems to be a great fit for many uses, I find my 15 watt tube right now is too loud at my house

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 21 2008, 02:07 AM
QUOTE (inertia @ Dec 21 2008, 01:57 AM) *
So MickeM, the million dollar question is "have you bought one yet and when will post a proper GMC demo" haha...looks like a very sweet amp, i think I'm buying the mesa boogie 5:50 for just a bit more versatility, 5 watts seems to be a great fit for many uses, I find my 15 watt tube right now is too loud at my house

The answer to that is.... NO sad.gif
Was going to for christmas but havn't yet, and now it's sold out again so it'll take to end of january until I get my next shot at it. I've got my mind set on it so until anything more appealing shows up I'm getting this one wink.gif

A Mesa 5:50 would be great for both gigs, rehearsal and practice. Seem like a fine amp to have.

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 21 2008, 02:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
Could ebay it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACKSTAR-HT-5-HEAD-...%3A1|240%3A1318

QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 21 2008, 01:07 AM) *
The answer to that is.... NO sad.gif
Was going to for christmas but havn't yet, and now it's sold out again so it'll take to end of january until I get my next shot at it. I've got my mind set on it so until anything more appealing shows up I'm getting this one wink.gif

A Mesa 5:50 would be great for both gigs, rehearsal and practice. Seem like a fine amp to have.

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Dec 21 2008, 11:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Was looking at this because I could really use a tube amp for home practice instead of my current solid state..

But I was wondering if the 5w is enough to also play small gigs, lets say 100-200 person crowd?

And would you recommend getting the mini-stack or just the amp + some 4x12 cab?

I also see it has a headphones in jack.. Can you play it without hooking it up with some speakers and only using your headphones?

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:31 PM