Jan 6 2009, 08:20 AM
GMC:er
Yep !

I've been using this setup for a while now :

- Ibanez Jem 7DBK into a
- Line 6 Toneport UX2 directly into
- My Dual Core E6750, 3 gb RAM , 250 GB HDD with
- Ableton Live 6 and the Real instrument addition
- Guitar sound comes from Gearbox sofware ( or Podfarm ). This came with the Line6 UX2.
- For drums / synth I have a Trigger Finger M-audio and Axiom 25 from M-audio.

Now, I noticed that the sound I am getting from my guitar dont have the attack and power I want. I first thought it was my guitar. So I tried it with an Ibanez JCRG and A Cort. Still the same. So I was beginning to suspect my Line 6 was the problem.

Briefly , I want to upgrade to something that will get me a good sound to record. I am pretty happy with my Computer , my recording software and the midi keyboard and stuff.

What I would want to change is this :

- The soundcard ( This is imo the biggest problem along with the software ? Someone correct me if I'm wrong )
- The software ( This is giving my me sound I dont like ? )
- I think about buying maybe the Addictive Drums ?

So the whole problem here is around not being able to record a good sound...

What do you guys use for recording ?
What would you recommend ? ( Guitar rig 3 , Eleven , others ? )

I am open to other stuff to, I am in desperate need for help ! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ijdgaf
Jan 6 2009, 10:22 AM
Hi,

Well, of course all equipment that you use in your recording chain affect the signal in a certain way and of course the weakest link always should be addressed next when wanting to upgrade.

I personally don't have experience with the line 6, so i cannot really comment on that, so i hope someone else with this device (and the corresponding software) can jump in here and help you out.

Are all your used effects from the line 6 or do you have any more hardware in the chain (i.e. compression or so on?)?

again, i don't know the line 6, but from experience with other emulating software i have to say that usually there is still a difference to "the real deal", which is understandable if you have dedicated hardware that was built to perform certain actions or if you just try to emulate it. i also don't know about the quality of the a/d-converters that are used in line 6 equipment, which are responsible for converting the analog sound to digital data (i guess the important factor of quality here does not need to be explained any further smile.gif)

when it comes to the software, i can't say much about ableton either
i do have a couple of friends, that use it and quality-wise their results sound good, so i guess the rendering algorythm that is used to bounce files to track should not be a limiting factor (if the rest is done properly)

the rest of your tracks (drums, bass etc.) sounds good and is it just the guitar sound that is not allright, or is the rest affected as well?

a VERY important factor that is often overlooked when it comes to home-studios is the monitoring and room treatment/room layout. it is close to impossible to get a really good mix, if you don't deal with sound-reflections bouncing off walls in the (mostly rectangle-shaped) room.

I personally have a couple of hardware soundmodules, turntables and synths that go via an allen & heath mixing console via a apogee duet a/d-d/a-converter into a macbook pro.. I haven't really tried recording my guitar yet, because for this i still need more practise wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
not2secure4u
Jan 6 2009, 10:45 AM
Are all your used effects from the line 6 or do you have any more hardware in the chain (i.e. compression or so on?)?

Yes, everything comes from the software provided with the soundcard. I do not use a physical amp in my recording process atm, there is just the amp modeling software that comes with my line6.

again, i don't know the line 6, but from experience with other emulating software i have to say that usually there is still a difference to "the real deal", which is understandable if you have dedicated hardware that was built to perform certain actions or if you just try to emulate it. i also don't know about the quality of the a/d-converters that are used in line 6 equipment, which are responsible for converting the analog sound to digital data (i guess the important factor of quality here does not need to be explained any further smile.gif)

Totally correct, and I there my Line6 lacks here.

I can try to explain it like this : If you browse vids here, let's say Muris Advanced Phrygian soloing and A LOT of others , just took this example. When he plays the first fast part, you can hear a very scratchy sound coming from his pick. I do not have this in any way, I only get a very dull almost Eric Johnson style sound. What I am trying to do is get a very versatile warm sound.

when it comes to the software, i can't say much about ableton either
i do have a couple of friends, that use it and quality-wise their results sound good, so i guess the rendering algorythm that is used to bounce files to track should not be a limiting factor (if the rest is done properly)

I think ableton isnt the issue here either, unless someone else has got another opinion about that ? This is the only software I've been using.
the rest of your tracks (drums, bass etc.) sounds good and is it just the guitar sound that is not allright, or is the rest affected as well?

ATM the drums are a VST that comes with Ableton, they arent super but I know that I'll be getting a decent sound when I buy another VST like Addictive drums , EZ drummer.

a VERY important factor that is often overlooked when it comes to home-studios is the monitoring and room treatment/room layout. it is close to impossible to get a really good mix, if you don't deal with sound-reflections bouncing off walls in the (mostly rectangle-shaped) room.

I totally agree on that one. But I dont have this problem at the moment since I dont work with mics yet.

+Quote Post
Ijdgaf
Jan 6 2009, 03:15 PM
well, maybe it's the settings on the a/d-converters and its' software (effects, emulated amp etc.), but this is something i cannot help you with, as i have never worked with this piece of equipment

QUOTE (not2secure4u @ Jan 6 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I totally agree on that one. But I dont have this problem at the moment since I dont work with mics yet.

please do not mix this up with reflections when recording using mics!
this is also applicable for mixing of already recorded tracks as the sound of your nearfield-monitors will be reflected of the rooms side-walls and ceiling before it reaches your ear wink.gif

this is why control rooms in big studios also have acoustic treatment or are even built with all walls being in certain angles towards each other (and not parallel)

i do not believe that this is causing any issue here though smile.gif

+Quote Post
not2secure4u
Jan 6 2009, 03:30 PM
O ok , yea I dont think thats my problem either. Thanks for clearing that up.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2009, 04:36 PM
Instructor
@not2secure4u

It took me about 6 months to get the proper sounds with Line6 Toneport man, so I suggest that you be patient with the device and just try to tweak the presets on your own to create a good sound. I can send you some cool presets if you want, you can ask them on my board (check the signature).

Here's a couple of tips in recording guitars:

- Make a good preset for recordind: often, premade presets that come with Gearbox and POD Farm are way to processed, and too wet. When you record it is best to keep the signal as simple as you can, one amp, one pedal, and a small reverb. I record without reverb and delay from Gearbox, since I can add it later as much as I want and have a better control over the signal in general). When you build a preset, it is always best to keep the distortion down. When you record, the guitars will often be more distorted/compressed in the mix, which will make your sound flat and without dynamics. Now creating dynamics is not an easy task with modellers, but it is doable with Gearbox, and all you have to do is tweak it and always record with less drive than you think you will need. In time you'll get the hang of it. Make a preset where you are on the verge to "push" the sound from the strings, and it will come out nice in the mix.
- Get a good healthy signal: when recording, always make sure that your DAW, Abletone, gets a strong signal, but without clipping. Clipping happens when you cross the 0dB limit, it will show in the input meter.
- EQ and add FX to the guitar track: when you finish the recording, EQ guitar a bit, just to make sure that it pops out in the mix nicely. Also add some reverb, delay, compression, or whatever you thing it is necessary in your current song project.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
not2secure4u
Jan 6 2009, 05:37 PM
Done, I will look at that. Thx for the information because I was beginning to think my ears were getting paranoia biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2009, 06:48 PM
Instructor
No problem man, I'm here to help. You can find the presets on my board now, I've packed a whole bunch of them. They may not be all usable, but you will find something to your liking I hope. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 6 2009, 07:48 PM
Actually I've noticed a loss in dynamics with the me line6 podxt as well. However, it's much better when I maximize the Channel Volume until it's close before clipping. I ordered a Boss GT10, which is supposed to be better in this regard . I'll write a review about the GT-10 when I get it. What works quite well for me is recording a Tube Preamp (ENGL e530), directly. For clean I don't use any speaker simulation. For the HiGain Sounds it's needed. But HiGain sounds are far less dynamic so the compression hurts less. wink.gif

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:02 AM