2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Rating 5 V
The Uncreator
Jul 14 2007, 04:00 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...Reveries_Review

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jun 8 2009, 05:20 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 14 2007, 11:32 AM
GMC:er
Its a great album actually, best since Blackwater Park, but its not in everyone's best tastes.

Good review, but It might be more interesting to see you take a more critical angle? I mean, I know you love your music but is there anything noticeable that isn't perfection?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 14 2007, 12:07 PM
I've never liked this album for some reason, but I LOVE the earlier stuff.

Great review though! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 14 2007, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 14 2007, 06:32 AM) *
Its a great album actually, best since Blackwater Park, but its not in everyone's best tastes.

Good review, but It might be more interesting to see you take a more critical angle? I mean, I know you love your music but is there anything noticeable that isn't perfection?

I tend to just review my favorite albums, the ones that always get a "10". If i do a negative review i dont weant to deter someone from a potentially new favorite band of there. Im just lettin people know what i like best i guess.

PS
Im almost out All time favorite albums ive reviewed, so soon there will be less "Perfect" albums, actually the next one i have planned isnt a "10" album.

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 14 2007, 02:46 PM
I wasn't asking you to be overcritical or something and I realise Opeth are legends! laugh.gif It's just that if people are going to spend money on things its good to look at other perspectives other than your own to see if you can actually find some negative exampling.

For instance many people complain that Opeth have "no emotion" or that their long songs are purely "for show", even if you rebut these claims they are well worth putting in so people are aware of such things.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 14 2007, 06:22 PM
Hmm, i see what you mean, Although i didnt know people said they have no emotion, and there songs were for show though.

Your advice is taken though, ill try to incorporate into later reviews.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jul 15 2007, 01:02 AM
A truly amazing album, their best since Damnation imo, (wich means I consider this album as their second worst, but still a 9,9/10 smile.gif)

And I don't understand how someone can say that they don't have any emotion in their songs, but when it comes to the lenght, I guess it's just up to the listener if he/she wants short songs, or something like this, and I definetly know what I prefer. But yeah, it's good to know that a standard opeth song is really long if thats not you cup of tea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 15 2007, 03:23 AM
Godly... it was the first opeth album i bought.. the only thing i don't like is how the disk is black with black writing.. i always seem to get it mixed up with FIRE UP THE BLADES because its the same way.. anyone else have this problem biggrin.gif.. i loved this album.. i like deliverence best.. i can't wait for the new album... and the next tour....... i pray for the next tour to come to canada biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 15 2007, 01:24 PM
The only problem i had with this album is that it ended. smile.gif

+Quote Post
LanceB
Jul 15 2007, 07:44 PM
great review. I always blew off Opeth as unimportant but luckily got a chance to listen to Ghost Reveries and it completely changed my opinion!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 17 2007, 10:14 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 15 2007, 08:24 AM) *
The only problem i had with this album is that it ended. smile.gif

Agreed smile.gif Thanks for the review Uncreator, if it wasn't for this review I would hav never heard this album and I love it. Atonement and Reverie are currently my favorites. The melodies they create are so unique and their arrangements are so stellar and tight. Their drummer is great too, he really adds his own feel to the song. This album is such a rich tapestry of sound. Woot Opeth Rocks!!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 17 2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Nice Sig by the way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 18 2007, 04:33 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 17 2007, 06:52 PM) *
Thanks, Nice Sig by the way smile.gif

Thanks, Im Liking the Advent Children Sig as well...good movie wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 04:36 AM
Yeah it is, i recently bought the $40 collectors edition boxset, it comes with a whole bunch of cool stuff, including that picture of Sephiroth in my sig.

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 18 2007, 04:39 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 17 2007, 11:36 PM) *
Yeah it is, i recently bought the $40 collectors edition boxset, it comes with a whole bunch of cool stuff, including that picture of Sephiroth in my sig.

Nice, hate to go off topic but that movie is kick( ). The video games arent bad either, I still hit up the classic FF8 just for kicks laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 04:54 AM
I just beat FFVII for probably like the 30th time, i clocked out at like over 100 hours, but i finnaly beat everything, mastered all materia, and maxed out all characters, and beat every "Weapon".

Just started FFVIII today, probably like my 20th time on this one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 18 2007, 05:02 AM
Nice, I gave out on it to play more guitar.
I might start it again but I have to buy a PS1 memory card because it wont save on my PS2 one! Is that normal?

Im horrible at videogame tech stuff like that sad.gif

This post has been edited by Anastasio123: Jul 18 2007, 05:02 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 05:08 AM
I would just buy a new one off of ebay.

The best time to play Final Fantasy games is when you cant play guitar, normally ill only play one hour day, with 6-8 hours of guitar practice after that.

But once a week, i dont play guitar for a day ( i know its hard ) and just hang out, if you take a break like that, the next day youll feel even better! smile.gif and that one day where i dont play guitar, is when i play me some Final Fantasy biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 18 2007, 05:56 AM
OPETH RULES!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 15 2007, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 14 2007, 11:07 AM) *
I've never liked this album for some reason, but I LOVE the earlier stuff.

Great review though! biggrin.gif

I TAKE THIS BACK!!!

I just BARELY heard a little of each song 2 years ago when they released it. I cant believe how stupid and childish I was, becuase I decided to listen to this album again, I just started listening to it now, AND IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to jump in the river becuase of my stupitidy!!!

This album is amazing, I'm stupid.

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 15 2007, 12:37 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:48 PM