What Guitar Next, I want another guitar, what should it be.
CompleteNewbie
Dec 7 2008, 09:13 AM
GMC:er
Ok,

I have the bug!!!!!

I would like to get another guitar, but because I have no prior knowledge of guitars, I dont really know what I should be looking for. My first and only guitar is a squire Fender Strat (beginners kit). It's fine for now, as I am still not very good. But getting better!!!!!!. biggrin.gif

I do like the look of the Epiphone SG- 400 (But that is an Angus Young thing, and I can't aford a Gibson) biggrin.gif

I don't want to spend huge sums of money, but I'm assuming I need to spend a few hundred GBP.

What would your suggestions be when I start looking? what I'm looking for is your ideas as to what I should go and look at and try in the music shops.

Any help would be appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 7 2008, 10:18 AM
Learning Tone Master
How much are you willing to spend?
What styles/shapes/coulours do you want?
Do you want a tremolo?
What musical style do you play?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jesse
Dec 7 2008, 10:33 AM
DUde, GET THE G400! I got one, just check my pic. See it in action at www.youtube.com/epiphonefan. I love my sg, it' s lightweight, easy to reach high frets and it has a really nice tone.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 7 2008, 11:33 AM
QUOTE (CompleteNewbie @ Dec 7 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Ok,

I have the bug!!!!!

I would like to get another guitar, but because I have no prior knowledge of guitars, I dont really know what I should be looking for. My first and only guitar is a squire Fender Strat (beginners kit). It's fine for now, as I am still not very good. But getting better!!!!!!. biggrin.gif

I do like the look of the Epiphone SG- 400 (But that is an Angus Young thing, and I can't aford a Gibson) biggrin.gif

I don't want to spend huge sums of money, but I'm assuming I need to spend a few hundred GBP.

What would your suggestions be when I start looking? what I'm looking for is your ideas as to what I should go and look at and try in the music shops.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ephiphone SG is a decent guitar. I am sure you can get one that's used too!
An Epiphone Les Paul wouldn't be bad either.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 7 2008, 02:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
If you already have srat and like it, you could upgrade to a Fender mexican strat.

The Epi G400 is a really good guitar for the price, well finished, stays in tune, comfortable, nice action... plus it sounds quite good. That guitar is hard to beat given its cheap price. One step above would be a Gibson SG faded/special.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 7 2008, 02:55 PM
I believe there is 3 mainstream guitar types, Fender strat likes, gibson lespaul likes, and all the others... If you currently have a strat like guitar I recommend you a used middle range priced LesPaul style guitar to see and feel the counterpart of what you own. Then after a few years you may decide what you really want as a third guitar...

Hope you find this usefull. smile.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 7 2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Strat guitars and Gibson guitars are very different guitars because the way they are built and type of pickups they're using. Strat has that single could sound, and Gibson has humbucking sound in general. When you go to the store, try the guitars on the amp that you like the most, and try a lot of them. When you fin some guitar that you like how it sounds, then narrow your comparations to similar type of guitars with similar pickups. Check how they feel when you play, how thick is the neck, the small details, quality of built. Pick every note and hear how it sounds, and play a bit on clean and distortion. Spend some time in the store, and even go to different stores for some time, even 2-3 times per store just to be sure. After you try some 10-15 guitars, you will have a much more clearer picture about their sound and what you like and don't like mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
Dec 7 2008, 10:38 PM
I suggest you go for a good mid range guitar. Don't buy another beginner model. You will get bored with it very soon.

Follow Ivan's advices and try several models.

Two cost-effective models at that mid-range price are mexican fender stratocaster and epiphone les paul custom. wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 7 2008, 10:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
The best way to find out what kind of guitar you should buy next, is to go into a guitar shop and go feeling up some guitars... =)

I started out with a Squier Strat as well. And after a trip into my local guitar shop, I ended up with a Schecter Omen 6 wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Dec 8 2008, 04:07 AM
+1 to the mexican strat idea. Those are really really great guitars for the price.

SG's are cool and all, but the necks are fat as hell. I mean, try it out, but I think you'll prefer the strat since you learned on one. Gibson and Fender are two completely different feeling guitars.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
CompleteNewbie
Dec 8 2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks Guys.

At least when I do go and look for a new one. I'll have an idea,

cheers!!!!!

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:36 AM