Emg 81's, Urgent!!!
jammer91
Sep 20 2007, 04:10 AM
GMC:er
This this guy whose selling used Emg 81's over the net for a good price. Ive been really looking for Emg's since theyre pretty essential for heavy metal.

I have a Epiphone limited edition 1967 Flying V with open coil humbuckers. They dont give me that metal punch im looking for.

Im not really fimiliar with emg's (its weird cause i heard it has a charger and stuff). Can you explain how it works and what to look out for?

Would Emg 81's give me the sound i want (im looking for a Bullet for my Valentine, A7x, Trivium sound)?

How do you think Emg 81 compares to seymour duncans?

Is there any other things to look out for with an EMG?

Budget: $150 max for 2 humbuckers thats good for metal.

Thanks jammer.

An example would be the sound Sean gets:
http://guitarmasterclass.net/search_result...ch=Sean+Conklin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 20 2007, 04:44 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A sound is formed from your fingers, through the pu's and the wood in the guitar further to the amp and copying a specific sound is very difficult.

For the active pu's you'd need place for a battery, which I guess the Flying V has. Get a battery holder in metal that you screw stuck to the body inside the back hatch. There's a "modification" where you add two batteries for 18V. You're getting two EMG81's right?

And to compare EMG81 (a specific pu) with Seymour Duncan (a brand) is difficult since they keep several models.

EMG81 + a hi-gain amp would get you to the sound of these bands.

EDIT: If I was unclear the batteries are regular 9V
The pu's alone won't get you there, but should be a good start.
What amp have you got today? You know, these guitarists use f ex Peavey 5150 on hi gain with a OD pedal in front so they are really pushing it over at the amp end. The amp and overdrive pedal will do the most to achive their sound, guitar and pu will add less.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 20 2007, 04:50 AM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 20 2007, 04:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
Actually my les paul is just being equipped with emg 81/85 while i'm writing this. I bought them new + install its about 230 euro which is more than 300$. So the guy must be selling his emgs at a very low price to stay in your budget.
A low-cost alternative are emg hz humbuckers. The Hz's are the passive version of the 81, which is an active humbucker.

Yes the 81's are suited for the sound you want (Trivium actually equipped their Razorbacks with emgs!) but the sound basicly comes from your amp, so you wont sound like A7X whith emgs when your amp sucks...

81's are high-output humbuckers with a so-called pre-amp booster which is great for Metal and stuff. Maybe you go to a musicstore and try some guitars with emgs on your amp so you can get a picture if its the sound you want.

Not sure about Seymour Duncans tho, heared that the Live Wire pickups are good...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
symon
Sep 20 2007, 05:29 AM
i posted the other day in regards to 81&85 EMG's https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=6712 i just had them popped into my epiphone les paul gothic and man i love them it sounded so tinny before but now it screams but like suggested by Zakk wylde in above post see if you can try a guitar with some in it
warm regards symon

This post has been edited by symon: Sep 20 2007, 05:37 AM

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 20 2007, 05:47 AM
My mates new guitars got EMG HZ's actually, if your considering the non battery variety at all, I think they sound great, good crisp distortion on the humbuckers and with the single coil versions you can get some nice cleans.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 20 2007, 06:03 AM
Dude with the type of guitar you play you gotta get new pickups.Stock pickups in those guitars are terrible for anything heavy.EMG is a good brand but i prefer Duncan myself or even Dimarzio over EMG.Just lloka round and find whats best for you.Do you want an active (with battery )pickup or a passive ?

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 20 2007, 06:28 AM
A pu that I don't like the sound of I just find uninteresting, the sound of the HZ I could describe like scratching ones nails on the black board or HZ both sound alike to me. The only pu so far I dislike to the extent it makes shiver.

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 20 2007, 07:13 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 20 2007, 06:28 AM) *
A pu that I don't like the sound of I just find uninteresting, the sound of the HZ I could describe like scratching ones nails on the black board or HZ both sound alike to me. The only pu so far I dislike to the extent it makes shiver.

I shall just assume that your ears are more finely tuned than mine. I didnt think there was too much wrong with them, pretty normal, but I didnt expect anything out of this world.

Although admittedly we did try them out on a really expensive marshall.

This post has been edited by Owen: Sep 20 2007, 07:16 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 20 2007, 07:17 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
My custom is fitted with EMG 81 and 85 pickups - instalation is as MickeM says - active so you need routing and cavity for the 9v battery. (Minor suggestion- always pull the jack out when not in use to conserve the battery smile.gif ). The 81 is a great pickup imo but I would recommend that you don't get two 81s - get something else to add a bit of warmth to the overall sound. 81s by themselves, to me, could sound too trebly or even shrill. Having sid that what I like is the breadth and 'transparency' of what is picked up.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 20 2007, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Sep 20 2007, 08:13 AM) *
I shall just assume that your ears are more finely tuned than mine. I didnt think there was too much wrong with them, pretty normal, but I didnt expect anything out of this world.

Although admittedly we did try them out on a really expensive marshall.

No man, it's just my personal preferences. The HZ are stock on plenty of low end guitars so they can't be that bad, it's just me. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:53 AM