My First Recording..., ... In the style of Judas Priest
radarlove1984
Sep 8 2007, 11:00 AM
GMC:er
I've been trying to get the recording software to work for about a month, and now that it finally does, I want to post this even though it sucks. My computer died 40 seconds in, so it cuts off right when I was getting into the main solo.

I've been playing for about 9 months now. I probably have all the classic beginner mistakes, but please point them out to me anyway.

I love the solo in Judas Priest's "Living After Midnight" but didn't want to play it exactly their way. I sort of quoted the first few lines, then improvised the rest.

Any feedback would be great. I already can tell that a few of the bends are out of tune.

Sorry that it cuts off at the end like that. I'm still trying to work out the kinks in my recording equipment.

New Version Updated
1:53

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by radarlove1984: Sep 13 2007, 09:48 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  solo.mp3 ( 670.25K ) Number of downloads: 624
Attached File  Eric___Solo.mp3 ( 1.73MB ) Number of downloads: 477

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chast
Sep 8 2007, 11:05 AM
Learning Roadie
Man, thats very good for 9 months of playing guitar.
And well I have to say, that I cant find some mistakes blink.gif except some of the bends, I cant find something that disturbs me.

I want to hear more of that stuff smile.gif
Is the rhythm + solo guitar played by you ?
Or are you soloing over a backing track ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by chast: Sep 8 2007, 11:05 AM

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Sep 8 2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks!

I recorded the rhythm guitar over a drum and bass backing track. It would have easier to just download the Living After Midnight track, but I wanted to change it around a little bit.

You know... rock it up, then turn it down, rock it up then turn it down...

The rhythm was played on an SG bridge pickup and the lead was on a strat bridge pickup.

Edit -- Oh yeah, I recorded everything through a POXxt Live

This post has been edited by radarlove1984: Sep 8 2007, 11:09 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 8 2007, 11:15 AM
This is AMAZING for only 9 months!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 8 2007, 11:53 AM
Good Job smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Sep 8 2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback. So far it's been better than I expected!

I joined GMC in January of '07 and couldn't even play a pentatonic scale. The lessons here really help. Especially the music theory ones. That song is about as fast as I can play, but at least I'm not stuck in the Pentatonic minor box anymore cool.gif

Aside from the bends, can anyone spot more mistakes? I think I'm in time with the backing track, but my ears aren't that sensitive yet.

Tomorrow I'll try to post the full version. I don't know why my computer stopped recording, but the actual version was about 3 and half minutes long.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 8 2007, 09:24 PM
Moderation Policy Director
That was pretty cool RadarLove - a vindication of your intense theory studies smile.gif Can't wait to hear the full version smile.gif

My initial impressions were that all the stuff you played was pretty spot on musically - the right scales, some nice bends and runs. the only thing missing is more experience and you can't be blamed for that after only 9 months, that is an amazing achievement!

More experience will tighten up you timing a little, and you will start learning and applying more complex phrasings etc, but as I said, this is pretty darn good for your experience level - another GMC poster child !

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 8 2007, 10:51 PM
Instructor
9 months ?? great job guy !!!!! You are walking in the correct way, study hard, be patiente and serious with your playing and the World will be yours biggrin.gif

Liiiiivinnng afteeer miiiiidnight !!!! yeah, Judas Rules !!!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Sep 9 2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback. And Andrew, thanks again for answering the hundred or so questions I had about the POD wink.gif

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Sep 13 2007, 09:24 AM
Okay, I managed to get the recording software to work. It still cuts off at the end, but only because I realized I was playing the same stuff over again and didn't want to sound repetitive.

I'm trying to make this into my first instrumental song.

It's VERY rough around the edges (first take, improvised, a few mistakes) but so far I like the direction it's going in.

Feedback would be great. Should I keep working on it? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks guys cool.gif

Oh yeah, in case you didn't read the top, here's some info:

* I've been playing for 9 months
* Solo was recorded on a Strat
* Rhythm is a COMPLETE rip off from Judas Priest and was recorded on an SG
* Drums and Bass came from a "Living After Midnight" backing track I found a google.
* Everything was recorded on a PODxt Live

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Eric___Solo.mp3 ( 1.73MB ) Number of downloads: 187

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 PM