Input Jack Problem, How do I fix this?
thefireball
Jun 7 2015, 02:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys -

My Ibanez RG8 string has an issue with the input jack. When the cable is fully plugged in (flush with the guitar body) the sound shorts out - silence. I have to pull the cable back out of the guitar ever so slightly to get it to have full on connection. How can I fix this problem? I have tried 2 cables, both of which work fine in my other guitars.

Please help unsure.gif

Thanks,
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 07:23 PM
Learning Roadie
It mostly likely is the jack - a loose connection possibly.

I had the same problem with my SG - I de soldered the connections and then soldered them back and it fixed the issue. Changing the jack completely wouldn't hurt either as the lugs can get either worn or corroded.

Can you get to the jack to see the hot and ground wires?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 7 2015, 08:06 PM
GMC:er

Is the jack input like this on that guitar? if yes then bad news you'll need to change the internal part where it grabs the jack...its something like this; http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachm...mp;d=1381469573

As cool this system is as it can't break like classics, inner parts can't be reached so the part has to change. Shouldn't be very expensive though, if you can't find it in a store/can't buy online for some reason most luthiers has this part you can buy from them.

Problem is some jacks (tips) are very slightly thicker than others, even with mid. priced jacks like Fender this can happen from cable to cable. So if you use the thicker one for a while, then the guitar won't accept thinner.

So if this turns out to be the problem, don't use that jack ever again, keep it spare for minimum usage or change its tips.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 7 2015, 08:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 08:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Nice one Mertay!

I assumed it was a standard jack - I've never had to deal with one like that.

Do the pros outweigh the cons?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 7 2015, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 7 2015, 07:36 PM) *
Nice one Mertay!

I assumed it was a standard jack - I've never had to deal with one like that.

Do the pros outweigh the cons?

My previous guitar (was also ibanez) had the classic type input, the "big jack tip fix" was so easy on it I admit but I also broke its plate 2 maybe 3 times on stage+even at home once sad.gif

I actually experienced the same possible problem as thefireball's only 3 months ago (first time on an almost 20 year old guitar). The luthier said it had to change and I was unhappy at first cause 10 years ago such parts weren't easy to find and was expensive.

Turns out not so much today, sure more expensive than the classic type but nothing too bad. Specially one feels very safe if he steps on the jack on stage, can pull bad but pretty much impossible to break. So today I'd probably choose the modern over classic although my experience 3 months ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 09:37 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 7 2015, 08:29 PM) *
My previous guitar (was also ibanez) had the classic type input, the "big jack tip fix" was so easy on it I admit but I also broke its plate 2 maybe 3 times on stage+even at home once sad.gif

I actually experienced the same possible problem as thefireball's only 3 months ago (first time on an almost 20 year old guitar). The luthier said it had to change and I was unhappy at first cause 10 years ago such parts weren't easy to find and was expensive.

Turns out not so much today, sure more expensive than the classic type but nothing too bad. Specially one feels very safe if he steps on the jack on stage, can pull bad but pretty much impossible to break. So today I'd probably choose the modern over classic although my experience 3 months ago.

I'll have to check them out - I have a whole container of "classic" switch craft jacks but never heard of this style tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 7 2015, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 7 2015, 08:37 PM) *
I'll have to check them out - I have a whole container of "classic" switch craft jacks but never heard of this style tongue.gif

You most probably not alone smile.gif They were ibanez specific I guess (and only japanese made models for many years) but to be honest I never checked other brands/models if they're using them.

Also, years ago it wasn't possible to convert a classic input to this type but everyday a new product is released so who knows let me know if you find something smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 7 2015, 11:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Yep it sure is. Is it hard to change? Looks like I just unscrew the jack from both sides and resolder the wires on the new ones, right? How will I know which wires go on what with the new one?

Would it be bad to buy one like this? Looks to be it, but seems a little low in price. Maybe that's ok? ProLine seems to be the low end in stuff that i have bought.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 11:05 PM
Learning Roadie
More or less:

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 8 2015, 11:05 AM
Instructor
My advice is to replace jack input anytime You find out something happens. Those inputs are unfortunately not "easy fix" and might simply failat any moment. It's not worth the risk it will break totaly on the gig. Might be just me but somehow (brand doesn't matter) I experience much more problems with those kind of jack inputs than the simpler, plate ones

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 8 2015, 11:31 AM
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electro...utput_Jack.html

I asked my luthier and he said he used this as replacement, seems more affordable and still tight after 3 months...The part you shared also seems cool really up to you what you use.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 8 2015, 12:05 PM
Instructor
Looks like the Switchcraft I've lately purchased.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 9 2015, 04:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, just thought I would let you all know I gave it a shot at fixing it, and it works like a charm! I got the ProLine name brand I had linked to. It's a tight jack but it works great and doesn't short out. It was my second time to ever use a soldering iron, and I'm glad I did it by myself instead of taking it to a shop. Gives me confidence for changing out pickups.

I noticed the jack had varying holes and lengths that helped me distinguish which wire went to which connector. Now I hope the life of the new jack serves me well. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:05 PM