Calling All Giants, What guitars do you find fit you best?
Goliath
Dec 17 2007, 05:10 AM
GMC:er
With the acquisition of my new DV8-R, I felt what it feels like to play a guitar being normal height. It was positioned nicely in the front and center of my body and all the frets were easily accessible, i could even play the guitar lower than I usually do since it didn't have it's rightward tendency. So I get to thinking, being 6'-6" there's lots of stuff that is a struggle to use that are designed for normal people, so why not make a thread where the big guys can recommend gear that's more amenable to their stature?

So I'll share my experiences playing different shaped guitars.

Super Strat - if it's 25.5" scale, I can play it more easily, these guitars have a tendency to swing towards my picking hand which make playing the higher frets on the EAD strings more difficult. Playing these sitting down, if it's not a 24.5" scale guitar, it's going to sit too low on my knee and I ALWAYS have to play with my foot up on something with the guitar on my left knee, classical style. This is probably one of the better shapes to play for me, but I do kind of have to jack the strap up to play standing up.

Regular V - Too small if it's not 25.5". usually these are not balanced well due to less than ideal strap placement, the broader shoulders make the guitar hang awkwardly. Not a huge fan.

Offset V - Had an RR3, it was too small. Played an Alexi Laiho signature, it's bigger and better balanced (RR3 is top heavy), but still kind of a pain.

"King" V - This is where I'd put my DV8-R, and if I'm mis using the terminology, then too bad. This is by far the biggest/longest guitar I've owned and it's the only shape I'm going to buy from now on. Playing sitting down is somewhat challenging, but once you figure it out, it's just as comfortable. I place the V over my right knee then pinch the lower fin between my thigh and calf and use my left leg to adjust the angle of the fretboard (how vertical it is). Really not so bad. If you're over 6'-3" you owe it to yourself to play one of these shaped guitars. The shape is a stretched out V.

ML - sits WAY too low on my thigh, have to play it classically, fairly balanced however. pretty good to play standing up.

SG - this guitar cheats toward my picking hand worse than strats do because they lack the body cutaway that kind of holds the strat in place when you're standing up. I feel myself constantly fighting the guitar to stay in the center of my body.

Z/Star (explorer, Kelley, etc) - not played one for more than a brief moment whilst sitting, so I'll abstain.

LP style - same as the SG, they fall to my right pretty quickly and are not conducive to moving around while playing. Not a big deal when chording, can be a huge pain if you let a lead sneak up on you while you're mucking around. However, since the LP is so heavy, it sits at a fairly steep angle for me otherwise, so it can be easy to adjust to get your hands on some leads.

So to my other titans on the board, what is your experience with different guitar shapes?

Basically my rule of thumb when buying is "25.5 or bust", so Gibson and I don't get along all that well.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Goliath: Dec 17 2007, 05:12 AM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 17 2007, 05:48 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
nice post man. I hope it helps some of you taller guys out! oh, I forgot, how bout them falcons! J/k! Panthers not that much better!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: Dec 17 2007, 05:51 AM

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 17 2007, 05:51 AM
WELL......
I'm a shrimp. laugh.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 17 2007, 11:22 AM
Instructor
I played only gibson LP, tele, strat and explorer shaped guitars. Explorer guitar maybe looks cool, but it is not to pradtical for sitting and practising. I find Gibsons a little too heavy for my taste, but very soft on the fingers and nice for playing. Strat shape is the ideal shape for me - the wight and the shape are just perfect. and it looks really nice. Tele shape is bad because on most of those you dont have an right arm rest, but other than that its fine.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Dec 17 2007, 10:36 PM
i hear buckethead has custom les pauls and flyng vs that are like way bigger than normal ones, maybe you hould check those out

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 17 2007, 10:49 PM
Lets go fishing!
Buckets guitars are super large scale !! They are all custom shops though so im not sure if you can buy em sad.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
chast
Dec 17 2007, 10:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 17 2007, 10:49 PM) *
Buckets guitars are super large scale !! They are all custom shops though so im not sure if you can buy em sad.gif

Buckethead is super large biggrin.gif
I only played strat and LP so far, didnt test much guitars yet.
But I think I prefer a small scale, and I dont prefer Strat or LP, they both are comfortable for me smile.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 18 2007, 03:53 AM
That makes sense, it seems Bucket plays a lot of Flying V's, that make sense since the King V is an elongated V. You think they're baritone?

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
PacmanProduction...
Dec 18 2007, 03:57 AM
From: Pass Christian, MS (10 minutes from Maximus's house)
is this what you mean by "KING V"??

V Style Guitar

--------------------
"You don't play the guitar, You play the music"

MY GEAR:

Greg Bennett Avion
Alvarez MF 60C
Peavey Rage 158
Zoom G1X Multi-effects Pedal

GO SSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 18 2007, 04:04 AM
That would certainly qualify, but I was talking more along the lines of

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dea...itar?sku=514043

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jac...itar?sku=511448

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:08 PM